Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Extinction Rebellion

What are people's thoughts on this organistaton?

I know they're trying to make a big point/stance via mass demonstrations, to try and get the government to think more about try ing to do more on climate change policies, but can't help but think they're actually a nuisance and creating a big hole for themselves..

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

them extinction rebellion weirdos. all over the news and all over the internet. doing my nut in. 

remember when they were in leeds and i had to walk past them on the way home from work every day and the whole street fu cking stank. grim. 

It’ll be interesting to hear people’s thoughts on whether there are things that they value more than the economy. I mean this must be costing the country billions? I’m not really sure how I feel to be honest, the cause seems honourable but then they are all a bunch of twats. 

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

It’ll be interesting to hear people’s thoughts on whether there are things that they value more than the economy. I mean this must be costing the country billions? I’m not really sure how I feel to be honest, the cause seems honourable but then they are all a bunch of twats. 

yeah obviously people need to care more about the environment an all that jazz but they all just seem like cu nts. making millions of people's lives loads harder for weeks on end, costing outrageous amounts and did i mention the fu cking smell. jesus christ. i'm getting flashbacks. 

I am not entirely sure what they are doing is going told help save the environment.

Causing traffic jams probably increases pollution. Hundreds/thousands of people travelling to one place increases pollution. I am hoping this lot are not as bad a the Glastonbury mob for litter? Spraying buildings with fake blood..I hope that's eco friendly dye as most dye is toxic to the water system!

Not to mention pissing off a whole host of normal people trying to live their lives in hardly going to endear them to their cause however worthy.

I understand what they are doing and get the concern and point, just think it's done badly.

I know it's the Daily Fail, but look at who's behind the movement:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6927195/The-faces-Extinction-Rebellion-climate-change-chaos.html

Or a more in-depth look at activist movements on the whole:

The events at the Reclaim the Power temporary campsite concerned me greatly.
I have been an activist all my adult life and I had never before seen "courses" being set up and run like that.
My spidey sense was thoroughly triggered.
I realised that this group was set up to rob real activism of personnel and funds.
They have been the bane of our collective existence ever since because people fall for it, part with their personal data and cash believing that they are taking part in something "green" and "good" for the planet.

It should be noted, at this point, that the first public meeting of Extinction Rebellion took place in Parliament Square, London on Oct 31st 2018.
Surely everyone knows that is the most heavily policed part of London?
They have armed police there and the security is, of course, top of the range.
George Monbiot, columnist at the Guardian, was one of the speakers at the Declaration of Extinction Rebellion event.
That alone should send a red flag flying but no, he was cheered along by the adoring crowd who seemed oblivious of his brazen adherence to the United Nations Agendas 21 & 2030 in everything he writes.

Politics is replete with "green" thinking individuals, across the political spectrum and at all levels from local to national.
They are actively working to promote the UN agendas at all levels of governance in the entire world.
The Green Party is particularly noticeable for this.
Now, do not get me wrong. I know that the Green Party has many members who are genuine, good people desperate to do something positive for the environment but, unfortunately, they do not seem to have realised that the entire Green movement, worldwide is controlled and infiltrated.

https://steemit.com/news/@francesleader/from-occupy-to-extinction-rebellion-exposing-the-common-purpose

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

Least they did it on international break week. Could have caused chaos for fans getting to London grounds. 

In all seriousness though I get something needs to be done. But some one these weirdos don't care about the climate they just use it as an excuse to try and annoy the police. 

Also the celebrities getting involved can get in the bin, so hypocritical. Like daisy low was there today. Youre telling me she wouldn't jump on a private jet if some one needed her for a photo shoot? Of course she would it's just extreme band wagoning. 

• Like 1

One of the directors of private limited company Compassionate Revolution, which has organised and partly financed XR, is Wiltshire mother Gail Bradbrook, 47. The 'neo-pagan' said on a recent podcast that she decided to become an activist as a direct result of taking huge doses of two powerful psychedelic drugs. Ms Bradbrook, who has two sons aged ten and 13, flew to Costa Rica a few years ago to take a dose of ibogaine, a hallucinogenic shrub growing in West Africa.  The mother, who has a PhD in molecular biophysics, also tried ayahuasca, a highly toxic, mind-bending potion made by Amazon jungle shamans. She said the drugs 'rewired' her brain and gave her 'the codes of social change'. Afterwards, she ended her marriage and began her activism in XR. 

