Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

All suggestions but I could be wrong: 

You mention knees - going down hills is testing on the knees, you almost have to put the breaks on. Naturally we try to do that. 

Sometimes when we see the hill we tackle it with maximum effort hence the lower time and then your 5th k is in immediate aftermath of that hill. You are recovering.

Take a look at your 8th k and see how quick that is - maybe not be evidently quick but it could have been your effort was tested. When the hill slopes down, we naturally relax and effort wanes. 

When running hills, it can be better to view it as interval running. Okay speed is a variable but you are testing your effort. Slowly but surely that capacity of effort builds - that’s how time is sustained and hills become easier. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Been resting my dodgy knees but went out in the drizzle on Wednesday. A neighbour, an ultra marathon and triathlon guy, ex military, super fit, suggested I try running slower but avoiding the walk/run/repeat thing. So I tried it. Managed 11.2k (7 miles) without stopping (1h 11m 27s). 10k was about 3 mins slower than my PB but this was more of a mental challenge than speed and I was buzzing to manage it.

It did throw up something odd which maybe you proper runners can help with.

My quickest 1K (which was the 4th of the lot) was 5.36 - bizarrely the only one below 6 mins - yet it was on the steepest climb (+12m, Whetstone towards Cosby)

On the two main downward bits, my times were much much slower. -10 (the 5th of the lot, at 6.16) and -11 (the 9th of the lot, at 6.33)

How is it possible that I could run way quicker on the steepest climb and way slower on the complete opposite? Maybe I'm being a fool for not seeing something obvious here.

Quite a common thing I think. Mentally, when running up a hill, you tend to up your effort to get up. When you get to the top, you then naturally relax again and fall into a normal/slower pace. Downhill, as mentioned above, you tend to hold back to protect your knees or you may not feel comfortable "letting go".

I always found this with myself too. However, on a race day I would find myself smashing the downhills to make up as much time as possible.

I have heard the measure of cadence to be a good indicator before (although that is more for cycling). The idea is that you keep a similar effort throughout your activity, naturally, that means slower uphill but applying the same effort, steady on the flats with the same effort, and quicker downhills again with the same effort. I don't really get too technical on my runs/cycles, I just go by what I feel comfortable with at the time. Just try different ways of running and changing pace/effort where you think you need to. And always remember, everyone has days where they feel better/worse so it is hard to make exact comparisons. The more you run, the more of an average speed/time you will get as a marker for runs.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Been resting my dodgy knees but went out in the drizzle on Wednesday. A neighbour, an ultra marathon and triathlon guy, ex military, super fit, suggested I try running slower but avoiding the walk/run/repeat thing. So I tried it. Managed 11.2k (7 miles) without stopping (1h 11m 27s). 10k was about 3 mins slower than my PB but this was more of a mental challenge than speed and I was buzzing to manage it.

It did throw up something odd which maybe you proper runners can help with.

My quickest 1K (which was the 4th of the lot) was 5.36 - bizarrely the only one below 6 mins - yet it was on the steepest climb (+12m, Whetstone towards Cosby)

On the two main downward bits, my times were much much slower. -10 (the 5th of the lot, at 6.16) and -11 (the 9th of the lot, at 6.33)

How is it possible that I could run way quicker on the steepest climb and way slower on the complete opposite? Maybe I'm being a fool for not seeing something obvious here.

It’s easier on your knees going up hill for sure

I developed a way of letting my legs unbuckle and bounce a bit more going down hill…. Takes some practice / bravery!  So consequently I’m now way quicker down hill…. Practice different techniques - it’s a little hard to describe, but allow the downward trajectory to give you momentum (physics innit) 

• Like 1

A friend has given me his Garmin Vivoactive 3 for a week as he’s looking to sell it and knows I’m interested in this sort of stuff. 

It’s quite smart but I’ve never known such a faff to get it set up. If you have Apple Music, it doesn’t sync all the music as it’s protected. I’m not really sure how you can upload individual runs on Strava either. 

Hopefully it’ll prove its worth it. Does anyone else have an exercise watch? Do you find it useful? I’m considering getting one or just getting a belt to fit my iPhone in. 

5 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

A friend has given me his Garmin Vivoactive 3 for a week as he’s looking to sell it and knows I’m interested in this sort of stuff. 

It’s quite smart but I’ve never known such a faff to get it set up. If you have Apple Music, it doesn’t sync all the music as it’s protected. I’m not really sure how you can upload individual runs on Strava either. 

Hopefully it’ll prove its worth it. Does anyone else have an exercise watch? Do you find it useful? I’m considering getting one or just getting a belt to fit my iPhone in. 

I used to have one but didn’t get on with it personally. Much preferred just to have my phone with me and get an app or two. Just found it easier to have it all on one place with my Spotify as it was a right pain to sync for some reason. 

I’m sure if you get them set up correctly they’re great gadgets though 👍

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

I've had a Garmin Forerunner 230 for about 2.5 years now and love it (though I'll probably upgrade soon). Don't remember the last run I went on without the watch, to be honest; I usually have it set up with pace alerts or even full workout/interval sessions so I don't have to think too much and remember what I'm supposed to be doing. I still take my phone in the waistband-pocket of my shorts for music and podcasts, though. I bought my partner a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music last year and he's had no problems with music, although we have spotify not Apple music.

