Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Campaign to Re-Open The Ivanhoe Line

It feels like it has some good momentum.  Getting from Ashby to Leicester via train would really open up the city for those of us in NW Leicestershire. 

As an example, I'm out in Leicester Friday night.  I'll have to get a taxi home as there isn't any alternative. Plus the bus journey over there takes FOREVER!

The cost to do that is crazy, so ordinarily, I would avoid going out in leicester.

If there was a convenient train journey, I'd do it much more often. 

• Like 2

I really hope it happens, but I doubt that timeframe is realistic, the line is ****ed and needs to go again from scratch. If we can get a station built at the back of the KP as well, that would be fantastic. Will cost a lot of money to just get the track running with passenger trains again, never mind build the new stations or re-open the existing ones.

18 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I really hope it happens, but I doubt that timeframe is realistic, the line is ****ed and needs to go again from scratch. If we can get a station built at the back of the KP as well, that would be fantastic. Will cost a lot of money to just get the track running with passenger trains again, never mind build the new stations or re-open the existing ones.

How much of a barrier to it is the junction near Saffron Lane stadium? Would it take much work to rebuild it so trains don't have to reverse?

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

How much of a barrier to it is the junction near Saffron Lane stadium? Would it take much work to rebuild it so trains don't have to reverse?

I think I read somewhere, in the short term anyway that the KP stop would be considered Leicester South so would terminate there. I assume with some sort of Park and Ride to/from it. 

not ideal but if it got it up and running quicker probably a good pragmatic decision.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The north curve was dug up many years ago and the land sold. Its now an industrial estate. That just leaves the south facing curve from the Burton line onto the midland mainline, as you say any trains from the north has to reverse at Knighton junction to access the Burton line. Freight trains that currently use the line to the quarries near Coalville already do this..

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Update from the CRIL FB page. 

"Billy Morrison, thank you for posting this pic of the NR test train on the line.

Whilst the train was running CRIL were in a meeting with the Government, Network Rail and East Midlands Railway about the plan to reopen. 

I can't share the details yet but the atmosphere in the room was very positive for an early reopening. An announcement about the next stage and the path to a reopening is expected soon.

Needless to say as soon as we hear the announcement we will share it with you all on here straight away!"

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Balders65 said:

That test train runs once a month, it has to to allow the current line to be operational. There has been so much theft along the line that this is currently the only train that runs between Burton, Moira west and Mantle lane. How do I know? Well I’m one of the team that does the pilot working on it. 

Any chance you can run your tests on match days and give me a lift 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Balders65 said:

That test train runs once a month, it has to to allow the current line to be operational. There has been so much theft along the line that this is currently the only train that runs between Burton, Moira west and Mantle lane. How do I know? Well I’m one of the team that does the pilot working on it. 

Can you tell us if this is likely to progress then?? 

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Ahem. Here goes:

He's leaving (leaving)

On that midnight train to Burton - Midnight train to Burton

Said he's going back to find- Going back to find

A similar place and time when he takes that ride.......

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Ahem. Here goes:

He's leaving (leaving)

On that midnight train to Burton - Midnight train to Burton

Said he's going back to find- Going back to find

A similar place and time when he takes that ride.......

I refuse to correct the mistake after this effort lol

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/local-news/bid-launched-stop-new-burton-8396848?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Bid launched to stop new Burton-to-Leicester train line being built
Protesters say bringing back the Ivanhoe Line would see their houses' value plummet

NEWS
ByJenny MoodySenior reporter
05:00, 1 MAY 2023

The Ivanhoe Line has been closed to passengers since the 1960s (Image: Geoff Bell)
Plans to reopen a railway line taking passengers between Burton and Leicester has been hit with opposition - with campaigners trying to get the project scrapped.

There has long been a push to get the historic Ivanhoe Line up and running again for passengers - and there have been some massive developments in the last few years.

The Campaign to Reopen the Ivanhoe Line (CRIL) group has previously said it could be open by as early as 2026, with work possibly starting as early as 2024.

However, a petition has now been launched appeared on the government website asking for the restoration to stop because of fears it will cause the value of nearby houses to plummet.

The petition states: "We want the Government to stop restoration of the Ivanhoe train line from Leicester to Burton on Trent, which runs next to new and old housing.

"Restoring and reopening this passenger line could substantially reduce the value of homes, causing extreme financial hardship to families.

"The noise from passenger trains would also impact day to day life of the local people. The homes next to the line could lose the privacy of their gardens and homes. The line has not been open to passengers for decades. Please don’t ruin the lives of home owners in the area."

So far it only has 13 signatures, but it needs 10,000 for the government to respond and 100,000 for it to be debated in Parliament. CRIL has been approached for comment.

The campaign to restore the Ivanhoe Line
The Ivanhoe Line was closed to passengers in 1964 when it fell victim to the Dr Beeching Cuts. This was when British Railways chairman Dr Richard Beeching closed thousands of stations and hundreds of branch lines to make the nationalised railways profitable again.

There have been a number of campaigns to bring it back over the decades all failing. However, The Campaign to Reopen the Ivanhoe Line (CRIL) group now seems to be making it happen and met with the Department for Transport (DfT) and Network Rail last year to discuss the latest developments.

