Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Yesterday's Man City game was pretty grim to watch. The Sterling goal that was allowed looked more offside than the one that was disallowed. His armpit was offside, if that. I don't think anybody would have really cared if both of his goals yesterday were allowed as they were for all intents and purposes level, and nobody would've been screaming for handball today after Wolves' disallowed goal. 

That said, I agree with @foxfanazer that today was the new handball rule in action, and VAR correctly ruled it out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Today wasn't a VAR issue to be fair. The handball rule has changed so the VAR was only used to confirm whether the ball had struck an arm which it had

But it was - because both sides were setup ready for a kick-off, both accepting it was a goal - and then, the games suddenly restarted and there's a 'hang on' what's happened here?

So even if the decision was the correct one in terms of the games laws - is this the best method of going about it? 

Was the way the decision communicated in the ground by the officials / screens good enough? 

Did it feel like there was too much time in-between the goal being awarded and the correction? 

There's plenty to discuss about the application, even if you agree with the ultimate decision - and of course, there will be more, both involving us and others. 

Initially I was all in favour of giving the refs and lino's some help as the pace of the game is so quick.

But after this weekend I'm not convinced VAR is right in it's current form. The Man City game was like watching the NFL and was ruined as a spectacle IMO.

I'm confused to fvck about it all if I'm honest and I hate the fact that initial celebrations are then overturned. It's as if you now need to wait after the review until celebrating which kills all of the joy and spontaneity of the game.

Sort it out and sort it out quickly.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

But it was - because both sides were setup ready for a kick-off, both accepting it was a goal - and then, the games suddenly restarted and there's a 'hang on' what's happened here?

So even if the decision was the correct one in terms of the games laws - is this the best method of going about it? 

Was the way the decision communicated in the ground by the officials / screens good enough? 

Did it feel like there was too much time in-between the goal being awarded and the correction? 

There's plenty to discuss about the application, even if you agree with the ultimate decision - and of course, there will be more, both involving us and others. 

The correct decision by the letter of the law was made so a game wasn't decided on a incorrect handball decision. Im not completely sold on VAR but it was used correctly today

They've brought it in for a reason. Referees are missing too many of these calls

Edited by foxfanazer

Someone will need to explain the new handball rule to Wolves fans, they seem completely oblivious, some sad norris was trying to desperately explain how hard done by they'd been to Leicester fans, as it wasn't a "clear and obvious error". Still, they're used to Wily Boly being allowed to punch the ball into the net to score goals, so for them, Handball Hotspur and Burnley fans, it's going to be a difficult transition to the fact you're not allowed to base all your set piece routines around chucking the ball into the box while waving your arms round like a wacky inflatable tube man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Was massively pro. Take it all back now. 

That was awful today, will kill everything that makes football amazing.

Be interested to hear your rationale for this. 

If you were massively pro, that would imply you were in favour of correct decisions being made (with the background that there have already been numerous examples of goals overturned/celebrations being cut short/length of time it takes to make decisions etc etc) 

What has changed based on today? The correct decision was made. 

• Like 1

In between for now. It is getting quicker at making decisions and will take some getting used to. Am sure it will pin us back with a disallowed goal at some point or another, but it's nice knowing that it is there. Was at the opposite end but it looked like a perfectly good goal and no-one around me appealed for handball against Boly, and to be fair it had been coming after Wolves came flying out of the blocks in the second half.

the handball rule is ridiculous and lazy.

they've made it easy to adjudicate instead of working out if its intentional.

linesman not calling offside and letting play go as instructed,why do that 

They say it will time to work out to use and they will be errors as they get use to it.Why???is it that hard to watch a replay?

Worked for us today it that was harsh. You could tell by OUR players(Hamza n Vardy  especially) they just wanted to kick off. Most us the fans around me were oblivious to any foul play let alone any chance the goal would be overruled. They need to highlight the reason why VAR is being used i.e possible handball. Today shouldn't have been a VAR decision surely. Soon we won't need a ref, it'll just be done know it all FIFA champion who can adjudicate from the stands!!!

Guest MattP
12 minutes ago, martyn said:

Be interested to hear your rationale for this. 

If you were massively pro, that would imply you were in favour of correct decisions being made (with the background that there have already been numerous examples of goals overturned/celebrations being cut short/length of time it takes to make decisions etc etc) 

What has changed based on today? The correct decision was made. 

Because I thought it would be implemented in clear cut "clear error" decisions. 

Today not a single person disputed that goal in the stadium and it's ruled out because of these new bizarre rules.

Everyone knew it was a goal in normal football circumstances. I didn't realise we would be overturning decisions like this. 

We'll be on the end of it one week.

There was potentially a massive talking point today for me. When Perez clearly handled the ball to bring it under control, if we had gone on and scored I have no doubt that it would have been disallowed.

But.....

We got a corner from the resulting attack. If we had scored from the corner the goal would have stood. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Deucalion said:

Think back to all the times either Leicester or England have had the outcome of a game ruined due to a bad decision. 

Maradona's Hand of God

David Speedie at Wembley

And I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I know there are many, many more.

Could England have won the World Cup in 1986?  Could Leicester have been founder members of the Premier League?

if VAR means an short, uncomfortable wait, while an issue is resolved, then surely it has to be worth it to ensure outcomes are fair?

But they are clearly  very obviously incorrect decisions. Had England gone out of a world cup to a goal like Jesus scored yesterday would anyone actually be complaining?

5 minutes ago, Raj said:

Worked for us today it that was harsh. You could tell by OUR players(Hamza n Vardy  especially) they just wanted to kick off. Most us the fans around me were oblivious to any foul play let alone any chance the goal would be overruled. They need to highlight the reason why VAR is being used i.e possible handball. Today shouldn't have been a VAR decision surely. Soon we won't need a ref, it'll just be done know it all FIFA champion who can adjudicate from the stands!!!

I'm sure they weren't too disappointed lol

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Because I thought it would be implemented in clear cut "clear error" decisions. 

Today not a single person disputed that goal in the stadium and it's ruled out because of these new bizarre rules.

Everyone knew it was a goal in normal football circumstances. I didn't realise we would be overturning decisions like this. 

We'll be on the end of it one week.

So your issue is then surely with the rule, not VAR?

"IFAB law states that it is a handball offence if a player gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores in the opponents’ goal or creates a goal-scoring opportunity. It doesn’t matter if it’s accidental" 

VAR showed the ball hit an arm leading to a goal. Therefore a clear error based on the new rule, surely? 

• Like 2

Have to say that being at the stadium the experience is very poor. The problem is you can’t see what the VAR team is looking at so you’re left sitting there clueless as to what’s even being looked at. 

For me the footage should be shown shown on the TV as they are looking at it.

Other than that if the correct decision is made I’m for it but it’s current implementation needs improvement.