Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

On 29/08/2021 at 13:58, Scotch said:

I'm naw so sure. He might hide it better than others but he's from an era of Rangers players who touched a picture of the Queen as they left the dressing room.

That still happens btw, Jimmy Bell even takes it to away games. That's coming from a current first team player.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

On 31/08/2021 at 11:25, Scotch said:

That's bonkers. Utterly mental that still goes on today. 

There was a picture on twitter the other evening with the union bears in the dressing room celebrating when Rangers won the league last season and you could see the very same picture still hanging there above the pine panelling lol 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Trying to buy tickets to watch Rangers play Aberdeen at the end of the month, while on holiday down there. Easy said than done before you attend you need to have booking history or buy £50 membership. Which is shame if anyone has any contacts with the club, would be helpful. 

8 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Trying to buy tickets to watch Rangers play Aberdeen at the end of the month, while on holiday down there. Easy said than done before you attend you need to have booking history or buy £50 membership. Which is shame if anyone has any contacts with the club, would be helpful. 

Is that only the same as us but we charge £40 not £50?

You are Nuneaton way right, maybe drop Birmingham RSC a line.

9 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Leave it with me pal and I'll ask around. My father in law and a guy I work with are season ticket holders and I know they have access to a few season tickets that are used communally as and when people need it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up as a Rangers fan in the 90s, the man is an utter legend. He is to Scotland what Brian Clough was to England. Old school manager who took no sh!t and demanded respect.

At least Chick Young will get some peace now.... 

• Haha 4

Reading a story there that I had never heard before about how, when Gascoigne first came to Ibrox, Walter heard that he would be spending Christmas alone and insisted that he joined the Smith family to spend Christmas there with them. 

Gascoigne had his demoms and was somewhat taken for granted by a LOT of people in football so for Walter to show so much love and respect for him tells you all you need to know about the kind of man he was. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Reading a story there that I had never heard before about how, when Gascoigne first came to Ibrox, Walter heard that he would be spending Christmas alone and insisted that he joined the Smith family to spend Christmas there with them. 

Gascoigne had his demoms and was somewhat taken for granted by a LOT of people in football so for Walter to show so much love and respect for him tells you all you need to know about the kind of man he was. 

One of the great parts of a job I had in the 90's was to regularly take some fanatical Rangers supporting customers to Ibrox. Occasional Old Firm games, quite a few European matches and a handful of games against Aberdeen. I think most were with Walter Smith as manager. He was a staple on Sportscene during the years I spent up there and always came across as a dignified, thoughtful man in interviews. I'd heard that story about Gascoigne before, it's a true mark of the man. A legendary manager from a country who have produced a few. 

As a footnote, I accidentally came across a Jim McLean interview on youtube a couple of days back, where he has a pop at the reporter and apparently gives him a smack in the chops just off camera (sometime in the 80's I think). They breed them tough up there and Smith, despite his avuncular appearance, was as tough as they come. Sad day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

As a footnote, I accidentally came across a Jim McLean interview on youtube a couple of days back, where he has a pop at the reporter and apparently gives him a smack in the chops just off camera (sometime in the 80's I think). 

It was the year 2000.  But you wouldn't know from watching it...

Jim McLean sticking one on John Barnes (no, not that one, the BBC interviewer) after a 4-0 pasting off Hearts and awkward questions about the manager is an all-time classic. lol 

McLean had to resign from the board after it.

Walter Smith worked under McLean at Dundee United, so Smith swearing a bit at Chic Young whilst laughing at him was letting Young off really lightly.

You could tell Young (an utter joke figure) was quite rattled.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

It was the year 2000.  But you wouldn't know from watching it...

Jim McLean sticking one on John Barnes (no, not that one, the BBC interviewer) after a 4-0 pasting off Hearts and awkward questions about the manager is an all-time classic. lol 

McLean had to resign from the board after it.

Walter Smith worked under McLean at Dundee United, so Smith swearing a bit at Chic Young whilst laughing at him was letting Young off really lightly.

You could tell Young (an utter joke figure) was quite rattled.

Wow, 2000. Wtf were those cameras? It almost looked like it was in sepia lol I assumed it was from his time as manager.

I remember Young, bit of a knob, a word I heard north of the border that summed him up was 'gnaff', though I'm not sure if that's how you spell it.

5 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Wow, 2000. Wtf were those cameras? It almost looked like it was in sepia lol I assumed it was from his time as manager.

I remember Young, bit of a knob, a word I heard north of the border that summed him up was 'gnaff', though I'm not sure if that's how you spell it.

Nyaff?

As in "a wee nyaff" ?  

lol

Now there's a word I haven't heard in a long time...

Screenshot_20211026-222056_DuckDuckGo.jpg.bd733350603e3beadb311d74a8317961.jpg

6 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Nyaff?

As in "a wee nyaff" ?  

lol

Now there's a word I haven't heard in a long time...

Screenshot_20211026-222056_DuckDuckGo.jpg.bd733350603e3beadb311d74a8317961.jpg

That's the one lol Always thought it was a 'gn' but 'ny' works.

It was probably the utter disdain with which people used the term that made it so funny for me. Indeed, it was often preceded by 'ya wee'. Used to make me chuckle every time. As did 'baws' for some reason.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle

• 2 weeks later...