Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Snooker 2020

16 hours ago, String fellow said:

It was brave of Ali Carter to contradict Desislava Bozhilova last night regarding that missed yellow. She looks so much like she must be obeyed!

She should have been stronger, because he clearly didn't hit it. 

I really don't like Carter. He has such a mardy attitude, and always gets riled up when things go against him. Like when he had that foul called against him on the yellow and he immediately said it wasn't. ****. I wish the ref (schwing) had told him where to go on that one instead of changing her mind. 

• 3 weeks later...

As the Coral Snooker Grand Prix reaches its conclusion tonight in Cheltenham, I have a question about the break-off shot. Why don't the players ever play to miss the pack and hit it from off the bottom cushion using a bit of side on the cue ball? It's dead easy to play and stops any chance of the opponent clearing up straight away, which often happens from a normal break-off shot, if one loose red goes up the table. Is coming off the bottom cushion first considered an unsporting shot, or does it inevitably lead to a re-rack situation developing? One other question - if you're on a colour, but the remaining reds have surrounded the cue ball, making it impossible to hit any colour at all, what happens?    

I play snooker regularly in the local league and often think the break off shot isn't fit for purpose. Especially with the long potting ability nowadays. My preference would be to come off the pack really thin and not come round off three cushions to get the white safe. Just up and down off one cushion behind the yellow. Resting in behind the pack gets you no advantage whatsoever and would probably lead to re-racks. 

Not sure about your second question. You're just snookered on all colours. But you can't play a legal shot, so maybe it'd be a re-rack. Dunno tbh. It'd be once in a lifetime occurance to not be able to play the white out somehow. 

After a quick search I found this:

14. Foul and a Miss
The striker shall, to the best of his ability, endeavour to hit the ball on. If the referee considers the Rule infringed, he shall call FOUL AND A MISS unless only the Black remains on the table, or a situation exists where it is impossible to hit the ball on.  In the latter case it must be assumed the striker is attempting to hit the ball on provided that he plays, directly or indirectly, at the ball on with sufficient strength, in the referee’s opinion, to have reached the ball on but for the obstructing ball or balls. 

So you have to play into the reds, commit a foul and give away 4 points (assuming you nominated brown or less). But you'd have to try and do so in a way that left your opponent the least advantage possible as he'd be on a red next. 

P. S. "Ball on" is just a term which means the ball you are legally required to hit or play for next. In this case any colour. 

Edited by The Bear

The standard is very high at the minute. You could easily make a case for about 8 of them at the start of any given tournament. Just look at Dott this week. Granted he wouldn’t be a pick of the eight but he’s played fantastic. 

Judd has looked unbeatable at some point over the last season. Robertson is playing that way now. Even when out of form, any of the big names can go and win something and that’s all they need for a good run of form. 

Regarding Selby, I think many are now figuring him out and their own safety game is getting a lot better as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Judd Trump on winning the Players' Championship.tonight. And what about his amazing sportsmanship? In one frame, he thought he'd possibly fouled the yellow, and asked the ref to check the video. If only such sportsmanship were present in football....