Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Literally no point in VAR being implemented in the way it is.

If the referee gets a chance to look at that on a monitor I guarantee he changes his mind. Nobody is going to look at that in the cold light of day and think it’s a foul.

Just now, Aus Fox said:

Contact doesn’t mean it’s a penalty

No it doesn’t you are right, normally a good start though. That’s a distance from a clear and obvious error for me.

Again, what are we doing never mind var. running the ball into our own box with 2 mins left.

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

No it doesn’t you are right, normally a good start though. That’s a distance from a clear and obvious error for me.

Again, what are we doing never mind var. running the ball into our own box with 2 mins left.

I don’t think Albrighton had any other option but to take the ball into the box then, did he? Shambles afterwards but he needed to win that first ball. 

1 minute ago, HoustonFox said:

It was a penalty. Albrighton should  have got rid of it and not made it even a thing 

**** off is it a penalty! That’s as clear a dive as you’ll ever see! Yes there’s contact but not enough for him to go down.

Yes Albrighton should have got rid of it, but feck me if that’s a penalty the game has gone soft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I don’t think Albrighton had any other option but to take the ball into the box then, did he? Shambles afterwards but he needed to win that first ball. 

Intially he’s heading towards it yes but kick it out for a throw man.

• Like 1

Genuinely can’t believe some people think that’s a penalty.

Where did this idea come from that “contact = penalty”? Albrighton hasn’t impeded Mane at all there, contact or not. It’s a clear dive and the referee has got to have the ability to go back and look at it again there rather than some sycophant in Stockley Park slapping him on the back and telling him it’s all good.

Albrighton was stupid but that’s just not a foul. Let alone one you give as a penalty in the last minute of the game.

Just now, Karl_LCFC said:

Mane still in possession takes the ball out of his feet AFTER the contact and then goes down. Contact doesn't mean pen, dive for me...

Exactly, how is it a foul if Albrighton hasn’t impeded him? 

2 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Genuinely can’t believe some people think that’s a penalty.

Where did this idea come from that “contact = penalty”? Albrighton hasn’t impeded Mane at all there, contact or not. It’s a clear dive and the referee has got to have the ability to go back and look at it again there rather than some sycophant in Stockley Park slapping him on the back and telling him it’s all good.

Albrighton was stupid but that’s just not a foul. Let alone one you give as a penalty in the last minute of the game.

Most people will see that as a dive and no pen.   But some think it was a pen. So how can it be a clear and obvious error to give it?  The error lies with the ref in giving such a soft decision to begin with .....var can’t take account of an intimidated official ..... 

if there hadn't been any contact or mane had initiated the contact then VAR would have over ruled it.  Pretty straightforward .....var isn’t going to change refs giving soft pens to the big clubs ....

Edited by st albans fox

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

**** off is it a penalty! That’s as clear a dive as you’ll ever see! Yes there’s contact but not enough for him to go down.

Yes Albrighton should have got rid of it, but feck me if that’s a penalty the game has gone soft.

Those are given every week. It’s a soft one but it’s still a penalty 

3 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think you have to face the fact that if there are enough Leicester fans saying it’s a pen on here it’s not going to get overturned by a system that’s implemented to prevent blatant errors. Especially in the prem where I don’t think it’s overturned a single decision that’s not an offside.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Most people will see that as a dive and no pen.   But some think it was a pen. So how can it be a clear and obvious error to give it?  The error lies with the ref in giving such a soft decision to begin with .....var can’t take account of an intimidated official ..... 

Exactly, which is why the referee has got to have the opportunity to go and look at it again.

The threshold is ridiculously high, there’s been 75 games this season and no refereeing errors overturned except for offsides and this insane new handball law.

Contact will always be subjective and I don't think video refs are going to overturn them. You need to remember they are fellow referees and will look at it from their point of view and if there's contact, more than likely given.

We need to respond in the next game.

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Exactly, how is it a foul if Albrighton hasn’t impeded him? 

Because he’s fallen over, you think (as well as I do) he’s thrown himself to the ground but that’s interpretation and VAR isn’t there to over rule on interpretation.

Its a shit decision for me but you’re pissing in the wind if you think it’s getting over turned, there will be plenty of pundits he say good call referre

Edited by Manwell Pablo

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Because he’s fallen over, you think (as well as I do) he’s thrown himself to the ground but that’s interpretation and VAR isn’t there to over rule on interpretation.

Its a shit decision for me but you’re pissing in the wind if you think it’s getting over turned, there will be plenty of pundits he say good call referre

He has thrown himself to the ground though, holding the wrong ankle.

3 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think you have to face the fact that if there are enough Leicester fans saying it’s a pen on here it’s not going to get overturned by a system that’s implemented to prevent blatant errors. Especially in the prem where I don’t think it’s overturned a single decision that’s not an offside.

Which was my original point, if there not going to overturn decisions like that, what are they ever going to overturn?

May as well just use it for offsides, at least then we all know where we stand.