Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Campaign to Re-Open The Ivanhoe Line

https://ivanhoeline.org/?fbclid=IwAR1AjoGcNwNfgQcuVq87RvviuQ8jyW2xrIMBffv64ASQ0XmkSj-61MUWHqo

About the Ivanhoe Line

Prior to 1964 the railway line was a direct passenger link between Burton on Trent and Leicester, but it was closed to passenger services under the Beeching Closures.
Now the area around is growing faster than in many other areas of the UK and a passenger railway is needed urgently.

At present the line is run only for slow-speed freight, mainly ballast trains from Bardon Quarry.  It is our intention to lobby for the realignment and upgrading of the track bed to allow light passenger trains to run a 1/2 hour peak service.

• Like 3

The northbound link from the Ivanhoe line to the Midland Mainline was removed and built on years ago. Any train service would have to head south, then reverse back north to Leicester. Not impossible to deal with but blocks the mainline for a short time. Freight trains already have to do this though. 

15 hours ago, The Syrup said:

The northbound link from the Ivanhoe line to the Midland Mainline was removed and built on years ago. Any train service would have to head south, then reverse back north to Leicester. Not impossible to deal with but blocks the mainline for a short time. Freight trains already have to do this though. 

Would there not be enough room to put a northbound curve in by Saffron Lane stadium? I'm guessing there used to be one there?

28 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm no rail engineer obviously, but would there not be room for a single track curve to the immediate east of the athletics track?

Not enough room for a northbound curve on what land is now available. I think the old curve would have come off the mainline around where it says Halfords Putney Rd in the image above. This has been talked about for decades, even when the first part of the Ivanhoe line opened to stations like Syston, Barrow and Sileby. Big investment needed for what is a minor branch line., probably better off investing in more frequent bus services to that part of the county.

• Like 1

It would be a great idea as the area the line passes through is well populated and a railway would probably reduce the travel time from Leicester to Burton to 40-45 minutes, allowing for several stops at intermediate stations. Don't know what the time for the bus is but it would certainly be much more than that as at busy times it can sometimes take over half an hour just to get out of Leicester by road.

Map attached which shows the area as it was in 1952. With a north facing curve exactly where Syrup says.

Map courtesy of the National Library of Scotland web site.

Ivanhoe.PNG

• Like 3

They could re-open the line on cheap if they wanted I guess. Reverse trains at the junction to Leicester so no north curve required, minimal track work could be done as the line is already used by freight trains heading to the quarries, although this might result in a low speed limit and might be bumpy. Some branch lines are starting to introduce 'new' class 230 trains, refurbished tube trains from the 70s that can be fitted with engines or batteries. Much cheaper than new builds. New stations can be basic (like Syston), just a short platform and a bus shelter. 

Class 230 ex-tube trains in action below

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Oh, I got the impression we'd got the funding to go ahead, not just a feasibility study. Nothing guaranteed then. 

:(

At least it has some recognition and money behind it to move it forward now. That’s more than they could have said a few months ago.

• Like 1

I’d like to see all the old little stations open up so people can use trains to get from village to village again.

Id also like to see those weird journeys addressed that take silly time because of line routing - Rugby to Leicester is 19 miles but if you go via Nuneaton which means that it takes anything from an hour to an hour and a half. 

You can go from Rugby or Leicester to London in sub 50mins! 

Today we are delighted to report that additional "Development Funding" has been announced by Grant Shapps MP, Secretary if State for Transport during the daily briefing.

What does this mean?

Whilst the announcement is not a guarantee that the line will open, there are several significant things about it:

• It effectively doubles our funding for a feasibility so we can consider the wider network aspects of the line.
  • Central Government are now involved, which helps massively with coordination of departments and stakeholders.
  • Specific attention was drawn to the Ivanhoe Line, and once a public announcement is made, it becomes politically more difficult to back-track.
  • The positioning of the announcement was part of a wider rallying cry to get the economy moving again - emphasising one of our major points about the purpose of the line.

So whilst we can't rest on our laurels, and there is much work in the months ahead, we can pause for a moment to enjoy the taste of success!

I don't live in that area so it doesn't really affect me, but the Loughborough to Leicester line that runs through Syston is great service. We can be in the town in less than 10 minutes. The amount of cars this could take off the road, the amount of people who could feasibly move to NW Leics if this happened makes it a no brainer for me. 

Edited by Webbo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I don't live in that area so it doesn't really affect me, but the Loughborough to Leicester line that runs through Syston is great service. We can be in the town in less than 10 minutes. The amount of cars this could take off the road, the amount of people who could feasibly move to NW Leics if this happened makes it a no brainer for me. 

I sometimes get the train from Narborough for the footy and it's always rammed with people from Hinckley and then a load from Narborough.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

I sometimes get the train from Narborough for the footy and it's always rammed with people from Hinckley and then a load from Narborough.

It's packed on match days, half the time you're off the train before the conductor can sell you a ticket. 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It's packed on match days, half the time you're off the train before the conductor can sell you a ticket. 

Aye I've had a few free trips but the single journey back  costs almost the same as the return ticket

• Like 1

If the line does re-open, I can't see them wanting to stop and reverse trains.

I would've thought more likely, would be to compulsorary purchase the Saffron Lane stadium - then reprofile the line, with a curve northwards.   I think they'd be space for that.

Alternatively, there might be room for a flyover out, and over the lines, although it would be a bit tight.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...