Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

On 01/07/2020 at 13:00, LcFc_Smiv said:

Really struggling at the moment, the love for it has just gone and the runs I am going on are a mental battle. Feel like my fitness has just vanished, as soon as I hit 5k it's like there's nothing left. I seem to remember someone on here posting something along the lines of 'a bad run is better than no run', that will be my motto until I'm out of this rut.

Do you tend to run alone, or with a friend / group?

I find that it is much easier to run with a friend or a group of similar ability - there is the extra motivation to keep going.  May be worth contacting your local running club (they will have groups of all abilities), and usually have associates social running groups too.

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Have you repeated your run bud?

Not a chance at that distance, was joking because Leicester were shit.

The day after I did my insanity work out and yesterday I did 5k so my legs are completely shot so a day off today.

• Like 1

Really went off it for a good few weeks. About 3 weeks ago was talking to a mate. We're both missing the gym, I've put a little on, but he's been furloughed since march and out a shitload on, so we're committing to 2 midweek 5ks a week plus whatever at the weekend. Starting to enjoying again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Do you tend to run alone, or with a friend / group?

I find that it is much easier to run with a friend or a group of similar ability - there is the extra motivation to keep going.  May be worth contacting your local running club (they will have groups of all abilities), and usually have associates social running groups too.

I run by myself at the moment, I'm hoping with the return to work I'll be able to start going with some of my colleagues again. I have looked at the running club options and something I'm considering more. I've realised one of my issues was just pacing myself, I was flying out the blocks and burning a lot of energy off in the first part of my run, when the climb back home is pretty gruelling regardless of the route I take.

On 16/07/2020 at 08:55, deejdeej said:

Starting to get a bit bored of my route though, I live on the border of South wigston and Glen Parva, does anyone recommend any decent routes nearby?

Head down towards Countesthorpe, turn right onto Hospital Lane and back through Blaby or if you want to run more, go further into Countesthorpe, right along Station Road and back up via Winchester Rd.

• Thanks 1

Got up nice and early today at 6am for a run, in week 5 now of the couch to 5k and finding it much easier.

Starting to get a bit bored of my route though, I live on the border of South wigston and Glen Parva, does anyone recommend any decent routes nearby?

There's an app called mapometer. You can put your location in and a distance and it'll show you a bunch of routes pretty local to where you live.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapometer.mapometer_app

Edited by Facecloth
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I run by myself at the moment, I'm hoping with the return to work I'll be able to start going with some of my colleagues again. I have looked at the running club options and something I'm considering more. I've realised one of my issues was just pacing myself, I was flying out the blocks and burning a lot of energy off in the first part of my run, when the climb back home is pretty gruelling regardless of the route I take.

I have the same issues - running with a pertinent or group really helps for that.

Running clubs are very friendly. I am not particularly quick and was worried about joining, but was one of the best things I have done. You will do proper ‘training’ too that really improves fitness.

• Like 1

Got up nice and early today at 6am for a run, in week 5 now of the couch to 5k and finding it much easier.

I really enjoy running along the canal around there. Now town is riddled I have to run the opposite direction from Wigston which is also great but mind your footing. I stacked it twice on my first run that way, first time tripped on a tree root and the second time I don’t really know what happened but I ended up basically balancing on the reeds on top of the canal water lol 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I really enjoy running along the canal around there. Now town is riddled I have to run the opposite direction from Wigston which is also great but mind your footing. I stacked it twice on my first run that way, first time tripped on a tree root and the second time I don’t really know what happened but I ended up basically balancing on the reeds on top of the canal water lol 

Yeah my usual route is past the manor pub along the guthlaxton trail and back along the canal. I enjoy the canal bit but it can be a pain sometimes having to stop for people dog walking etc. Oh and I've also slipped there a few times after heavy rainfall! Thankfully not into the water lol

Just now, deejdeej said:

Yeah my usual route is past the manor pub along the guthlaxton trail and back along the canal. I enjoy the canal bit but it can be a pain sometimes having to stop for people dog walking etc. Oh and I've also slipped there a few times after heavy rainfall! Thankfully not into the water lol

I’m the arsehole that just keeps running and expects others to move lol

Strava gets more bizarre by the day. Was out on my lunch after a properly shit few hours at work and plodded round thinking about it all and not checking my time. I ran what I thought was a slow time and probably added maybe an extra few metres....

Get home, look at my phone and I’ve just beat my PB and ran .2 of a mile further than usual. Very random.

11 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Did a plodding 5k on the gym treadmill today yet Strava says I did 0.6k in 1m19s.

Does Strava not work with treadmills?

I imagine it works by some sort of GPS so if you're running on the spot on a treadmill it ain't gonna think you've gone very far :D

I did 5km on the treadmill today too and it's best if you enter your treadmill runs (distance & time) manually on Strava if you want to keep track of them :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I imagine it works by some sort of GPS so if you're running on the spot on a treadmill it ain't gonna think you've gone very far :D

I did 5km on the treadmill today too and it's best if you enter your treadmill runs (distance & time) manually on Strava if you want to keep track of them :thumbup:

Didn't know you could do that, will investigate.

15 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Didn't know you could do that, will investigate.

Just click the + button top right of the home screen and select 'add manual entry' mate

Enter the details of your run then press 'create' at the bottom and job done :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 x 20 minute runs this week without much soreness so will try a 30min+ tomorrow  morning. 

Feel like I've had my fair share of injuries  so heres to getting back Into it without anymore bad luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Went for 3 runs last week, including my first (socially distanced) run with someone else as my dad came over for me to pace him for LRRL's 'Monster Mile' virtual run. Felt good to get a bit of consistency back after 2 weeks completely off, but still not quite got back into the groove of it just yet.

I also let myself be talked into signing up for a marathon in December by a mate who I was supposed to be running Manchester with this year. Its only a small one with a couple hundred runners so there's a decent chance it'll go ahead, and it was cheap enough that if it doesn't then I'm not too fussed. Its round Oulton Park circuit up in Cheshire, and I didn't realise when I signed up but its 10(!!) laps - gonna be a very boring race lol. 18-week training plan started yesterday, 5 weeks of 'base building' back up to ~30mpw and then going back into the plan I was using for Manchester which worked really well. Nice to have something to work towards again, rather than running just for the sake of it.

Kinda sacked off my sub-20 5k goal, but my time had come down a lot just by doing the higher volume for my last marathon plan, so in theory I should be able to knock off that last minute just by doing the same mileage again at a slightly faster pace. Couple weeks of rest after the marathon then a Christmas Day 5k TT could be a fun little present to myself lol 

Got RingFit for the switch as well, so that's my 'cross-training' sorted on my non-running days. Gave it a quick go for the first time this morning before work and its a lot more of a workout than I expected :sweating:

• Like 2

I know I’m in the minority here but it’s great to be back on the treadmill. No calf, knee or Achilles issues now, no wind, no cars trying to run me over, no hills. Perfect :thumbup:

Did 5km in 26 mins today and determined to get under 25 mins by new year. I know that’s slow compared to some on here but I’ll be well chuffed if I can do that.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

I know I’m in the minority here but it’s great to be back on the treadmill. No calf, knee or Achilles issues now, no wind, no cars trying to run me over, no hills. Perfect :thumbup:

Did 5km in 26 mins today and determined to get under 25 mins by new year. I know that’s slow compared to some on here but I’ll be well chuffed if I can do that.

On a treadmill do you stick at the same speed or alternate it? How do you decide what speed you’re going to go with and what makes you adjust it? And what incline do you use?