Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

22 hours ago, Xen said:

I've never gone for standards (club or county) before so I'm not sure how much it's changed, but apparently they relaxed it a little (maybe that was just taking out the 20/mara tho). For me, I'm in the men's open category so I'll need 19:46 for Silver - my last TT was 20:51 which is in the middle of Bronze I think, although I know I'm closer to 20 flat now. Whether I can knock off the extra or not, I don't know.

Actually getting Silver is going to be a stretch though - seems like it's much harder to hit the standards at the higher distances. I need to take about a minute per mile off my last HM run for instance to get a 1:31 for Silver. Admittedly thats a pretty soft PB, but I'm not sure I can knock off quite so much.

I've sneaked a silver mile time, but that's it so far.

This is why I love being old!! I’m in the 40-44 category and only need a 7:44 mile for my bronze which I know I can do easy. I’m actually quite enjoying not chasing times at the moment but equally annoyed that I won’t get anywhere near my targets for this year. 

20 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

This is why I love being old!! I’m in the 40-44 category and only need a 7:44 mile for my bronze which I know I can do easy. I’m actually quite enjoying not chasing times at the moment but equally annoyed that I won’t get anywhere near my targets for this year. 

Is there a site with these standards on?

I'm 35 and just running till the gyms open again. But I think knowing these would help motive me more towards staying with running as well when they do.

My pb's are currently

10k - 48.45

5k - 22.52

Mile - 6.52

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slymunn said:

I'm 35 and just running till the gyms open again. But I think knowing these would help motive me more towards staying with running as well when they do.

My pb's are currently

10k - 48.45

5k - 22.52

Mile - 6.52

Excellent work.

Times I can only dream of and will never come close to.

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Excellent work.

Times I can only dream of and will never come close to.

Thank you :) they are around a bronze at my age range though! Haha

Its strange as I've never really just gone running before lockdown but had decent fitness from football and the gym. But ended up with pretty good times as you say and keep slowly chipping seconds off as I'm getting more into it.

Overall I don't think its someone's speed again anyone else's but improving yourself which is the best thing..plus the enjoyment of doing so. Seen recently you have brought your own times down which are great achievements on a personal level :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slymunn said:

Is there a site with these standards on?

My pb's are currently

10k - 48.45

5k - 22.52

Mile - 6.52

The standard times are go for are set by my club. If you want to have a look at county standards, this will give you an idea.

I have to admit that went it comes to county and club standards, I’m glad female!

https://lran.org.uk/county-standards

• Like 1

I'm a bog standard runner, I started the couch to 5k a couple of months ago but had to stop on week 3 cause I damaged my achilles. Started off again on Monday and just finished one. 

My inspiration today was I told myself I wasn't allowed a beer until I went for a run, did my fastest time yet lol

• Like 4

Possibly hardest run I have ever done this morning, timed 8.3km with 150m elevation as part of a virtual relay race around Barnsley. My colleague ran the same leg as me over a different route yesterday so my aim was to beat her time, missed out by 5 seconds. Pleased with how I ran but gutted that somewhere in my pain and suffering i didn't have it in me to push for that extra 5 seconds lol

• Like 3

Got my fastest times running on Saturday (actual non stop running rather than the previous and in some ways more successful run/walk/repeat thing).

5k was 29:43 (overall third best of all time)

10k was 1.01:43

Went into town along Great Central Way before heading back south on the same route, not been along there before.

Hit the wall (if that's the right phrase) at 7k but somehow dragged myself (albeit much slower) home.

Mentally it's a great feeling when you don't give up, I was shattered though.

It's a constant work in progress.

Planning on a 25k round trip to Watermead Park on Sunday ... on the bike this time, also along the GCW. 

Never been there before. People say it's a decent place.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sly said:

I’ve really lacked the motivation this week, after being ill last week.

It’s the first time this year I’ve felt this. I now feel bad that I haven’t been! 

Don't worry about this.

It's sometimes just the body's way of saying it needs a rest to recover.

Think positively that if you DID run you might have injured yourself,do you've saved yourself that pain!!!

