Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

16 hours ago, deejdeej said:

I've always loved hot weather but it's so much better running now the temperatures have dropped. Dropping into the 28 minute category now for 5km, slow progress but I'm getting there :D

Similar here. Bashed out a 50:40 10k on Friday night. Getting two thirds out and being cool is a godsend 

• Like 3

Just back from a 15mile loop up to Kegworth and back. Nice to explore a bit further afield than I normally would - will probably make that my standard long run loop for the rest of my marathon training. Speaking of which, it was only s'posed to be 10 miles today, but felt good and wanted to add a bit extra on for the #RunTheWorld total to help keep Birstall in 3rd ;) 

Glanced at my watch as I was coming into Hathern just as it ticked over to 10 miles in 1:22. Just 12 months ago I set a 10mile PB with a hard effort at JF10, and now its a comfortable pace over a long run (with another 50% to go!). I knew I'd had a good year running-wise, but that really put things into perspective for me. Higher mileage over two lots of marathon training has really paid off and I'm definitely feeling - and seeing - the benefits.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Xen said:

Just back from a 15mile loop up to Kegworth and back. Nice to explore a bit further afield than I normally would - will probably make that my standard long run loop for the rest of my marathon training. Speaking of which, it was only s'posed to be 10 miles today, but felt good and wanted to add a bit extra on for the #RunTheWorld total to help keep Birstall in 3rd ;) 

Glanced at my watch as I was coming into Hathern just as it ticked over to 10 miles in 1:22. Just 12 months ago I set a 10mile PB with a hard effort at JF10, and now its a comfortable pace over a long run (with another 50% to go!). I knew I'd had a good year running-wise, but that really put things into perspective for me. Higher mileage over two lots of marathon training has really paid off and I'm definitely feeling - and seeing - the benefits.

I’m not even within touching distance of my JF10 time! Was the easiest run I’d ever had with minimal effort yet everything since has been a struggle. (And yes, I’m still holding the cancellation of the Leicester Half responsible for the downturn in my motivation!).

Had a half decent week. Cycling has overshadowed running a bit for me lately and I’ve whacked out a 100 miler and a 50 miler in the last 6 weeks on little or no training. Slowly finding the love again for things and next weekend will be the biggest test ever.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

4 hours 16 mins for 26.29 miles 

first 13 or so mainly and 8.30 ish pace and then I died second half and was doing 10/11/12 minute miles towards the end

bloody chuffed I made it though as I felt feint and like collapsing with 2/3 miles to go

Well done. You should be chuffed. A massive achievement congrats.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

first 13 or so mainly and 8.30 ish pace and then I died second half and was doing 10/11/12 minute miles towards the end

bloody chuffed I made it though as I felt feint and like collapsing with 2/3 miles to go

Very solid effort, nice one!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Well done mate

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I still for whatever reason haven't started going for longer distances. But I'm doing 5k every 2 days and making steady progress. Just got back from my first sub 27 minute 5k so pretty chuffed! 

It makes me feel tired just thinking about how some of you lot can do it below 20 minutes lol

• Like 1

On 04/10/2020 at 20:23, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Fantastic…. What an achievement…!   Have a big beer 🍺!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deejdeej said:

So I still for whatever reason haven't started going for longer distances. But I'm doing 5k every 2 days and making steady progress. Just got back from my first sub 27 minute 5k so pretty chuffed! 

It makes me feel tired just thinking about how some of you lot can do it below 20 minutes lol

If you’re doing 5km in 20mins…. If you went out at a relaxed pace you’d knock out 10km no problem at all

expanding your distances >5km comes far quicker than properly running a 5km (which you are)

• Thanks 1

Marathon training was going well, then an IT Band niggle cropped up (and a few other things since) and I've only done two 1-mile runs in the last few weeks. Not ideal, to say the least.

I think I'm dropping out of the marathon anyway, though. It's in Cheshire in December and as I don't drive it was always going to be a challenge logistically, and at this point there's no guarantee it'd go ahead anyway. Think I'm content with that choice and going to focus back onto my original goal of getting my 5k to sub20 in 2020. Also means I won't feel as guilty about missing some of the 40+mile weeks that I was supposed to be doing at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xen said:

Marathon training was going well, then an IT Band niggle cropped up (and a few other things since) and I've only done two 1-mile runs in the last few weeks. Not ideal, to say the least.

I think I'm dropping out of the marathon anyway, though. It's in Cheshire in December and as I don't drive it was always going to be a challenge logistically, and at this point there's no guarantee it'd go ahead anyway. Think I'm content with that choice and going to focus back onto my original goal of getting my 5k to sub20 in 2020. Also means I won't feel as guilty about missing some of the 40+mile weeks that I was supposed to be doing at the moment.

