Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

5 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

You could well be correct.

The points are really:

1). Tomorrow the two decisions would be the opposite and still be correct.

2). No one knows where the feck we are with it

1) Tomorrow the two decisions would be exactly the same under the current rules.

2) I agree, as this thread is proving.

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

https://downloads.theifab.com/downloads/presentation-of-all-changes-and-clarifications-to-the-laws-2022-23?l=en

I don't see how. Page 17 details the handball rule. The line should be drawn from the armpit.

331557771_729973271858841_70777759448804

Nope. That just clarifies where the arm starts, and thus how much of the arm should be excluded from the decision. 

Offside is measured from whichever bit in green is nearest the goal line. So the outside of the upper arm/shoulder (obviously assuming head/foot etc not nearer) 

Screenshot_2023-02-20-09-26-36-465-edit_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

https://downloads.theifab.com/downloads/presentation-of-all-changes-and-clarifications-to-the-laws-2022-23?l=en

I don't see how. Page 17 details the handball rule. The line should be drawn from the armpit.

331557771_729973271858841_70777759448804

His armpit would make zero sense. His arm is a straight line in this example, it is as simple as they get. You take the part of the shoulder that's nearest the goal. 

It's only when you get an angled arm there it starts getting a questionable area and why they clarify where you take the measurement from then. 

41 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

You could well be correct.

The points are really:

1). Tomorrow the two decisions would be the opposite and still be correct.

2). No one knows where the feck we are with it

But they wouldn't. Draw the lines and they are correct decisions. If they were given the other way around, they'd both be wrong... but they weren't. 

36 minutes ago, Ricey said:

1) Tomorrow the two decisions would be exactly the same under the current rules.

2) I agree, as this thread is proving.

I just don't understand why they don't show the full decision making process for all decisions. It would educate people for a start and provide consistency. 

One week you see verticals, one week you don't. One week you see the full working out, one week you don't. It's nonsense and just breeds mistrust. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is right. 

Perspective or not, it literally shows the line not going through the armpit. If it does, Rashford is off. 

Big 6 get that extra foot by the looks of it!

Fuming and of course no mention of it anywhere!

14 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Yet the spurs image shows this wasn’t the case. 

I disagree with how you see this and not convinced it’s as accurate you you seem to believe.

The image from yesterday has a line drawn down to the line across the pitch 

the images from the spurs game did not - i haven’t seen any images from the spurs still that showed the down lines - that is my issue 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Yet the spurs image shows this wasn’t the case. 

I disagree with how you see this and not convinced it’s as accurate you you seem to believe.

It's as accurate as the still-required human input allows it to be. A lot more accurate than someone running the line, but not perfect. 

My problem is that the chimera of perfect accuracy (which is what people claim they want) is driving the current VAR process for offside, when it should be driven by ensuring that the preferred outcome (from a neutral's POV!) of both the Barnes and Rashford goals standing. Even when it's fully tech'd I'd prefer it to slightly favour the attacker e.g. has to be offside in the stopped frame and the frames either side 

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

Not through the armpit, in line horizontally with the bottom of the armpit.

image.thumb.png.a0ee64b7bd838ea30d822b1964caf830.png

2 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Nope. That just clarifies where the arm starts, and thus how much of the arm should be excluded from the decision. 

Offside is measured from whichever bit in green is nearest the goal line. So the outside of the upper arm/shoulder (obviously assuming head/foot etc not nearer) 

Screenshot_2023-02-20-09-26-36-465-edit_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

So not his elbow then? :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

His armpit would make zero sense. His arm is a straight line in this example, it is as simple as they get. You take the part of the shoulder that's nearest the goal. 

It's only when you get an angled arm there it starts getting a questionable area and why they clarify where you take the measurement from then. 

"Armpit" is the word they use in the rules.

You know a ref has made a bad error when even Dermot Gallagher says the player in question was very lucky not to be sent off .

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11095/12815779/ref-watch-former-premier-league-referee-dermot-gallagher-on-lee-masons-departure-nick-pope-red-card-and-much-more-live

He was extremely lucky. I think it's a red card. If you put your studs into someone's knee that high, it's dangerous. 

"The one thing it can't be is a free kick only. The referee should punish on the field. If the referee gives a red card, it would never get overturned."”

Edited by Super_horns

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

But they changed the interpretation to be the bottom of the armpit which is where the t shirt line comes in as it’s drawn across from where the armpit meets the torso 

previously handballs were being given for balls hitting the shoulder which is bizarre 

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

You posted the *handball rules* to define where the arm starts (they use the armpit because there's no equivalent fixed point on the outer arm), not the rule to say which part of the arm should be used in an offside decision

Tbh your other reply (to me this time) means I'm pretty sure we're in 'bored and boring troll' territory now

• Like 1

VAR isnt the problem.

The problem is stupid laws implemented by people who have no clue.

No one knows where to draw these lines from. No one knows where an armpit begins. No one scores a goal with their armpit. And the technology is not sophisticated enough to see exactly when the ball has been kicked.

Add that to the fact referees draw the lines on the wrong players, or just dont draw the lines at all, theres your problem.

And then after every cock up, the laws are re-written. So any decision can be right or wrong depending on the day, the person in charge, and the laws of that day.

• Like 2