Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

7 hours ago, DB11 said:

On a treadmill do you stick at the same speed or alternate it? How do you decide what speed you’re going to go with and what makes you adjust it? And what incline do you use?

I usually start at 10.5 speed for the first 1km then increase by 0.5-1.0 per km after that. Sometimes it depends how I’m feeling and what music I’m listening too tbh. Yesterday I whacked it up to 14 speed between 3-4km then reduced to 11 speed for the last km. There’s no science to it really! The main thing is trying to beat my PB each time but not always possible. I used to run on 0.5 incline but now 0.0 all the way.

23 hours ago, Izzy said:

Did 5km in 26 mins today and determined to get under 25 mins by new year. I know that’s slow compared to some on here but I’ll be well chuffed if I can do that.

That's Usain Bolt compared to me!!

Managed 5k in 32mins on the treadmill yesterday, easing myself back into it after struggling last week.

Finding it tougher than I thought but on we go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That's Usain Bolt compared to me!!

Managed 5k in 32mins on the treadmill yesterday, easing myself back into it after struggling last week.

Finding it tougher than I thought but on we go.

@Xen is on about doing 5km in sub 20 minutes! That's 15 speed constantly on the treadmill. In other words, sprinting for 20 minutes!

Madness lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

@Xen is on about doing 5km in sub 20 minutes! That's 15 speed constantly on the treadmill. In other words, sprinting for 20 minutes!

Madness lol

Believe me, it's madness to me as well :sweating: 

The mile TT I ran (6:26) the other day was a fair way off of my PB, but even accounting for that its still crazy to think that I'll have to hit that pace and hold it for treble the distance, and then a bit more. An all-out 5k is a horrible race to push yourself 100% on - give me a 10k/HM instead and I'd be much happier lol 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Xen said:

The mile TT I ran (6:26) the other day was a fair way off of my PB, but even accounting for that its still crazy to think that I'll have to hit that pace and hold it for treble the distance, and then a bit more. An all-out 5k is a horrible race to push yourself 100% on - give me a 10k/HM instead and I'd be much happier lol 

Agree with this - did a half about three weeks ago. The barrier there is 15k for me before I get wobbly legs. 10k it’s less of a push but it’s the difficulty maintaining pace (or trying to make it up if you’ve had an iffy couple of k)

All out 5k’s - your body is screaming for help by the end. I can do about 2.5k to 3k at decent effort but then it can’t carry on at that effort.

Strava really can suck my dick. Did my usual 5k route which it sometimes says is 3.35k, didn’t look at my phone and thought I couldn’t have gone much quicker. I get to the end and it says it’s done 3.09k and was over a minute off my PB lol.

Worked out I was about 7 seconds off my PB based on it being 3.35km.

London Marathon have finally officially cancelled for this year (there'll be an elites-only race, but on a separate contained course) and next years race moved back from April to October. Not sure it affects anyone on here, but I guess its an indication of where we're likely to be with large scale public events (including matchdays...) within the next 12 months. Probably just small-scale locally-organised races for the forseeable, where they're able to put in measures like rolling starts or waves.

On 05/08/2020 at 14:25, Xen said:

This is what I’m finding. Longer distances you get in the groove and the routine carrys you but 5ks at a fast pace are hell all the way round with no point of feeling comfortable.

Now doing 25 minutes at a decent speed quite comfortably :D 

Interesting run this morning along the canal, I ran by an elderly couple that had their 2 spaniels off the lead going in the opposite direction. The dogs decided to follow me instead of the old couple for a few minutes meaning that I had to change direction to reunite them! Felt like Rocky Balboa when all the kids started running with him lol

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Now doing 25 minutes at a decent speed quite comfortably :D 

Interesting run this morning along the canal, I ran by an elderly couple that had their 2 spaniels off the lead going in the opposite direction. The dogs decided to follow me instead of the old couple for a few minutes meaning that I had to change direction to reunite them! Felt like Rocky Balboa when all the kids started running with him lol

I had a bloody little rat jumping up me on the end of my 10k the other day. I wouldn’t have minded but the run was horrible so I very politely (not very politely) told them to put it on its lead.

Just did 5k, set out thinking I was going to smash my PB and finished stopping about 20 metres from my front door because if I took another step I was definitely vomiting. Vile. 

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

I had a bloody little rat jumping up me on the end of my 10k the other day. I wouldn’t have minded but the run was horrible so I very politely (not very politely) told them to put it on its lead.

Just did 5k, set out thinking I was going to smash my PB and finished stopping about 20 metres from my front door because if I took another step I was definitely vomiting. Vile. 

Heavy weekend? lol I normally always struggle on Mondays but behaved myself at the weekend!

1 minute ago, deejdeej said:

Heavy weekend? lol I normally always struggle on Mondays but behaved myself at the weekend!

Not really, I’ve been exercising over the weekend as well but just a combo of going out to fast and this heat and I was in a world of trouble lol

• Haha 1

Way too hot at the minute. Was doing 5k in around 33 minutes on a route around Dishley fields in loughborough a few weeks back. Even did one round the streets in just over 31. Now I'm doing the Dishley route in like 44! Don't know if its the running on grass or the heat or both, but its hard going.

17 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Way too hot at the minute. Was doing 5k in around 33 minutes on a route around Dishley fields in loughborough a few weeks back. Even did one round the streets in just over 31. Now I'm doing the Dishley route in like 44! Don't know if its the running on grass or the heat or both, but its hard going.

Yep, this is grim weather for exercising in.

My 5km PB is 17:20 at Braunstone park run. 10km 35:40!

Despite the extra 3km and pain, id take running 10km’s as oppose to 5km any day of the week. 

Edited by turkish14

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Managed my quickest ever 5k time on Thursday = 28m 11s

Been steady progress on the treadmill over the past week or two:

37.59 (lots of walking in this one)

Probably hit my peak now but I'll plough on regardless.

28:11 is a good time 👌

do you try and beat your best time from the previous week, every week?

when I’m training hard, I have a tester every 4 weeks. As the periods in between is when the work is done. 

Also do you take mini recovery periods, as that’s when the adaptations and improvements Happen, important to factor these in too.

Edited by turkish14

On 11/08/2020 at 17:03, Facecloth said:

Grass is better for joints, but harder to run on. The heat will loose you time too.

also depends on what your training has been like in the interim? 

if it’s reduced, then your endurance (Aerobic) energy System wouldn’t have taken too much of a hit. If your doing no faster paced work (intervals/tempo et cetera) you’ll loose Speed pretty quickly.

You can do it for 5km though! Just doing the right kind of sessions, to complement that distance and pace. But make no mistake there tough.

On 25/07/2020 at 18:38, Raj said:

3 x 20 minute runs this week without much soreness so will try a 30min+ tomorrow  morning. 

Feel like I've had my fair share of injuries  so heres to getting back Into it without anymore bad luck!!!

Try and get someone to record you running slowly. Look for “heel striking” as for many runners that’s the most common cause of most injuries. 

slow pace down, if not already done so. Maybe aim for 25 rather than 30.

On 11/08/2020 at 17:03, Facecloth said:

Did the Dishley route last night and knocked 10 minutes off. Just shows how much I was struggling in the heat.

• Like 1