You'll should feel really up for it after a week off so then you just calm that down as you feel you need to do extra work cos of the time you've missed.

We ain't top athletes or getting paid to train,just enjoy it and the benefits it all brings. A week off is okay

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Got my fastest times running on Saturday (actual non stop running rather than the previous and in some ways more successful run/walk/repeat thing).

Went into town along Great Central Way before heading back south on the same route, not been along there before.

Hit the wall (if that's the right phrase) at 7k but somehow dragged myself (albeit much slower) home.

Planning on a 25k round trip to Watermead Park on Sunday ... on the bike this time, also along the GCW. 

Lovely to run around too…. It’s dead flat and very pleasant….

You can just squeeze a 10km route out of various lakes and pathways…. You can also extend by heading out along the canal… enjoy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sly said:

I’ve really lacked the motivation this week, after being ill last week.

It’s the first time this year I’ve felt this. I now feel bad that I haven’t been! 

Oh - it happens don’t beat yourself up!

ive been doing 1 or 2 runs for about 3 or 4 weeks now as I’ve been doing long walks with my wife instead…

I do feel it in my shoulders though!

Did my longest run today of 9 miles. Thought I would take it nice and easy but didn’t look at my pace until the 4th mile, 30 seconds a mile quicker than I wanted so I ended up doing a PB 10k and then really paying for it.

I kept going though as I promised myself I would run to the KP which was great until I ran past my turnstile, got right round the stadium and then had to bloody run back because it’s fenced off! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Dave said:

We really do have some gorgeous countryside in Leicestershire.

Since lockdown I've been out walking/running/cycling and I couldn't agree more. Found places I'd never seen before.

Ended up biking to Abbey Park today, and going around it. Hadn't been there for years. Very pleasant evening views.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2020 at 03:34, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I work at Meridian Business Park (well before lockdown, not at home) and when I went on lunch runs, routes were fairly limited. I discovered Great Central Way and it's a lovely stretch, very nice to run down. I usually joined around Evesham Road then went down to Soar Valley Way and back past Fosse Park.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Did a social run of 10 miles today.  Longest run for about 18 months. Mixture of roads and off road - lovely.  We really do have some gorgeous countryside in Leicestershire.

I think outside of the city there is plenty of lovely countryside. Where I live in Hinckley I am lucky to be out in the lanes/country within 1km. Lovely routes around Stoke Golding/Market Bosworth area. Managed to get some cycle rides in that explore further up there (Osbaston, Newton Burgoland etc.).

A friend at work does a lot of long cycles and he goes around Leicestershire a lot, lives around the Ibstock area. He certainly enjoys Beacon Hill too for an elevation challenge.

12 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Did a social run of 10 miles today.  Longest run for about 18 months. Mixture of roads and off road - lovely.  We really do have some gorgeous countryside in Leicestershire.

We really do - would happily share some of my routes around Bushby if anyone is interested…  some lovely countryside on my doorstep…

• Like 1

Just now, waddadamadda said:

On the list of stupid things I have done, I think this may be the winner. One mile every hour - sounds simple right? Except it’s for 24 hours. If you live in or around Burbage, keep an eye out for 2 people who should really have thought about this a bit more 😂

https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events/virtual-p24-the-longest-day

Sounds good, well good may be too strong of a term, maybe interesting might have been a better term. I'll look at joining later if it's not too late! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

On the list of stupid things I have done, I think this may be the winner. One mile every hour - sounds simple right? Except it’s for 24 hours. If you live in or around Burbage, keep an eye out for 2 people who should really have thought about this a bit more 😂

https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events/virtual-p24-the-longest-day

Saw an Aussie guy do this on YouTube (I think he’s an actual indie film maker to be fair to him). It was really interesting, it’ll be a good challenge! 

Ran 11 miles earlier and again felt pretty good other than knee pain after about 9 miles, anyone else get this?

Deliberately held back and slowed myself down today after last weeks long run and felt like I could have carried on for longer.  Although tonight my groin feels tight and I’ve been thinking I might have a small hernia for a while so hopefully this isn’t an escalation of that. 

• Like 1