Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Extinction Rebellion

28 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Great, that's one quarter - one out of four. The yearly total is still dominated by fossil fuels, although in the case of the UK, coal is about to disappear forever, that percentage is now negligible.

Also, is it just me or has the graph been tampered with? Are they using the exactly same values for all years?

"Quarterly electricity generation in the UK between 2009 and the third quarter of 2019, in terawatt hours"

Sounds to me they're combining numbers in a rather manufactured/contrived context to make it look more impressive than it actually is.

The Hornsea One windfarm just opened in 2019 and it remains to be seen whether they can continue to produce enough or that amount of energy in the months and years to come.

Two more North Sea/channel windfarms to come (2020 and 2013).

Important note here for all activists:

Oh, and add the source:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-renewables-generate-more-electricity-than-fossil-fuels-for-first-time

Not quite seeing it, seems perfectly fine terminology to me.

Whilst it is a little odd to see electricity generation measured by the quarter, it's not completely crazy (if this is what you were referring to).

The real goal should be to have this over a winter quarter, rather than a summer quarter.

Edited by Beechey

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

lol

If only these bones could speak...

"Don't try and impose your extremist views onto mine, let my own ancestors speak, and only them, you eco-terrorist dimwit".

With regards to the "funded by oil money" claim, maybe they could actually clarify what they mean by that. So we can go and fact-check.

Last time I checked, the British Museum was still a public institution.

21 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

"In a crisis, ..."

:huh:

Pardon me but I'm not sure where that's from - can you unpack?

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

The only people I'm becoming convinced are funded by oil companies are Extinction Rebellion. It's the only logical solution to this.

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if they've been infiltrated by money or by provocateurs to do exactly what is happening now, yeah - but who knows?

That's not to say the fossil fuel companies aren't playing their hand in other ways, too, of course - the tobacco industry wrote that handbook decades ago and it's as effective now as it was then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Pardon me but I'm not sure where that's from - can you unpack?

It's in the TVTropes link you provided.

In a crisis, nobody wants to feel useless or left out.

If there were a crisis, that is...

This is the hypothetical scenario this whole charade is built upon, it's delusional.

Imagine I were to rob a bank (or a petrol station, for it makes a more practical example). I went in with a gun and said "Hey, we're in a crisis. I say so. You hand me over your money now, and should you resist, I'll be forced to shoot you, because it's a climate emergency, XR made me do it. They say it's ok to circumvent existing laws if they hinder our cause."

9 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

This is the hypothetical scenario this whole charade is built upon, it's delusional.

Imagine I were to rob a bank (or a petrol station, for it makes a more practical example). I went in with a gun and said "Hey, we're in a crisis. I say so. You hand me over your money now, and should you resist, I'll be forced to shoot you, because it's a climate emergency, XR made me do it. They say it's ok to circumvent existing laws if they hinder our cause."

Ah right, yeah.

Well, I'm thinking if the current situation isn't a crisis then it certainly is going to be one if humanity in general doesn't pull its finger out (there's a plethora of nasty consequences of average temperature increase of just a couple of degree out there), but what XR are doing right now is hardly conducive to getting people to agree to that finger-pulling. And you do need people onside.

5 hours ago, Beechey said:

Good news for this domain though, for the first time, the UK has produced more of its energy from renewable or carbon neutral sources than fossil fuels over an entire quarter.

Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.25.10.png

Got to say that for all I wish that all governments should do more, I really wish that the Australian government would take the issue as seriously as the UK government. Our lot are heavily influenced by the fossil fuel lobby and totally held captive by it.

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

lollollollollollol.

Imagine my shock.

Anyone defending the actions and the hypocrisy of these clowns needs to take a look in the mirror.

...are we really going there again?

The hypocrisy argument may well be accurate and as above I'm no fan of what XR are often up to but it would be really nice if more people had more strings to their bows concerning the actual problem rather than just lining up to pick at the low-hanging fruit.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...are we really going there again?

The hypocrisy argument may well be accurate and as above I'm no fan of what XR are often up to but it would be really nice if more people had more strings to their bows concerning the actual problem rather than just lining up to pick at the low-hanging fruit.

Yes we are, since these are the people protesting. When you give up your flights, tvs, iPhones and car I will start to listen to you too.

38 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Perhaps it’s just me being stupid, but I have great difficulty following your train of thought. One minute you seem t be arguing that not enough is being done, and the next you’re saying it’s all a mass delusion and hysteria. One minute follow the science and the next that we should only listen to the 3%. I can’t help but feel that you’re simply trying to muddy the waters and drown debate in a sea of words.

24 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yes we are, since these are the people protesting. When you give up your flights, tvs, iPhones and car I will start to listen to you too.

Were I a neo-Luddite (like some of XR ostensibly are) and anyone sane at all thought it was necessary to abandon tech to fight this threat, then that might mean something...but I'm not (I like to hope my posting history bears that out) and they don't, so it doesn't. I'm not giving up my luxuries, nor should you, nor should you really need to - not when other solutions exist that can maintain quality of life while sorting all of this out. Again, I'm unsure as to where this neo-Luddite strawman that folks seem to think signifies the people wanting change comes from - it's like people don't get groups like XR are simply making the most noise.

I am however interested in what you make of the scientific data on climate change and who exactly you would listen to on this matter, if you'd be forthcoming enough to share.

NB. I have neither an iPhone nor a car, so I'm halfway there already. :thumbup:

Edited by leicsmac

15 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Perhaps it’s just me being stupid, but I have great difficulty following your train of thought. One minute you seem t be arguing that not enough is being done, and the next you’re saying it’s all a mass delusion and hysteria. One minute follow the science and the next that we should only listen to the 3%. I can’t help but feel that you’re simply trying to muddy the waters and drown debate in a sea of words.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish_gallop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

The only people I'm becoming convinced are funded by oil companies are Extinction Rebellion. It's the only logical solution to this.

Maybe the Russians are somewhat involved, then (in a bid to further cause chaos in a country that is divided politically by Brexit)?..:dunno:

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I'm not of that opinion, I'm sorry if I've confused you in one way or another.

I think I've made it clear enough oftentimes that we as a society are working on changing things for the better already.

However, I can really do without the hysteria behind movements such as XR, they are given way too much exposure, when it should be technology, science and scientists we should look up to when it comes to tackling our impact on climate change.

8 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Ok, and how many of those scientists are actually active in the field of climatology, I wonder...

Where's the full list?

Do we need more fearmongering activists or more people who know what they're talking about?

Excuse me, a few days ago you were arguing that 97% of academic studies by climate scientists was a misleading figure because there are other scientists.  Make your mind up pal.