Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Lucky punter placed bet on Leicester City to win 9-0

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're right, especially the bolded section, but this is also not the point! 

I suppose the point, putting it more straight forwardly, is this: How many random £10 bets do you reckon this bloke puts on?

Because "Man randomly puts winning bet on Leicester winning 9 - 0"  is a good story and sounds like a great tale of defying the odds. But "Man puts £10 bet on Leicester 9 - 0, Man United 5 - 0, Liverpool 7 - 3, Villa 7 - 2, makes these bets weekly, and one finally came through"  etc. is not quite so impressive or statistically unlikely.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but to me, a bloke who sticks a tenner on a 9 - 0 isn't your average Joe. He's probably someone who sticks a fair whack of money on a lot of high risk/high reward bets - you just don't hear about the losing ones.

Sorry to be a downer on the whole thing - you can tell I'm very boring with my money. Even so, I wouldn't mind an extra £1,500....

Edited by Charl91

1 minute ago, Charl91 said:

I suppose the point, putting it more straight forwardly, is this: How many random £10 bets do you reckon this bloke puts on?

Because "Man randomly puts winning bet on Leicester winning 9 - 0"  is a good story and sounds like a great tale of defying the odds. But "Man puts £10 bet on Leicester 9 - 0, Man United 5 - 0, Liverpool 7 - 3, Villa 7 - 2, makes these bets weekly, and one finally came through"  etc. is not quite so impressive or statistically unlikely.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but to me, a bloke who sticks a tenner on a 9 - 0 isn't your average Joe. He's probably someone who sticks a fair whack of money on a lot of high risk/high reward bets - you just don't hear about the losing ones.

Sorry to be a downer on the whole thing - you can tell I'm very boring with my money.

I'm a reformed gambler, so you can rest assured I am not impressed with gambling - but good luck to the guy. People are just finding reasons to be unpleasant (not counting you in that number)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm a reformed gambler, so you can rest assured I am not impressed with gambling - but good luck to the guy. People are just finding reasons to be unpleasant (not counting you in that number)

Glad you're reformed! And yeah, best of luck to the guy.  Sometimes think I should try a few more lucky punts, but I get anxious just putting a £10 bet on at 2/1 lol 

1 hour ago, Charl91 said:

Sorry to be a downer on the whole thing - you can tell I'm very boring with my money. Even so, I wouldn't mind an extra £1,500....

I know it's three whole paragraphs, but this is covered in article too.

6-0, 7-0, 8-0 - 0-9 etc are all maxed on bookies max odds. 150/1 pretty poor, some bookies even worse at 100/1 but some paying 500/1... 

There's been roughly 20,000 games since prem started and 19,998 haven't finished 9-0 and none before today had been away.

To take 150/1 was madness and I'd imagine the bookies bragging about it afterwards is worth far more than the loss to them. Sadly whoever placed that bet are in deep trouble and god knows what they've bet on in the past...

It leads me on to this... 

Betting will hopefully be banned soon and each one of those ***** companies will pay their due. 

43 minutes ago, Head Honcho said:

Someone I know had a fiver on 9-0 during half time at 33/1.

i was going to say, there is literally zero chance he was "the only man in the country" who had a bet on 9-0 in play. loads of people will have. if he'd had it pre-match then it would've been half a story, something work noting and having a little laugh at. backing it in-play when we were 3-0 up against 10 men is hardly even that big a shout. 

150/1 seems big though, tbh. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

i was going to say, there is literally zero chance he was "the only man in the country" who had a bet on 9-0 in play. loads of people will have. if he'd had it pre-match then it would've been half a story, something work noting and having a little laugh at. backing it in-play when we were 3-0 up against 10 men is hardly even that big a shout. 

150/1 seems big though, tbh. 

Yeh I thought 150/1 was too big for a bookie to be giving that price at 3-0. It's been 9000 games sonce the last 9-0 is so at kick off the odds should have been similar 200/1 is the most you can get at most bookies though

What people are probably missing is the fact that the game was on TV, so many people (neutrals) watching would have had a bet on the game to provide a bit of interest.

Sticking a few bets on a Friday night game is cheaper than going down the pub and gives someone who enjoys football some investment in the game. I do often, I don’t miss the money because it’s likely that I’d have wasted it on other things anyway. 

How many people at 3-0 thought, this could be 9 or 10? Quite a few I’d imagine. Having a quick check or the odds and it probably was a fair shout seen as though we were starting a rampage and Southampton looked like they’d have to play for about 4 days to score. 

I’m not saying this guy isn’t a bad gambler but £10 on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday (even every day there’s a game) is affordable for some people, especially if one or two come in every now and again. 

Gambling can be as bad as any other addiction, but just because someone does it it’s difficult to say they’re in a bad place because of it. People go out and get absolutely wasted, it doesn’t mean they do it every weekend. 

• Like 1

IT is laughable about all these posts about a £10 bet on 150/1 winner.

Now I don.t know the facts of bet but I do know through experience of the industry how it may have  come about.

Leicester were winning 3/0 after 20 minutes and Saints were down to 10 men.

He has more likely than just 1 bet on 9/0,

had £10 on 6//0 7/0 8//0 9/0 10/0

Now I am not deriding him, fair play to him, and I Hope  he had just the one bet on 9/0, but the chances are he had multiple scores and happened to connect with 9/0

If he had 5 goes the odds are more like 30/1, stiil a great bet.

Buts let not get drawn in to the bookies,media brainwashing bllx

The only way you could get 10£ on at 150/1 is if you have a new account, or you have an account and they have marked you as a  mug.

Edited by treer

2 hours ago, treer said:

IT is laughable about all these posts about a £10 bet on 150/1 winner.

Now I don.t know the facts of bet but I do know through experience of the industry how it may have  come about.

Leicester were winning 3/0 after 20 minutes and Saints were down to 10 men.

He has more likely than just 1 bet on 9/0,

had £10 on 6//0 7/0 8//0 9/0 10/0

Now I am not deriding him, fair play to him, and I Hope  he had just the one bet on 9/0, but the chances are he had multiple scores and happened to connect with 9/0

If he had 5 goes the odds are more like 30/1, stiil a great bet.

Buts let not get drawn in to the bookies,media brainwashing bllx

The only way you could get 10£ on at 150/1 is if you have a new account, or you have an account and they have marked you as a  mug.

You sure you haven’t got restrictions on your account? I bet £10 once or twice a week maximum and looking now I could easily bet £10 on numerous bets of over 150/1

• Like 1