Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

11 hours ago, StanSP said:

Like that explanation from Dale Johnson. Explains it clearly. 

Surprised no one else on here has done that.

Does his explanation include whether or not the image is captured at the exact moment the ball has left the players foot? where is the evidence to say it has, i don't see any lines or rings around the ball.

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Does his explanation include whether or not the image is captured at the exact moment the ball has left the players foot? where is the evidence to say it has, i don't see any lines or rings around the ball.

24 million dollar question and currently we just have to accept that they freeze the image at the correct moment. 
auto offsides will lose this as there is a sensor in the ball which freezes all the player positions at the moment it is struck 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

24 million dollar question and currently we just have to accept that they freeze the image at the correct moment. 
auto offsides will lose this as there is a sensor in the ball which freezes all the player positions at the moment it is struck 

Good, but atm, the problem is, they are using a system that isn't fit for purpose , and games are being won or lost because of it. If we go down because of a 1 goal difference, it would be because barnes was denied his goal against spurs, what's that worth maybe £200,000,000, all because of some knob can't make a correct decision because he hasn't been provided with the tools to do his job, and that's not right, and using the old "these things equal themselves out over a season" is no longer an arguement because they've introduced technology that now is suppossed to make offsides black or white. I say, drop var for offsides, then come back when it's proven to work and is 100% correct.

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Good, but atm, the problem is, they are using a system that isn't fit for purpose , and games are being won or lost because of it. If we go down because of a 1 goal difference, it would be because barnes was denied his goal against spurs, what's that worth maybe £200,000,000, all because of some knob can't make a correct decision because he hasn't been provided with the tools to do his job, and that's not right, and using the old "these things equal themselves out over a season" is no longer an arguement because they've introduced technology that now is suppossed to make offsides black or white. I say, drop var for offsides, then come back when it's proven to work and is 100% correct.

so now we are saying drop var for offsides when a few weeks ago offsides and goal line tech were listed as being the only things var should be involved with because they were factual calls and not subjective!

presumably you'll be ok with a lino missing a two yard offside call (like chelsea at cardiff ) and var isnt able to intervene ??  

Edited by st albans fox

57 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

so now we are saying drop var for offsides when a few weeks ago offsides and goal line tech were listed as being the only things var should be involved with because they were factual calls and not subjective!

presumably you'll be ok with a lino missing a two yard offside call (like chelsea at cardiff ) and var isnt able to intervene ??  

Ok, how about changing it to clear and obvious mistakes by the lino's and not using it for 10mm decisions until it can be used for 10mm decisions.

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Ok, how about changing it to clear and obvious mistakes by the lino's and not using it for 10mm decisions until it can be used for 10mm decisions.

What's the clear and obvious barometer for offsides, other than picking an arbitrary number? 

16 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's the clear and obvious barometer for offsides, other than picking an arbitrary number? 

I’ve said it since the beginning - thicker lines - that’s your margin of error - a toe outside of the thicker line is offside. You’ve had your margin of error 

• Like 1

Regardless of whether it is actually offside or not, just like barnes' goal the week before, they should both be allowed as it's just too tight. 

Remember when the attacker was supposed to be given the advantage and there should even be daylight. 

We are now disputing mm's. It's bullshit, a waste of time and not 100% reliable either. 

I've always said VAR in this country should be great for the game, but the management of it and the incompetence if our referees both on the pitch and behind a monitor is staggering and is what's ultimately ruining the game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TK95 said:

Would have been at least 10 minutes added on at the world cup and that's not an exaggeration 

Arsenal today are the perfect example of why there should be a clock on the screen that stops and starts with the play. There would be no point in chucking themselves on the floor feigning injury, and taking a minute to take a goal kick and throw in, if there was.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

The play acting from Arsenal is just utterly embarrassing. Absolutely pathetic. 

I remember when Arteta complained about another team doing it against his side earlier in the season, and thought "how ironic".

It's a pity as I like their free-flowing style.

32 minutes ago, somebum said:

We always had good goalkeepers not any more

7 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Arsenal today are the perfect example of why there should be a clock on the screen that stops and starts with the play. There would be no point in chucking themselves on the floor feigning injury, and taking a minute to take a goal kick and throw in, if there was.

And their free kicks, I thought they were forming a Cirque De Soleil routine at one point it took so f*****g long

12 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

And free kicks, at one point I thought they were forming a complex Cirque De Soleil routine as it entered its 4th minute

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The play acting from Arsenal is just utterly embarrassing. Absolutely pathetic. 

It was up there with the worst I’ve seen at our place. Wish we had equalised as that would’ve sped them up. Why did they not add the time on for all the time wasting I don’t know.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

And their free kicks, I thought they were forming a Cirque De Soleil routine at one point it took so f*****g long

The refs are partly to blame.

• Like 1