Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Tactics not going to plan

4 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Sometimes managers get the tactics wrong in games - fact. Even the best managers get it wrong sometimes, Guardiola on more than one occasion this season. Don't think we should be digging Brendan out too much as he's got it right a lot more often than he's got it wrong. Remember we don't have the squad depth that the teams around us do.

100% paddy ..... last week we changed  it when it was clear it was wrong ........ yesterday we did pretty much nothing.... why ?  I don’t believe many are blaming the manager for getting his selection wrong but why on earth not make changes that were being cried out for ?? 

5 hours ago, lcfcbally said:

2nd in the league and League cup semi final at Christmas what more did you expect?🙈

Everything going to plan in my eyes.

My worry is for the third time this season we’ve turned up at a big club away game and looked completely shitscared. Throw in an awful first half at Chelsea too. 

Its a concern because if we want be successful, we are playing for the right to be in these type of matches and then failing once there 

5 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Norwich we set up wrong with the diamond. It allowed Cantwell, Buendia and Pukki time and space. I think yesterday we were just outclassed. I don’t think for a minute the plan was to stop the full backs pushing up, but Man City pinned us back, and De Bruyne pushed up on Chilwell’s side so often, that it left Mahrez free. Chilwell didn’t know who to pick up. The wingers ended up deep, not offering enough protection, leaving Vardy isolated as the only outlet with no help near him. We could’ve had a tactical masterclass yesterday and still lost, Man City were just to hot to handle unfortunately 

... it begs the question, is Brendans' tactical nous in query. 

He was schooled by Rafa and seems to have no answer to the questions posed in the big games. He constantly came up short in Europe and for someone of his experience I am surprised he fails to find a way to combat the situations. 

Guest An Sionnach
4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

1) tactics may or may not be to blame for yesterday's defeat 

2) the opposition were superb

3) the players are jaded and have dropped off in form

4) I'm surprised how many people think the Sterling incident was a penalty

3) is real worry, lose to Liverpool and West Ham and rattles will be out of the pram on here.

30 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... it begs the question, is Brendans' tactical nous in query. 

He was schooled by Rafa and seems to have no answer to the questions posed in the big games. He constantly came up short in Europe and for someone of his experience I am surprised he fails to find a way to combat the situations. 

We set up well at the Etihad last season. There’s an element of young players learning the game, and games like yesterday are a good learning experience for everyone. Once we’ve got through this season, we’ll have a team who are fitter with a year of high intensity football under their belts, better experienced, and a better understanding. Maybe we need some more experience to come into the squad? As for Brendan, took a gamble with plan B against Norwich when plan A was better suited. Can understand it given the success it yielded against Everton and Villa. Norwich put up a very good performance into the bargain. He may not be perfect, but no manager is. I think it was Jose he worked under, not Rafa. He’s still developing as a coach as well. Overall we aren’t the finished article, but we are still a bloody good one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DerbyshireFox said:

We set up well at the Etihad last season. There’s an element of young players learning the game, and games like yesterday are a good learning experience for everyone. Once we’ve got through this season, we’ll have a team who are fitter with a year of high intensity football under their belts, better experienced, and a better understanding. Maybe we need some more experience to come into the squad? As for Brendan, took a gamble with plan B against Norwich when plan A was better suited. Can understand it given the success it yielded against Everton and Villa. Norwich put up a very good performance into the bargain. He may not be perfect, but no manager is. I think it was Jose he worked under, not Rafa. He’s still developing as a coach as well. Overall we aren’t the finished article, but we are still a bloody good one

.. what I meant was, he was given a tactical masterclass by Rafa when we played Newcastle last season. 

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. what I meant was, he was given a tactical masterclass by Rafa when we played Newcastle last season. 

I understand! To be fair, that’s three seasons running Newcastle did that. I think that exposed a problem of struggling to break sides down which we’ve had for years. That’s one thing we seem to have learnt from this year to be fair 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, DerbyshireFox said:

I understand! To be fair, that’s three seasons running Newcastle did that. I think that exposed a problem of struggling to break sides down which we’ve had for years. That’s one thing we seem to have learnt from this year to be fair 

Every match poses different problems , it's a managers job to set his team up to cope with that. On balance Man. City have better players than us but not that much better. We made them look like peak Barcelona yesterday. Rodgers got it wrong period. Should have been a tough battle with Man. City probably just edging it.

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

One dimensional won us the Premier League.

Yes that's true but there were other factors at play also. It was also very direct which suited the players we had then.

The point I was making though is that you get found out very quickly at this level. You're either good enough to impose yourself on the opposition or not. Yesterday being an example.

We have evolved from a direct style to a possession style. You have to be able to mix it up though. We continued to try and play football when we were being over run in defense.

Wouldn't  it have been better to play it long into the corners trying to get on the ball and turn Man city. Our lack of Ball winners in the team also cost us.

Anyway I don't think we were ever going to get on top of Man City yesterday, They were totally up for it and again it's another lesson for our young squad.

We move on and continue to build and grow, but we are talking about the fine margins now at the top. Which is good.

Edited by Clever Fox
errors
  • Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
3 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I mean, every team goes in to win every game. The point is the hysterics of which we react when we don't win a game, as if it's some kind of travesty

Sometimes you set up right, your players perform and you still get beaten, that's football. No need for analysis, move on. Yesterday was not like that, hence the inquest.

3 hours ago, grumpy old git said:

Talk about being hung out to dry on his birthday, I felt very sorry Chilwell yesterday I believe Roger made a massive and basic error by not listing either Hamza or Fuchs in the squad but also not using another defender as extra defensive cover on both DB and RM.

And then he would have been lambasted for going to the Etihad 'to sit back'. When Kevin De Bruyne is in form like that he is literally unplayable - he was like a magician yesterday. The quality of his passing is second to none in world football in my opinion, particularly at the moment. It is good for our youngsters to see the level they should aspire to reach too. Again, if Barnes scores his chance and it's 2-2, nobody discusses an ineptitude in tactics - instead we celebrate a good result. Brendan will have something up his sleeve against Liverpool! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I mean, every team goes in to win every game. The point is the hysterics of which we react when we don't win a game, as if it's some kind of travesty

That's the point. it  is a travesty. But may I respectfully suggest that maybe you just don't have the passion like some on here. If a defeat doesn't hurt then maybe you're following the wrong game.