Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Lucky punter placed bet on Leicester City to win 9-0

'We believe no-one else in the country had Leicester to win 9-0'

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/lucky-punter-placed-bet-leicester-3473008

ByAlan Thompson
19:12, 27 OCT 2019
NEWS

One lucky punter ensured his family a bumper Christmas, thanks to Leicester City’s incredible 9-0 trouncing of Southampton on Friday.

Paul Adlam, of Bournemouth, had a £10 in-play punt on his mobile phone at 150-1 on the club reaching the record winning away tally and joint biggest win in the Premier League against his local south coast rivals.

According to a spokesman for BetFred, with which he laid his £10 bet, the carpet fitter chose lucky number nine after seeing the Saints go 3-0 down early on and after the sending off of Ryan Bertrand.

The scoreboard shows the 9-0 win for Leicester City at Southampton (Image: AP Photo/Alastair Grant)
The 41-year-old father-of-two told BetFred the combination of the high score early on and the sending off was what convinced him to pick a high-scoring win. His punt won him £1,500.

A spokesman said: “He said he likes outrageous bets and had one on France beating Argentina in the last World, Cup and won £1,600.

“As Leicester got close to his predicted score he left the lounge to go and watch TV upstairs and his wife wondered what was going on with all the jumping about.

“Leicester have always been a team that bookies are wary of after their 5,000-1 Premier League winning season.

"There’s a lot of confidence around Leicester, they’re the in-form team.

“We believe no-one else in the country had Leicester to win 9-0 and he’s told us he’s going to have the best ever Christmas for him and his family.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gerard said:

if you want to bet £10 on Leicester winning 9-0 every match I'll have your £10 every week. You'd need one of those to come up every three seasons just to break even. 

We were 3-0 up and playing 10 invertebrates when he placed the bet, so it's not quite the same.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gerard said:

if you want to bet £10 on Leicester winning 9-0 every match I'll have your £10 every week. You'd need one of those to come up every three seasons just to break even. 

Agree. Before this match it’s happened only once in PL history, some 13,000 odd matches. Even allowing for the relative form of the two sides the odds should have been at least 1000/1.

Edit: Just noticed the above post, so yeah, that changes things.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

32 minutes ago, treer said:

well he obvoiusly a loser overall, else the bookies woud not allow him to bet in £10 stakes.

I have many betfred accounts and the maximum bet allows a win figure of £5( so at 150/1 odds my stake would have been 4 pence.

Has your mum put a cap on your account?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Anyone feel like donating me £1.5k then?

No?

Thought not.

That's not really the point though. The point is, that anyone who spends £10 on a random 9 - 0 bet (even at 3 - 0 up, is still very unlikely) is someone who probably gambles quite a lot and has probably also lost quite a lot.

I've known quite a few gamblers. They're always very eager to tell you what they've won, and by listening to them, you'd think they were all raking in it. They're normally very quiet about the losses though. 

Good on him for winning £1,500 - seriously. But I very much doubt he's at a net £1,500 profit.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

He doesn’t bet it every week though does he? 

5 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

That's not really the point though.

The point is, that anyone who spends £10 on a random 9 - 0 bet (even at 3 - 0 up, is still very unlikely) is someone who probably gambles quite a lot and has probably also lost quite a lot.

I've known quite a few gamblers. They're always very eager to tell you what they've won, and by listening to them, you'd think they were all raking in it. They're normally very quiet about the losses though.

Good on him for winning £1,500 - seriously. But I very much doubt he's at a net £1,500 profit.

You're right, especially the bolded section, but this is also not the point!