Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
somebum

PS5

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

You love to see it (shame I couldn't get the Regalla edition, but this will do!)

image.png.0a8db638d8cf3f5b98662f413b1262ce.png

That's a considerable wedge of cash right there.  lol

What's in the collector's edition?

A lot of the noise has been about encouraging people to get the PS4 version over the PS5 version this week because of the free upgrade and save a tenner.  Best price on PS4 is around £52 I think, I've paid £58 for the PS5 version with the bonus outfit/spear combo thrown in.  That'll do me until the DLC arrives.

10 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

That's a considerable wedge of cash right there.  lol

What's in the collector's edition?

A lot of the noise has been about encouraging people to get the PS4 version over the PS5 version this week because of the free upgrade and save a tenner.  Best price on PS4 is around £52 I think, I've paid £58 for the PS5 version with the bonus outfit/spear combo thrown in.  That'll do me until the DLC arrives.

lol I am more than happy to do it for collector editions, but I only do it for games I know I am going to really enjoy (TLOU 2 for example)

Steelbook

Tremortusk Statue

Aloy statue

Mini art book

Loads of in game DLC

Digital soundtrack

Some digital comic book thing as well

https://www.game.co.uk/en/horizon-forbidden-west-collectors-edition-2858122

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Forbidden West reviewing really well

Indeed.  The map is huge also.  One review site pans out across three detailed images to show the scale of it and still bits are missing.

Common complaints involve the usual traversal problems and having too many options to take down machines crafting and swapping on the fly.  Sounds like gaming amateurs underprepared to me.

Bring it.  Hard difficulties all the way.  

Common praise throughout for the brilliant story telling, the graphics, the sheer amount of stuff to do that doesn't feel like AC filler, and comparing it to quality sequels of the past such as ME2, Uncharted 2, AC2 etc.

Fingers crossed this arrives on Wednesday.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

I like to do everything in open world games before getting the platinum though so I reckon 100 hours :thumbup:

I'm getting fed up of waiting for this now.  Still no despatch either so I reckon it won't be here until Friday now.  

Reading the reviews it is clear it is a 8.5-9.5 rated game although the sub 80 scores do not make any sense at all and come across as a deliberate windup to go against the grain.

Take Eurogamer for example, the reviewer tells us the combat options were never fully realised throughout their playthrough, their main criticism, and they just spammed arrows at everything.  There is an admission in there of playing through on easy difficulty.  Seriously, you play on easy difficulty, what do you expect?  lol  Also they have the audacity to take a pop at the lore building and criticize the way in which the apocalypse is handled.  Mention the Odyssey project and Vast Silver and I bet they won't have a clue what you're on about.  These guys also give AC Valhalla recommended - there's not a chance Valhalla is better.  Stevivor, who?, give it 65 and tell us there's only one way to solve puzzles.  Eh?  Please tell us in any other open world game examples of where you can complete puzzles in multiple ways?  There's then an admission of playing the game on certain settings which allow for puzzles to be solved for you.  How do these individuals get their hands on review copies?  They have no clue.

For a detailed look at the game, I found this was a decent watch yesterday:

39 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I like to do everything in open world games before getting the platinum though so I reckon 100 hours :thumbup:

I'm getting fed up of waiting for this now.  Still no despatch either so I reckon it won't be here until Friday now.  

Reading the reviews it is clear it is a 8.5-9.5 rated game although the sub 80 scores do not make any sense at all and come across as a deliberate windup to go against the grain.

Take Eurogamer for example, the reviewer tells us the combat options were never fully realised throughout their playthrough, their main criticism, and they just spammed arrows at everything.  There is an admission in there of playing through on easy difficulty.  Seriously, you play on easy difficulty, what do you expect?  lol  Also they have the audacity to take a pop at the lore building and criticize the way in which the apocalypse is handled.  Mention the Odyssey project and Vast Silver and I bet they won't have a clue what you're on about.  These guys also give AC Valhalla recommended - there's not a chance Valhalla is better.  Stevivor, who?, give it 65 and tell us there's only one way to solve puzzles.  Eh?  Please tell us in any other open world game examples of where you can complete puzzles in multiple ways?  There's then an admission of playing the game on certain settings which allow for puzzles to be solved for you.  How do these individuals get their hands on review copies?  They have no clue.

Yeah I never recommend scouring reviews to justify a gaming purchase, there will always be opinions that don't match your expectations, just wait til it drops and make up your own mind if it was worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I wouldn't get too upset that a review has not given the thumbs up to a game you've been craving for a while.  I thought the Eurogamer review aligned with what I was expecting from FW.  More of the same and if you liked the first you'll like this one.  Proof is in the pudding when the damn thing gets shoved through my letterbox!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zear0 said:

I wouldn't get too upset that a review has not given the thumbs up to a game you've been craving for a while.  I thought the Eurogamer review aligned with what I was expecting from FW.  More of the same and if you liked the first you'll like this one.  Proof is in the pudding when the damn thing gets shoved through my letterbox!

Notification received, my copy is now despatched.  :thumbup:

I'll go hard difficulty when it arrives and see how it goes.