Funding studies into the line’s sought-after return were being carried out, with campaigners saying real progress is being made. The Department of Transport funded the feasibility study in full themselves, with CRIL hoping to have a number of stations along the line’s route, with Coalville, Ashby and Moira as well as Swadlincote among those set to benefit from the restoration.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/local-news/bid-launched-stop-new-burton-8396848?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Bid launched to stop new Burton-to-Leicester train line being built
Protesters say bringing back the Ivanhoe Line would see their houses' value plummet

NEWS
ByJenny MoodySenior reporter
05:00, 1 MAY 2023

The Ivanhoe Line has been closed to passengers since the 1960s (Image: Geoff Bell)
Plans to reopen a railway line taking passengers between Burton and Leicester has been hit with opposition - with campaigners trying to get the project scrapped.

There has long been a push to get the historic Ivanhoe Line up and running again for passengers - and there have been some massive developments in the last few years.

The Campaign to Reopen the Ivanhoe Line (CRIL) group has previously said it could be open by as early as 2026, with work possibly starting as early as 2024.

However, a petition has now been launched appeared on the government website asking for the restoration to stop because of fears it will cause the value of nearby houses to plummet.

The petition states: "We want the Government to stop restoration of the Ivanhoe train line from Leicester to Burton on Trent, which runs next to new and old housing.

"Restoring and reopening this passenger line could substantially reduce the value of homes, causing extreme financial hardship to families.

"The noise from passenger trains would also impact day to day life of the local people. The homes next to the line could lose the privacy of their gardens and homes. The line has not been open to passengers for decades. Please don’t ruin the lives of home owners in the area."

So far it only has 13 signatures, but it needs 10,000 for the government to respond and 100,000 for it to be debated in Parliament. CRIL has been approached for comment.

The campaign to restore the Ivanhoe Line
The Ivanhoe Line was closed to passengers in 1964 when it fell victim to the Dr Beeching Cuts. This was when British Railways chairman Dr Richard Beeching closed thousands of stations and hundreds of branch lines to make the nationalised railways profitable again.

There have been a number of campaigns to bring it back over the decades all failing. However, The Campaign to Reopen the Ivanhoe Line (CRIL) group now seems to be making it happen and met with the Department for Transport (DfT) and Network Rail last year to discuss the latest developments.

Funding studies into the line’s sought-after return were being carried out, with campaigners saying real progress is being made. The Department of Transport funded the feasibility study in full themselves, with CRIL hoping to have a number of stations along the line’s route, with Coalville, Ashby and Moira as well as Swadlincote among those set to benefit from the restoration.

What are they taking about . Houses prices go up if better railway links are established. 😅

• 2 months later...

Douglas McLay

Group expert
The work is progressing according to plan and is due to be complete by the end of the year.
We sit on the monthly DfT Project Development Group and hear the reports on progress. So far there have been no delays in the work. At this stage it is too early for results of this work to be visible but no "show stoppers" have popped up.
I know that this is a bit vague but we are working on getting clearance for some more details to be released.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
In response to Roger Landers post yesterday
"So where is the project now? We really seem to have lost momentum"
The Project is very much alive. As Daniel Dean Woodward said in his reply there was a team of Department of Transport officials and Network Rail senior manager and engineers in Gresley, Ashby and Coalville yesterday looking at station sites etc. I met with them during this visit
This is just one part of the work to produce a design for reopening the Line which Network Rail have received significant government funding for. This is due to be completed by the end of this year. After that we will be ready for work to start on the line itself when funding for the next stage is released by the government.
This will of course be contingent on the benefits of re-opening justifying the cost. Local support for the re opening is a major factor in convincing the government to go ahead. CRIL will be organising means of demonstrating this support.
In the meantime members of this group can help us with this work can here by making their support known through this page and by encouraging others to do so too.
Douglas McLay
CRIL Head of Railtech

16 hours ago, Daggers said:

…and no one spoke about the line ever again.

It's already gone through quite a few stages so i'm more hopeful than before, however, if it relies on Tories giving real cash to something outside London that isn't HS2 then it's ****ed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lako42 said:

It's already gone through quite a few stages so i'm more hopeful than before, however, if it relies on Tories giving real cash to something outside London that isn't HS2 then it's ****ed. 

They love giving out funding for white elephants in the north instead of anything practical 

6 hours ago, Lako42 said:

It's more likely to be a change of direction in policy as I doubt the tories will still be in power after the next election. 

I do still think we need a nationwide integrated transport plan, and some long term thinking, but Labour might come up with different priorities if they come in. (not that I'm suggesting that the tories have a joined up plan currently by the way!) 

45 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

It's more likely to be a change of direction in policy as I doubt the tories will still be in power after the next election. 

I do still think we need a nationwide integrated transport plan, and some long term thinking, but Labour might come up with different priorities if they come in. (not that I'm suggesting that the tories have a joined up plan currently by the way!) 

Unfortunately it seems no political party likes joined up thinking/planning. They prefer it all separate so they can choose where the money goes and it's usually to an area that could bring in a few extra votes.

If you want government/tax payer's money you're best to be in a  constuiency with big majority for any particular party.

• Like 1