Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

34 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Boris clearly 'winning' this for me but dear god, if these two are the best 'leaders' this country can serve up then it's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Only if you are swayed by monotonous slogans and were routing for him in the first place, otherwise

you would probably say neither really came out on top.

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

One thing I don’t get in this campaign is why the conservatives are making so many promises of change when they’ve already had nearly 10 years to provide it. Surely a party who has been in power for that long should be leaning more on their record and carrying it on rather than making promises for the future. The problem is these things won’t be scrutinised if Johnson doesn’t put himself forwards for a long form interview and it’s easy to dodge tricky questions in a debate format. 

Spent the first 5 years getting out of the economic Crash (when Labour were in power BTW).  So in reality its been the last 4 years.

Oh and we've got record employment......at the moment.

Just to confirm, record employment in case people have forgot that bit.

3 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Spent the first 5 years getting out of the economic Crash (when Labour were in power BTW).  

Jesus Christ, people are still regurgitating this rubbish? Are you trying to imply that Labour caused the global financial crisis?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Spent the first 5 years getting out of the economic Crash (when Labour were in power BTW).  So in reality its been the last 4 years.

Oh and we've got record employment......at the moment.

Just to confirm, record employment in case people have forgot that bit.

Record employment is always a bit of a misleading figure while the population of a country is rising. Also it’s not always about the number of jobs but also the quality of jobs. 

On the first point it’s worth noting that the economic crash was a global one which many other countries dealt with more effectively without the need for extreme austerity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charl91 said:

Jesus Christ, people are still regurgitating this rubbish? Are you trying to imply that Labour caused the global financial crisis?

Right here goes:

No Labour didn't single handedly cause the crash (did I say that)

Yes in the UK, Labour "encourage" the housing boom (unaffordable mortgages), deregulated the banks (1998-2008) and knighted Sir Fred Goodwin amongst others (as an example).

So when the crash hit, their hands were VERY, VERY dirty. OK........

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Record employment is always a bit of a misleading figure while the population of a country is rising. Also it’s not always about the number of jobs but also the quality of jobs. 

On the first point it’s worth noting that the economic crash was a global one which many other countries dealt with more effectively without the need for extreme austerity.

"Record employment is always a bit of a misleading figure while the population of a country is rising. Also it’s not always about the number of jobs but also the quality of jobs." 

So peach0000

Can I quote you on this if Labour are in power by December 2020. Just checking this is ok in advance? Yes?

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Bojo's best performance of the campaign this, seems to be on top form. Corbyn looks like a beaten man for the first time.

A post-debate YouGov audience poll gave it as 52-48 to Johnson (those numbers seem a bit similar somehow....).

That tallies with what I thought: inconclusive....which probably suits both in different ways.

The Tories lead in the polls so will think they just need to avoid game-changing cock-ups, which they did.

Given Corbyn's historic low ratings, Labour needed people to think: "he wasn't as bad as I was expecting - or markedly worse than Boris"....and the YouGov tally suggests that was achieved......but still leaves Labour needing another route to victory (by which, I mean a hung parliament, realistically): not easy, but certainly not impossible.

Committed Tories will think their man performed better, committed Labour their man.

I didn't think Corbyn was brilliant but he got some decent points across if you ignored the bullshit (from both of them). I'd say he was marginally the more articulate & definitely had a stronger command of policy detail.

Johnson always scores high on charisma/persona - he knows how to seem entertaining & has one of those booming "I'm born to lead" voices....I suppose that's partly what you pay Eton to give your kid! He even uses that to get away with a lot of diversionary rambling. Though I'm sure the Tories will see it as a success that he kept getting the "get Brexit done" line in. That will please committed supporters, but will it sway waverers? :dunno:

Meh! No game-changing moments. Barring unexpected events in the coming days, all down to stuff like what goes through wavering voters' heads, what turnout is like among different groups, ground mobilisation, tactical voting etc. 