Image result for unsure gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's a good cause and not many would disagree, but targeting regular joe isn't the way to bring change, all it does it make people hate you, and as a consequence, the cause you're supposed to be fighting for gets overshadowed by people's annoyance.

Your average person going to work their 9 to 5 has as much power as one of these muppets when it comes to climate change, start targeting the people that can actually make the difference. 

BTW, I couldn't give 2 monkeys if all these donkeys get thrown in prison, I'm genuinely baffled how they think getting nicked and wasting police resources when they are already spread thin is going to make people cheer them on. :unsure:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Izzy said:

One of the directors of private limited company Compassionate Revolution, which has organised and partly financed XR, is Wiltshire mother Gail Bradbrook, 47. The 'neo-pagan' said on a recent podcast that she decided to become an activist as a direct result of taking huge doses of two powerful psychedelic drugs. Ms Bradbrook, who has two sons aged ten and 13, flew to Costa Rica a few years ago to take a dose of ibogaine, a hallucinogenic shrub growing in West Africa.  The mother, who has a PhD in molecular biophysics, also tried ayahuasca, a highly toxic, mind-bending potion made by Amazon jungle shamans. She said the drugs 'rewired' her brain and gave her 'the codes of social change'. Afterwards, she ended her marriage and began her activism in XR. 

Image result for unsure gif

If you ever visit the amazon jungle Izzy, go see one of those shamans and bring us some potions back, sounds ace tbf.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I find them largely infuriating. 

They're generic, common or garden posers who care more about their image than their cause. 

The environment is a topic that people are finally starting to sit up and want to discuss and ER will just start turning them off again. 

You'll get people to commit to climate change, recycling, plastic reduction et all with genuine hearts and minds stuff. I really liked the last round of Attenborough documentaries because as well as doing his usual Humans Are Ruining Everything bit he also had a segment at the end where he talked about initiatives that have been successful in restoring and recovering ecosystems through human intervention. 

It was really positive. I think people really engage when you get them to fall in love with the planet but also show them how they can actually help so it doesn't feel useless and futile. 

There was a social media campaign recently where a bunch of people basically started a challenge to go and tidy up green spaces. It was clever, they appealed to everyone's desire to look good on twitter and Instagram and turned it in to a green initiative. Loads of people bought in to it taking before and after shots of beaches, forests, green spaces and parks etc that they'd renovated, cleared, etc. 

Stuff like this is smart, it gets people thinking and gets them to care. 

ER don't care about that, they care about looking edgy and "punk." If they cared, they wouldn't be targeting the common public. It's not Average Joe's fault that rail travel in this country is too expensive to be viable, its not Average Joe's fault that electric cars are a prohibitively expensive break through technology. It's not Average Joe's fault that aeroplanes run on fossil fuels. 

Inconveniencing people who are not just going about their day to day lives but have very little viable alternatives to what they're doing isn't just infuriating and alienating people away from your cause, it's also enormously missing the point. 

If I were fractionally more El Empty, I'd almost think they're funded by some petroleum lobbyist on the sly they're that terrible at actually achieving anything. 

I genuinely think they're a danger to environmental causes. They're like the PETA of climate change. 

I suppose their point would be it's average Joe that can bring about what they believe are the political changes needed to do something about it, and that cleaning up parks is scratching the surface.

Generally I agree with what you say about their tactics potentially alienating people. But I think in the last few years awareness of environmental issues has been raised greatly and it's now something that is starting to come in to the political mainstream. I do think that groups like ER have partially helped this to happen. 

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

I suppose their point would be it's average Joe that can bring about what they believe are the political changes needed to do something about it, and that cleaning up parks is scratching the surface.

Generally I agree with what you say about their tactics potentially alienating people. But I think in the last few years awareness of environmental issues has been raised greatly and it's now something that is starting to come in to the political mainstream. I do think that groups like ER have partially helped this to happen. 

Oh that will absolutely definitely be their point but like I said, it's just daft. People don't need to be "woken up" to climate change, everyone knows what it is and what it means. 

What they need is to be educated in how they can help, we collectively can help, what the problems are, where they can be addressed. 

Some poser student in a bright pink headscarf stood on a parked boat in rush hour traffic screaming at poor Bill the Commuter for not cycling to work isn't going to do that, he's just going to convince Bill that climate sceptics are right to think this lot are a bunch of tossers with a bogus cause. 

Doesn't their manifesto want to ban trains and cars? Oh aye I'll just carry 12 solar panels on me back from the factory and erect a few hundred tonne wind turbine up with my bare hands, no problem.