Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

8 hours ago, dyanmark said:

Can we remember that a certain Leicester player scored the first goal given by VAR after a very well timed pass from another well known person.We was happy that day.

We were pleased when the Wolves goal was disallowed too.

But just wait until we 'score' a winning 95th minute goal, only for it to be ruled out for a toenail offside. 

40 minutes ago, womp said:

when VAR is used it should be viewed in normal speed except for offsides.

offside should be where the feet are on the ground.

handball should be intentional.

Watching replays at full speed would help. In slow motion all decisions could be overturned.

The handball rule is a joke, even more so with the slow motion VAR replays. Some of the VAR handball decisions in the womens world cup were a disgrace.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Not sure about the normal speed thing ........ are you saying that if it looks like handball at normal speed then you disallow the goal, even though slow mo would show that there is actually no contact with the arm/hand?  Surely its worse to chalk a good goal off ??? 

a good point but I wasnt about the ball contact more about intent and lead up to the handball.

its staggering to think all the time and study they've had, that this is the result.

The only criticism i've got with var is close offsides. I think there should be a 10cm tolerance to take into account the precise time the ball leaves the passing players foot. That would also speed up decisions as they're not looking for an angstrom offside decision and i think it would still be 10 times more accurate than a linesman. 

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

We’ve benefited massively from it today, but it’s an absolute bag of crap and needs binning for those offsides.

Did we? Both goals correctly ruled out, but Sissoko should have been off (twice)... And Gray too. Evened itself out I suppose

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Did we? Both goals correctly ruled out, but Sissoko should have been off (twice)... And Gray too. Evened itself out I suppose

Some goals are more correctly ruled out than others

Making the right call is good for the game but as I said against Wolves the spectator experience inside the ground is horrendous! 2 minutes of nothing and then the reason for the overruling is shown for about 3 seconds before changing to the team lineups. Literally blink and you’ll miss it! 

At the World Cup they at least had a video on repeat showing the incident. This should be done here too. They should also VERY clearly explain what was overruled and why. For the first goal did the ball go out of play or was the player offside? Or both!? They had a screen with 4 images and no explanation FFS! 

In it’s current form it is horrendous for fans who actually go to the game, which is a terrible state of affairs. 

30 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Shocking decision. Thought it was brought in for obvious errors? 

This is the big problem. Either they check all important match facts and eliminate any and all errors. Or they just correct the "obvious" errors (clear errors). If you can't see it with the naked eye, on a paused image with a line drawn on the screen, then it isn't a clear error. Personally i'd wish they just did away with the "clear error" BS and correct when the ref is off the mark.

On BT sports they were saying this is in the advantage of the defenders... but obviously, it's not. In Belgium the linesmen have started to wait before the ball is out of play before signalling off-side. If a goal occurs, and they think it's offside, they signal AFTER the goal has been made. In this case, the ref contacts the VAR, and either acknowledges the goal or he disallows it. In this case, many otherwise wrongfully disallowed goals (or instances that could lead to a goal) will be allowed.

Edited by Lizhang

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Not on offside ...... that’s a matter of fact like goal line tech ...... apparently 

THICKER LINES DRAWN ACROSS THE PITCH solves the nonsense part of it !!!! 

There's no apparently about it, is there? It is a fact. 

Thicker lines wouldn't solve anything because you'll still be giving offsides for incredibly fine distances. All that changes is now you're giving offside because he's 1mm ahead of the magical thick line, not because he's 1mm ahead of the defender. I don't see how that's any fairer, or any better an application of the law. 

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Making the right call is good for the game but as I said against Wolves the spectator experience inside the ground is horrendous! 2 minutes of nothing and then the reason for the overruling is shown for about 3 seconds before changing to the team lineups. Literally blink and you’ll miss it! 

At the World Cup they at least had a video on repeat showing the incident. This should be done here too. They should also VERY clearly explain what was overruled and why. For the first goal did the ball go out of play or was the player offside? Or both!? They had a screen with 4 images and no explanation FFS! 

In it’s current form it is horrendous for fans who actually go to the game, which is a terrible state of affairs. 

100% correct.

I loathe VAR more after every time I see it in action.

Both 'goals' were given by the officials today. Both were ruled out long after celebrations by players and fans.

It's ripping the soul from the game.

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

My biggest hatred of it today was I has no idea why the goals were ruled out. I may have missed any display or like popping up, but for me doesn't help the fans actually at the ground 

It was quite clearly displayed on the screen after the decision that they were both offside.

Worked fine today - corrected two mistakes by the linesmen that would have changed the outcome of the match.

The wait is frustrating, yes, but the right outcome was reached. Will it stop you from celebrating next time? Will it ****.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yes N'Didi said:

It was quite clearly displayed on the screen after the decision that they were both offside.

Worked fine today - corrected two mistakes by the linesmen that would have changed the outcome of the match.

Must've missed the "Ruled out for offside" 

Sat at the back of the Kop and didn't have a clue why the first one was ruled out. The picture was split into 4 images and I couldn't see shit. 

Second one I missed that as my brother saw it. But I looked down for a second and missed it. If they're taking 2 or 3 minutes to make a decision, Why can't we have the decision on the board for a minute or so rather than just flashing it up 

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

My biggest hatred of it today was I has no idea why the goals were ruled out. I may have missed any display or like popping up, but for me doesn't help the fans actually at the ground 

Agree with this, we didn’t know why our first had been ruled out we had to look online at halftime as we thought it was either a goal or a penalty all they need to do in my opinion is when they put up “no goal” give a reason underneath it like offside or foul 

• Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Must've missed the "Ruled out for offside" 

Sat at the back of the Kop and didn't have a clue why the first one was ruled out. The picture was split into 4 images and I couldn't see shit. 

Second one I missed that as my brother saw it. But I looked down for a second and missed it. If they're taking 2 or 3 minutes to make a decision, Why can't we have the decision on the board for a minute or so rather than just flashing it up 

I can understand that, but the referee clearly made the offside signal as well once he’d indicated the decision. 

Nothing against you, just pointing out 🙂