Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

5 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Looked like he trod on his foot…   The fact that a whole load of Leicester fans can’t agree would also suggest that it’s not a clear and obvious error…. VAR would have supported the refs decision either way I would’ve thought

Just saw it again…. Dive

there is a clear delay between the contact and when he hit the deck…

changed my mind…

• Like 1

Can't that TAA 'challenge' wasn't a straight red. Nothing but the intention to injure Tielemans. Knew exactly what he was doing and it was so deliberate. One thing for that soft pen to not be overturned since there was contact, but stamping on somebody's Achilles is pretty disgusting.

“It stops big teams getting away with getting all the decisions” does it f uck. It’s absolutely toss and if you agree with it you’re part of the problem. No true Scotsman type stuff about implementation or teething problems, blah blah blah. Hate it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just what is the point of VAR?

I hated VAR as soon as I saw it in real action in the women's world cup.

Albrighton's tackle may have been a penalty. The ref game it because Marc gave him the opportunity. No way was VAR going to overturn that decision.

However, if anyone can tell me that Marc's challenge was worse than the one committed by Danny Rose in the Bayern match, (reviewed but not given by VAR) then I'll concede that VAR is wonderful and the best thing ever in football. I thought VAR was meant to ensure there was consistency in games?

In the meantime I'll continue to say that VAR is a total waste of time and is ruining the game.

• Like 1

VAR has a place in football, indeed it is needed in football, but not in the way it is currently being applied. It needs to be applied as it is in rugby, in the manner of collaborative refereeing. There is so much going on in a game both on and off the ball the officials on the pitch haven't a hope of seeing it all and so instead of giving primacy to the on-field refereeing decision you make it collaborative, and let them help each other to get it right. It does of course me that you have to have in the VAR room people with the balls to change decisions made on-field.

So Hamza challenge, yellow correct, but before that there is the most blatant shove on Caglar which should have been pinged and so everything that followed shouldn't have mattered.

Albrighton challenge. Yes it should have just gone to Row Z, yes there is a touch which makes it possible for a penalty to be considered, but Mane doesn't go down following the touch from Albrighton, in fact he takes another touch realises he is going nowhere with it and then goes down looking for the penalty knowing that there was a touch on him. Now this happens fast and I can understand the referee giving the penalty, but this is where VAR should be stepping in to correct the decision because it was a dive. I know the Liverpool fans wouldn't like it, nor would we in their shoes and let's face it Vardy has won his shae of pens like this but VAR is about getting it right and cutting out this sort of gamesmanship.

Sort it out.

• Like 1

There is a panic at PGMOL in this country determined that var shouldn't be used to ‘re referee’ decisions. So yesterday’s penalty ....... in other countries, I wonder if the ref would have been asked to check the monitor to make sure what actually happened was what he thought he saw. in this country they are determined that this shouldn’t happen. 

One would have thought that the ref may have had a change of mind had he seen the very small amount of contact and delay in falling over by mane ....l 

but then do we really want refs running over to see what the screens are showing and delaying even longer ??.  The answer is better quality officials ......... don’t hold your breath ...

The problem with VAR is that clear and obvious rule, i just don’t get the reason for it, either an incident is against the laws of the games or it’s not, why does it have to be a clear and obvious error from the ref? 

What even is clear and obvious is that written anywhere or up to the judgement of whoever is on VAR that day.

I think another problem is the referee on VAR doesn’t want to him embarrass his colleague/friend on the pitch so their level of ‘clear and obvious’ is going to be high, it shouldn’t be a bunch of refs on VAR it needs some sort of independent body without any bias.

We've implemented a system here, without fully implementing it.  It's half baked.

The TV monitors should be on the touchline.  Yesterday, the ref would have had to reverse his own decision on seeing that replay.  The simulation is plain for all to see.  And yet the guy making the ultimate decision isn't able to see the simulation on the replay?  lol

It's a diabolical interpretation of the new system if this is how it is going to go from now on.  Diving in the area is perfectly acceptable and VAR won't do anything to overturn it.  Brilliant.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

We've implemented a system here, without fully implementing it.  It's half baked.

