Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

3 minutes ago, Yes N'Didi said:

I can understand that, but the referee clearly made the offside signal as well once he’d indicated the decision. 

Nothing against you, just pointing out 🙂

Didn't see that bit either :doh:

Just little things, they've taken minutes to make a decision at least give a minute or so to allow those in the ground to process why the decision has been ruled out etc 

Edit: Just seen the replay and the screen flashes it for a single second. Not enough time for me 

Edited by UniFox21

4 minutes ago, Yes N'Didi said:

It was quite clearly displayed on the screen after the decision that they were both offside.

Worked fine today - corrected two mistakes by the linesmen that would have changed the outcome of the match.

The wait is frustrating, yes, but the right outcome was reached. Will it stop you from celebrating next time? Will it ****.

I didn’t see that, on the screen above the kop it shown no goal then went to a screenshot of gameplay for a split second and then to the team lineups 

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

Ruins the game. 

I was running down the street naked waving a nigeria flag but when i get back in the goal has been ruled out.

The Spuds players were all calypso dancing by the corner flag celebrating their 'goal' in front of their ecstatic fans!

It's all pointless. We're discussing VAR instead of a 3-2 win. Both 'goals' were given by officials. VAR is totally pointless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Must've missed the "Ruled out for offside" 

Sat at the back of the Kop and didn't have a clue why the first one was ruled out. The picture was split into 4 images and I couldn't see shit. 

Second one I missed that as my brother saw it. But I looked down for a second and missed it. If they're taking 2 or 3 minutes to make a decision, Why can't we have the decision on the board for a minute or so rather than just flashing it up 

That's not VARs fault, that's the clubs tech team being a bit useless as they always have been. Anyway else notice gray being subbed off when he was meant to be coming on today? 

• Like 1

The Fighting Cock forum has gone into meldown on this VAR. This is a classic comment and should make it clear if he was offside or not..

If you actually look at the way the lines are drawn on the freeze frame shot used to decide that Son was offside it appears that they were drawn on to Leicester’s advantage. The red dotted line comes down from Son into the ground. The red horizontal solid line is drawn on very thickly from the bottom right hand corner of the broken line. The blue dotted line comes down from the Leicester player and into the ground. The solid blue line is much thinner for Leicester and is actually drawn from the bottom left hand corner of their dotted line. Had both solid lines been the same thickness and been drawn from the same corner of each dotted line then I think Son is shown to be onside.
We were robbed

36 minutes ago, cal21212121 said:

That's not VARs fault, that's the clubs tech team being a bit useless as they always have been. Anyway else notice gray being subbed off when he was meant to be coming on today? 

No, it'll be set out across the league of how things need to be displayed given its an officiating decision.  You'll find a common complaint across the league is how things are poorly communicated to those in the ground. Jake Humphrey in all his wisedom made a point of it on BT.

VAR is what it is. To those who passionately wanted this this is what you get. It can be argued it spoilt a cracking game but let's remember, set aside VAR, thr ref did his level best. So they didn't have "diver Alli but Rose and Son weren't bad replacements for that role. 'Spuds' still a disgusting outfit and deserve all they get which this season will be nowt!!

Edited by David Hankey

2 hours ago, Yes N'Didi said:

It was quite clearly displayed on the screen after the decision that they were both offside.

Worked fine today - corrected two mistakes by the linesmen that would have changed the outcome of the match.

The wait is frustrating, yes, but the right outcome was reached. Will it stop you from celebrating next time? Will it ****.

It wasn't displayed on the screen- the only reason I knew it was offside was when the referee raised his arm to indicate offside and then a free-kick given.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guest said:

There's no apparently about it, is there? It is a fact. 

Thicker lines wouldn't solve anything because you'll still be giving offsides for incredibly fine distances. All that changes is now you're giving offside because he's 1mm ahead of the magical thick line, not because he's 1mm ahead of the defender. I don't see how that's any fairer, or any better an application of the law. 

The technology isn’t accurate enough to determine if son actually was/wasn’t offside - when did the ball actually leave the passers foot? 

If the line line is thicker then if son’s shoulder falls beneath the line he is given onside. If he is beyond the thicker line at all (a mm is enough) then he is definitely ahead of the last defender. The area of uncertainty is underneath the thickness of the line. 

Don't get what any complaints are about today when it comes to the goals.

Our goal was correctly ruled out for offside.

Their goal was correctly ruled out for offside. If you're 1mm offside, you're offside. You can't have lee-way for say 10mm. If a player is then 11mm offside you'll have people saying 'oh but it's so close, should just let it stand'.  The rule is clear. If a part of your body you can score with is in an offside position, then it's offside. The ruling is clear as day. 