• Like 2

Was voting Conservatives but Johnson’s done it for me now, answer the question man, he’s got nothing. He really is a buffoon. Just hope the election gets rid of both with a hung parliament. What is happening to this country, a Prime Minister who lies, lies, lies and lies, so much hidden about him and his girlfriend. Know security risk. My country has produced this individual to become leader. He’s not even born here.

Edited by chinna

3 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

"Record employment is always a bit of a misleading figure while the population of a country is rising. Also it’s not always about the number of jobs but also the quality of jobs." 

So peach0000

Can I quote you on this if Labour are in power by December 2020. Just checking this is ok in advance? Yes?

You can if you wish to. I think you’re wrongly assuming 1. That I am a Labour voter and 2. Labour have a realistic chance of being in power by the date you have set

6 minutes ago, Vulpine Victor said:

Zero hour contracts, not real jobs. How can you get a mortgage or plan for the future with a part time job. The economic crash was global, the banks that caused it were bailed out. The establishment looking after the establishment. Austerity was a political choice, making the poorest in society paying for the mistake of the financial sector. Once again Johnson ( Alexander Boris de  Pfeffel Johnson, to give him his real name) once again never answered a question just bubbled on. Heaven help us if this UK version of Trump wins the election. It will be the most reactionary right-wing government we have had in modern times.

:mad:

1 minute ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Well Lid Dems and Green's might make it into a coalition.

I think I'll quote you next year :revenge:

Also not a Lib Dem or a Green. I think it would be fair to call me a floating voter. I will usually vote for the party that will benefit me the most in my current situation to be honest. I’m just about favouring labour at the moment but have a real block voting for any party that won’t enact the brexit referendum as fundamentally I believe it would be anti democratic not to do so.

18 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Except it's not just raw figures its the employment rate as well, which is the measure normally used for exactly that reason. Was 76.1% in March, slipped back to 76% now but is still higher than at any other point since records began in 1971. And given the increase in working women, we can probably say ever, at least in peace time. 

10 minutes ago, Vulpine Victor said:

Zero hour contracts, not real jobs. How can you get a mortgage or plan for the future with a part time job. 

The employment rate would be higher than at any point pre-2015 even if you took out zero hour contracts. Full-time employment is also at a record high.

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

One thing I don’t get in this campaign is why the conservatives are making so many promises of change when they’ve already had nearly 10 years to provide it. Surely a party who has been in power for that long should be leaning more on their record and carrying it on rather than making promises for the future. The problem is these things won’t be scrutinised if Johnson doesn’t put himself forwards for a long form interview and it’s easy to dodge tricky questions in a debate format. 

Boris is a very different leader to Theresa May.  Corbyn is nothing like Blair etc.

38 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

A lot of people seem to want an hung parliament but what is that going to solve?

It’s going to thwart any Brexit progression. 

Which is what a lot of people will be voting for. 

More inertia. 

Great. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chinna said:

It will get rid of both party leaders. And then there will be another election with leaders who would be a better choice.

It won’t do that at all tho will it

It will just be more delays with the country still frozen in limbo 

out of Interest tho who would be these better choice new leaders be? 

Just watching Nicky Morgan being interviewed on the TV and it’s just unbearable. It’s not just her it’s fvcking all of them. A valid question is asked and the response is just an on message manifesto soundbyte not answering the question asked at all and repeat...

The standard of political debate is just dogshit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

People still not understanding that YouGov is owned by Tories? 

Screenshot_20191207-091424.png

Wasn’t the yougov vote 48/52? 

express.co.uk did a vote Corbyn 13% Johnson 87%

In total, 4,706 Express.co.uk readers took part, with 4,075 of these voting for the Tory leader.

i guess they must be owned by the tories as well

9 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Wasn’t the yougov vote 48/52? 

express.co.uk did a vote Corbyn 13% Johnson 87%

In total, 4,706 Express.co.uk readers took part, with 4,075 of these voting for the Tory leader.

i guess they must be owned by the tories as well

I was being serious: YouGov is actually owned by Tories. (And yet it's the only Poll BBC quoted last night). 

I don't know what the Express is?! Thankfully.