The TV monitors should be on the touchline.  Yesterday, the ref would have had to reverse his own decision on seeing that replay.  The simulation is plain for all to see.  And yet the guy making the ultimate decision isn't able to see the simulation on the replay?  lol

It's a diabolical interpretation of the new system if this is how it is going to go from now on.  Diving in the area is perfectly acceptable and VAR won't do anything to overturn it.  Brilliant.

The monitors are by the touchline, they just don’t get used.

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The rules need to be changed so that the referee is forced to use the screens.  Why is it in football that we can't even manage a fair operation of the video system?  In rugby, it's so much more professionally applied.

I completely agree and the conversation between the referees should be broadcast too.

If you watched the England rugby game yesterday, the Argentina number 5 was sent off for a high tackle that was reviewed by the TMO (VAR). Every word of the referee and TMO’s decision making process was broadcast. It’s a transparent process designed to educate and inform the audience about how and why the decision has been reached. It’s sometimes slow but it’s a logical, thought through process with a proper level of challenge and review built in. The other thing about rugby referees is that they are willing to accept when they’re not good enough. The siege mentality around football referees just perpetuates this sense that the opinion of the man on the pitch can always be justified.

There is no “review” process on VAR in this country, all it is is a confirmatory check of the referee’s decision on the pitch. It’s ridiculous, we’ve got the technology and it’s only being used for completely immaterial handballs and microscopic offsides, both of which we’ve benefited from and both of which I bemoaned at the time. It should be clamping down on key, game-changing incidents.

Kavanagh’s opinion yesterday wasn’t strictly “wrong” so there was no way it was going to be overturned. But 90% of people watching that would look at it and think it’s a ridiculous thing to be giving a penalty for. The VAR has to be able to say to Kavanagh “sorry Chris I can see why you’ve given it in the heat of the moment but Mane has thrown himself to the floor. I think if you have another look you’ll see there’s not enough contact for it to be a penalty”.

I haven't browsed through 18 pages so may be repeating what others have said but here's my take on it.

The problem is the clear and obvious part as it is too subjective should be changed to either a right decision or wrong decision.

They should look how other sports use it, during the ashes test the umpires got numerous decisions wrong they were reviewed and the correct decision was made, not he got a slight nick but it wasn't clear and obvious so we will let it go, the 3rd umpire will be heard that he has touched it and you will have to reverse your decision, VAR officials are reluctant to overturn the referees decisions.

Same in tennis it is either o the line or out, not it slightly touched the line but it wasn't clear and obvious so let it go. You can go on and on with other sports rugby etc.

For me the FA are trying to reinvent it just follow what other sports do everyone just excepts that the right decision has been made. 

Edited by smitha

i like the idea of var but it just seems pointless

rose vs bayern, 100% pen, ref said no, var says no

that burnley one for shirt pulling the same

liverpool vs napoli, pen given, clear dive, var backs the ref

the TAA incident var checks for red.... but they can't advise it is a yellow or even a foul?

i think the mane incident, as there is contact var was never going to overturn the decision

VAR was introduced  to make the game fair for all, but all it’s done is protect refs from all the backlash for shit decisions, how many refs do you see going to the touch line screen to view a replay, how many times have the VAR panel over ruled the refs decision.

VAR panels are as bad as the ref, the whole system needs a review and officials need to be held to account for shit decisions that are costing teams points and clubs money.

• Like 1

The only thing that will ever be overturned is a dive so utterly blatant with no one around within 5 yards that the referee would see it anyway.

When VAR came in at the world cup it seemed referees were too keen to change their mind.

Now its more a case they dont want to undermine the referee.

Why not just not have the VAR check at all?

Instead have the VAR ref say "check the screen" without him giving his opinion one way or the other. Would THIS lead to more overturned decisions? Possibly

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Anyone seen that Pepe non call in the Arsenal game?

This literally is the shittest implementation of VAR in the world. Someone needs to be held accountable for this, the standard of refereeing is just getting worse and worse in the PL. VAR is only highlighting this more.

Its showing that even with replays the same refs are shite. In fact you can forgive stuff being missed in real time, but when being watched on numerous tvs with every angle available its unforgivable.

• Like 1