Sounds like you are thinking sensibly. 
Ive had no end of niggly injuries since just before and including my marathon. Going to try and have a small period off now for a mini break and see if I come back refreshed and perhaps I will re think maybe a different target going forward (poss my half marathon PB?)

mentally need a break now also

good luck @Xen 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've moved house I've got to start looking for new routes. I do think I'm going to miss my previous route that included going through a woods and a nice off road trail - all main roads and bypass now! Other than Strava's route map (I had the trial but never paid when it expired) what route mappers do people use? Or is it all about going out there and trial and error

11 hours ago, DB11 said:

Now that I've moved house I've got to start looking for new routes. I do think I'm going to miss my previous route that included going through a woods and a nice off road trail - all main roads and bypass now! Other than Strava's route map (I had the trial but never paid when it expired) what route mappers do people use? Or is it all about going out there and trial and error

How far you running? I always think it can be worth driving 15-20mins if you have some perfect routes/scenery in that range and you're doing a 10k+ run. 

14 minutes ago, Collymore said:

How far you running? I always think it can be worth driving 15-20mins if you have some perfect routes/scenery in that range and you're doing a 10k+ run. 

Although I've done a couple of 15k runs 10k is my maximum comfortable distance. Good point though

Enjoyed reading all your comments over the past few pages - looks like a lot of you are seriously good runners.

I've always enjoyed sports, but was never really able to get into running on its own. However with a paucity of sport options available to me in Sheffield at the moment, I decided to give running another go over the past couple of weeks and to my great surprise have really enjoyed it.

For the first time, I recorded my run of 3.26m yesterday (which I believe is a shade over 5k) with a moving time of 27.26.

I was hoping for some tips on how I can improve/challenge myself, without putting too much pressure on things. Is working on my 5k time a good idea, or should I look at extending the distance? I'm still very much getting used to pacing. Any other tips in general would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Enjoyed reading all your comments over the past few pages - looks like a lot of you are seriously good runners.

I've always enjoyed sports, but was never really able to get into running on its own. However with a paucity of sport options available to me in Sheffield at the moment, I decided to give running another go over the past couple of weeks and to my great surprise have really enjoyed it.

For the first time, I recorded my run of 3.26m yesterday (which I believe is a shade over 5k) with a moving time of 27.26.

I was hoping for some tips on how I can improve/challenge myself, without putting too much pressure on things. Is working on my 5k time a good idea, or should I look at extending the distance? I'm still very much getting used to pacing. Any other tips in general would be greatly appreciated!

Well done !  Nice first 5km by the way!

Genuinely it’s up to you!

if you’re doing 5km at that pace…. You’ll improve no end quickly - set a target if that gets you going!  Maybe 24 mins?

or, if you want to build up - it’s very easy to bounce up to 10km as soon as you have a few 5km under your belt…. And then pushing beyond that gets easier and easier

The thing for me at the moment is consistency…. Raising your heart rate for 20+ mins 3 x a week is going to make you healthier whatever you do - I want to get out consistently as my running mojo waned a little as I was doing a lot more walking as a result of my wife not being able to run!

• Thanks 1

On 25/10/2020 at 10:36, Izzy said:

Finally beat my aim of 5km in under 25mins and did it in 24 min 40 secs :vardy:

I know that’s still slow to some of you Mo Farahs on here but for an old cripple like me who’s pushing 50, I’m delighted with that.

It’s all in the head I reckon and now think can get my time down even further :thumbup:

On 22/09/2020 at 08:35, Wolfox said:

Top tip - run a bit faster and you’ll break the 25 min barrier

good luck 👍🏼 

Delighted you finally listened to my inspiring advice ;)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Delighted you finally listened to my inspiring advice ;)

Funny you should say that mate....

I was determined to beat my PB last week and remembered your pearls of wisdom.

I usually start at 10.5 speed on the treadmill and then increase it approx 0.5 per km, but this time I started at 11.5 and ended up smashing it.

Basically I just ran a bit faster :D

• Haha 1

Did my first mini-interval session yesterday after not really running for 3 weeks. My knee/IT band felt fine during it, but has been a bit sore today. Frustrating, hopefully it just needs easing back in and some extra strength work.

Pacing still felt manageable at least, although my endurance just isn't there at the moment. Oh well. Sub20 5k in 2020 probably wont be feasible if I have to build up my mileage gradually again rather than going straight into a training plan, but I'll still give it a go and see how I get on. Just under a minute that I need to knock off from my PB (set in May).

• Like 2