Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Just now, Itsthejoeker said:

He has thrown himself to the ground though, holding the wrong ankle.

I haven’t see the ankle thing but it’s irrelevant. Does Marc albrighton make contact with the player and not the ball yes, does the player go down yes. You won’t get an overturned decision in the premier if that’s the case. Let’s face it there have been for worse referred decisions not over turned, they aren’t over turning anything, 

5 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Which was my original point, if there not going to overturn decisions like that, what are they ever going to overturn?

May as well just use it for offsides, at least then we all know where we stand.

Im not sure about this one even under your standard VAR use but in general yes it’s pretty redundant in this League at the moment.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

I think we've got an umpire's call-style system where the video ref, in debatable situations, will go with the referee's decision. So if that hadn't been given, it would've stayed with the on-field decision too.

This was always going to be an issue with VAR in not wanting to re-referee matches, plus the subjective nature of decisions.

• Like 1

Just now, Corky said:

I think we've got an umpire's call-style system where the video ref, in debatable situations, will go with the referee's decision. So if that hadn't been given, it would've stayed with the on-field decision too.

This was always going to be an issue with VAR in not wanting to re-referee matches, plus the subjective nature of decisions.

Except in cricket “umpires call” is where the ball is grazing leg stump. In this case the ball is missing leg stump by about a foot and it’s still not being overturned.

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

no it wasn't, were you listening on the radio ffs?

Agreed - I didnt think it was a pen. However, there is contact, then a slight delay and then Marne flings himself to the floor. Ex Pros often use the pharse "Hes entitled to go down" which is just a euphemism for 'dive' but equally its never going to be clear and obviously wrong decsion. Ultimately if a professional referee cant tell the difference between being brought down and flinging yourself to the floor, VAR will never over turn it if ther is the slightest contact 

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Except in cricket “umpires call” is where the ball is grazing leg stump. In this case the ball is missing leg stump by about a foot and it’s still not being overturned.

Oh I know, VAR will still have some rough decisions and outcomes.

I think we've got to accept that contact won't see a decision overturned because of the threshold.

Please please please will people stop justifying the penalty because of contact. It’s an absolute load of balls. I know football is a game of opinions but there can be no other opinion than Mane dived. He should be being castigated for that. Appalling decision from a ref itching to give it. 

• Like 1

The modern day footballer has caused all this because they go down looking for free kicks or penalties. And then justify by saying there was contact. So ****ing what there was a touch on your leg, did that make you fall over? No, so you dived. And I include our players in that. **** me I'm turning into my dad. 

Looked like he trod on his foot…   The fact that a whole load of Leicester fans can’t agree would also suggest that it’s not a clear and obvious error…. VAR would have supported the refs decision either way I would’ve thought

28 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I haven’t see the ankle thing but it’s irrelevant. Does Marc albrighton make contact with the player and not the ball yes, does the player go down yes. You won’t get an overturned decision in the premier if that’s the case. Let’s face it there have been for worse referred decisions not over turned, they aren’t over turning anything, 

Get your eyes sorted pal, he ****ing hurled himself halfway across the penalty area. 

4 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

Get your eyes sorted pal, he ****ing hurled himself halfway across the penalty area. 

You can Piss off as I’ve clearly stated I think it’s not a penalty. When it comes to VAR that’s not the question is it. There are people who think it is pen, the commentator on that stream I was watching said pen, there are people on here (Leicester fans) saying pen, there are people across the internet saying pen, therefore a system used to overturn blatant errors isn’t going to overturn it if there’s an argument. If you watch premier league football it’s any regularity in particular you would know this as they are scared to refer anything, Kolisanic was playing basketball in his own box on Monday night and there was nothing giving.

I've said for a while that VAR is not used correctly when it comes to penalties. The clear and obvious error thing is absolute bollocks. If the ref didn't give the Mane pen today then no way would VAR have said that's a penalty and over ruled him. But when he does give the pen they still don't over rule him. What does clear and obvious even mean? It's so ambiguous it's ridiculous. Of course we will have a few go our way this season but that's a sickener today. They need to scrap the clear and obvious bollocks and if it's unclear whether the ref got it right then the ref should go and watch the replay. The only way it will stop diving and cheating which is one of the reasons var was introduced 

Edited by jayfox26