18 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

And now we wait for the installation to finish...

And the update to copy across...lol

It's worth it although I've spent the first 30 minutes listening to the menu soundtrack and then reading all the info dumps in the game menu.

This and flicking between the two graphic options.  Looks quality on a 4k screen on both tbf.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

So, what's the consensus on FW then guys?  

I've not made it to the main map yet, taking my time with it.  

As far as the graphics options go, I'm using performance when doing the action stuff but have turned to the resolution mode on the NPC areas (the latest being back where the last game finished up).  It looks stunning but too slow for me when the pace quickens up so I go back to the 60 fps option for that.

Gone with hard difficulty and will likely use a stealth build in the early going before going in tougher on enemies once I've picked up more abilities and weapons.  The opening boss area was a little tricky on hard but manageable.

The story is bringing up the loose threads from the original in good ways, will be interesting to see where it goes.  This Odyssey Project and the mysterious signal will no doubt play some part in it.

The haptic controls are also a nice addition as well.  Implemented to a high quality as with Astro's,  Will attempt to get to the main map area later on tonight. 

Update:  there appears to be a shimmering issue with the textures on a 4k TV.  Lots of complaints.  I've not noticed it on a 4k monitor, runs perfect.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1

On 18/02/2022 at 19:04, Legend_in_blue said:

So, what's the consensus on FW then guys?  

I've not made it to the main map yet, taking my time with it.  

As far as the graphics options go, I'm using performance when doing the action stuff but have turned to the resolution mode on the NPC areas (the latest being back where the last game finished up).  It looks stunning but too slow for me when the pace quickens up so I go back to the 60 fps option for that.

Gone with hard difficulty and will likely use a stealth build in the early going before going in tougher on enemies once I've picked up more abilities and weapons.  The opening boss area was a little tricky on hard but manageable.

The story is bringing up the loose threads from the original in good ways, will be interesting to see where it goes.  This Odyssey Project and the mysterious signal will no doubt play some part in it.

The haptic controls are also a nice addition as well.  Implemented to a high quality as with Astro's,  Will attempt to get to the main map area later on tonight. 

Update:  there appears to be a shimmering issue with the textures on a 4k TV.  Lots of complaints.  I've not noticed it on a 4k monitor, runs perfect.

Actually had a couple of issues with my PS5 yesterday when trying to play, kept just turning off every so often

Opened it up and the fan was disgusting lol seems to be running fine now, just shows how intensive this game is though!

I have done the same so far with the graphics, going for normal mode in my 1st playthrough (always do normal in my 1st playthrough just so I don't get annoyed at any point in the game lol)

Probably go stealth as well, in a lot of games I usually go with the stealthy archer/distance play

Opening boss was quite fun, and the story is already very interesting after so recently playing the 1st and it being pretty fresh in my memory

Seen a few things on Twitter about the gameplay that I am REALLY looking forward to

Just finished the opening area and done the part in Meridian, so hopefully it opens up into the main map now

Only issue I have so far is not a fan of the silent strike move on the Burrowers, looks a bit janky

Overall really enjoying it and it looks incredible even on my basic ass TV (hopefully getting an upgrade soon though)

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 16:48, moore_94 said:

Actually had a couple of issues with my PS5 yesterday when trying to play, kept just turning off every so often

Opened it up and the fan was disgusting lol seems to be running fine now, just shows how intensive this game is though!

I have done the same so far with the graphics, going for normal mode in my 1st playthrough (always do normal in my 1st playthrough just so I don't get annoyed at any point in the game lol)

Probably go stealth as well, in a lot of games I usually go with the stealthy archer/distance play

Opening boss was quite fun, and the story is already very interesting after so recently playing the 1st and it being pretty fresh in my memory

Seen a few things on Twitter about the gameplay that I am REALLY looking forward to

Just finished the opening area and done the part in Meridian, so hopefully it opens up into the main map now

Only issue I have so far is not a fan of the silent strike move on the Burrowers, looks a bit janky

Overall really enjoying it and it looks incredible even on my basic ass TV (hopefully getting an upgrade soon though)

Just finished another quality hour doing random 'what's in that direction?' type of stuff.  Completed the cave mission and have the javelin.

Immersion in an open world game.  Total immersion in Horizion.  Such a massive change for the better from hold R2, run and parkour over everything and anything, aimlessly mash R1 on all enemy sponges in Valhalla.  

Guerilla Games nail the open world in this so far for me.  Absolutely nailed it.  Much care and attention to detail.  Soundtrack superb in game goes hand in hand with whatever you're doing at the time.  Specific ways to parkour adds to the immersion and stuff doesn't become a mindless chore like in Valhalla.  On hard difficulty the balance is just about right, quite tactical with taking down machines, again no mashing aimlessly like in countless Ubisoft games.

Side quests have weight, meaning, indoor areas have been thought through.  The list goes on and on.  

Roughly 7 hours in and no sign of leaving the first area of the main map either.  I'll continue to take my time.  :thumbup:

Superb game, a must have on PS5.   

Edited by Legend_in_blue