Spurs fans saying they were robbed are just fvcking bitter that they Spursed up a game again. It papers over the cracks of the real issues in their team i.e.e Pochettino has probably taken them as far as he can and hides the frustration of not starting Eriksen & Moura which is just criminal. They can moan about VAR all day long but it doesn't hide the fact a decision went in their favour for the Ndidi goal and went in our favour for the disallowed Son goal.

• Like 3

VAR must have some margin of error, so how can anyone say the Son decision was correct given frame rates and a drawing of lines that doesn't to me seem to be to the exact mm? Which makes this somewhat utilitarian view of it getting it right so it's alright a little silly. I struggle to see how that today was a good thing for football.

No sympathy for the Spurs fans by virtue of them being Spurs fans but it's terrible for the game.

• Like 2

Also, for anyone criticising VAR will have an effect celebrating goals, it had absolutely no effect on any of the 3 legit goals scored today, nor the 2 disallowed ones. 

Literally everyone up in arms and going batshit mental when Pereira and Maddison scored. Seriously in the heat of the moment we all celebrate like normal.

Also, I'm guessing that anyone who hates VAR didn't celebrate or cheer even a little bit when their goal was disallowed. I refuse to believe they just sat there and shrugged it off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Also, for anyone criticising VAR will have an effect celebrating goals, it had absolutely no effect on any of the 3 legit goals scored today, nor the 2 disallowed ones. 

Literally everyone up in arms and going batshit mental when Pereira and Maddison scored. Seriously in the heat of the moment we all celebrate like normal.

Also, I'm guessing that anyone who hates VAR didn't celebrate or cheer even a little bit when their goal was disallowed. I refuse to believe they just sat there and shrugged it off.

No one was bothered about madders winner but everyone around me was jumping around whilst looking intensely at the big screen for the replay on Ricardo’s goal .......it did affect the celebration Sunil .....noticed Top gave his seat a hell of a whack with his clapper once he saw it was ok - presumably with the relief ! 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

No one was bothered about madders winner but everyone around me was jumping around whilst looking intensely at the big screen for the replay on Ricardo’s goal .......it did affect the celebration Sunil .....noticed Top gave his seat a hell of a whack with his clapper once he saw it was ok - presumably with the relief ! 

Not around me. I think when Ricardo scored everyone was just relieved that we got our goal. It wasn't a muted celebration or a 'wait a bit before it's actually confirmed'. Everyone I saw just celebrated in the momne.t

Just something I am curious about...

Does anyone know if the linesman flagged or picked up on Perez being offside?

Is it the kind of goal that without VAR checking it wouldn't have even been picked up that he was offside? (kind of goal where it would have kicked off on twitter after for the officials being crap and not picking it up)

Spurs players didn't complain about Perez being offside for the goal at all when it went in

21 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Just something I am curious about...

Does anyone know if the linesman flagged or picked up on Perez being offside?

Is it the kind of goal that without VAR checking it wouldn't have even been picked up that he was offside? (kind of goal where it would have kicked off on twitter after for the officials being crap and not picking it up)

Spurs players didn't complain about Perez being offside for the goal at all when it went in

No - that’s why the goal was chalked off by var.  if the lino had flagged then var would have checked but nothing to reverse .....

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The technology isn’t accurate enough to determine if son actually was/wasn’t offside - when did the ball actually leave the passers foot? 

If the line line is thicker then if son’s shoulder falls beneath the line he is given onside. If he is beyond the thicker line at all (a mm is enough) then he is definitely ahead of the last defender. The area of uncertainty is underneath the thickness of the line. 

Can't agree, you're just changing one set of arbitrary distinctions for another. It's as clear as it can be - you're offside or you're not. Moving the goalposts and adding minimum distances, thicker lines etc is only going to muddy the waters further and I don't see that it would reduce the amount of controversy or uncertainty. If Son is visibly past the defender but still within the thick line and therefore given onside when he actually isn't, that's not a solution, it's a new problem. No matter how inaccurate the technology may be, it's still much more reliable than an assistant making split second decisions with the naked eye from the opposite side of the pitch. 

• Like 1

Just now, Guest said:

Can't agree, you're just changing one set of arbitrary distinctions for another. It's as clear as it can be - you're offside or you're not. Moving the goalposts and adding minimum distances, thicker lines etc is only going to muddy the waters further and I don't see that it would reduce the amount of controversy or uncertainty. If Son is visibly past the defender but still within the thick line and therefore given onside when he actually isn't, that's not a solution, it's a new problem. No matter how inaccurate the technology may be, it's still much more reliable than an assistant making split second decisions with the naked eye from the opposite side of the pitch. 

Maybe you were a defender in days gone by .....i was a forward and am unhappy that the interpretation to the mm using technology that isn’t up to the job means that valid goals are being disallowed .....