For syncing you just need to set up the Garmin Connect app and it should automatically sync if bluetooth is on for both devices (mine requires me to actually be in the Garmin Connect app on my phone, for some reason). Then just go into Strava and set up a connection to Garmin Connect and it'll automatically pull any runs from Garmin as you upload them (usually instantly, sometimes with a slight delay).

• Thanks 1

Really cannot shake some heel pain I've had for months now. It eases after a mile of two of running, but I can still feel a niggly pain even then and also means that I struggle to walk for a day or two afterwards if I do a long run on it. From researching it I think it may be plantar fasciitis (runners heel), and the only cure seems to be endless resting which I'm not good at.

Just started to get a bit of enthusiasm and pace back after hitting consistent 7:30 minute miles on long runs and sub 7 minutes on shorts, but anything longer than a 10km may leave me doing a Derek Redmond back to my house. 

• Sad 1

Just now, David Guiza said:

Really cannot shake some heel pain I've had for months now. It eases after a mile of two of running, but I can still feel a niggly pain even then and also means that I struggle to walk for a day or two afterwards if I do a long run on it. From researching it I think it may be plantar fasciitis (runners heel), and the only cure seems to be endless resting which I'm not good at.

Just started to get a bit of enthusiasm and pace back after hitting consistent 7:30 minute miles on long runs and sub 7 minutes on shorts, but anything longer than a 10km may leave me doing a Derek Redmond back to my house. 

Same here with my Achilles :(

I’m struggling to do 1 run a week atm and it hurts all the time despite RICE treatment. 
I never had a problem on treadmills so it must be down to running on roads/paths I think.

Cant wait til the gym reopens whenever that may be.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Xen said:

Thanks for posting this! They apparently changed their rules after posting and rather than the top runners from the winning club getting a prize, they gave it to the top runner from each club, which I just managed to sneak into with a late HM run :D Prize was any pair of football boots or running shoes from their site so after a bit of back-and-forth (and a healthy dose of scepticism from me) they've just arrived and I've got a shiny new pair of £160 Nikes to try out lol 

Not a bad return from literally clicking a button then doing my normal running lol

Congratulations mate, quality return on something as easy as just clicking a button and like you said to get them for your normal running is a bonus! 

20 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

I use a Garmin forerunner 235, picked it up about two years ago and it's definitely got it's use for the money I paid. I probably haven't got the most use out of it for the information it can provide while I'm running but the data post running is useful once I've uploaded it to the connect app which then syncs to Strava.

I also use a Flipbelt for storing my phone as I run, it was given to me as a Christmas present and its pretty noninvasive, it sits around your waste and sits tight to your body and has pockets around it to keep whatever you need in. Usually I just take my phone for my music, but I've had my inhaler, an energy gel, house and car keys in there at any one time and I couldn't tell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I use a Garmin forerunner 235, picked it up about two years ago and it's definitely got it's use for the money I paid. I probably haven't got the most use out of it for the information it can provide while I'm running but the data post running is useful once I've uploaded it to the connect app which then syncs to Strava.

I also use a Flipbelt for storing my phone as I run, it was given to me as a Christmas present and its pretty noninvasive, it sits around your waste and sits tight to your body and has pockets around it to keep whatever you need in. Usually I just take my phone for my music, but I've had my inhaler, an energy gel, house and car keys in there at any one time and I couldn't tell. 

I’ve just gone from a Garmin 235 (which I will have to say has been excellent for the last couple of years) to a Garmin 735 and I will be honest I don’t even know the difference (there are a few bits different but I’m not a technical wiz etc) anyway suffice to say both are excellent watches for data etc as you say

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Thanks for posting this! They apparently changed their rules after posting and rather than the top runners from the winning club getting a prize, they gave it to the top runner from each club, which I just managed to sneak into with a late HM run :D Prize was any pair of football boots or running shoes from their site so after a bit of back-and-forth (and a healthy dose of scepticism from me) they've just arrived and I've got a shiny new pair of £160 Nikes to try out lol 

Not a bad return from literally clicking a button then doing my normal running lol

Well done Ryan 👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/06/2020 at 16:04, Fox in the North said:

I just got a Fitbit Versa 2

Being a tight wad I got quite and exceptional deal (after a bit of research)

you can buy the pebble new on eBay for about £75 - another £5-£6 for a strap and similar for a charger 

A £159 watch for £85!

start and stop runs from your watch

fully integrated with Strava

nice data - pace , ave. pace blah blah blah

very clear and easy to navigate

control your Apple Music too

full built in Alexa

really impressed 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133431955620

I have a Garmin 735XT primarily for, once this lockdown shizzle is over, duathlons as it records my transitions as well. As I’m also doing at some point Swim Serpentine, I need the option of open water swimming. Eventually I’d like to give a triathlon a whirl and again, the 735XT gives me the option to track this. 

Garmins are a brilliant piece of kit. I add my club training sessions on as workouts plus the Garmin training plans are handy.

Picking up on a point made above - running slows can actually be harder on your muscles. Run/Walk is frowned upon by some of the more ‘elite’ runners amongst us. If used correctly, the renown Jeff Galloway technique of Jeffing is an incredibly efficient way of running. My running partner is returning from 7 months out with a nasty injury so we set the run/walk ratio to 60:30 and bashed out a sub 30 5k today.  Our fastest split was 7:35 and we averaged 9:29 mm which for someone who has had to literally start from scratch after bashing out silver standard times last year, it’s pretty good going. People have run sub 3 marathons using this technique which again shows when executed correctly, it’s a brilliant way to run and reduces injury. I help at sessions with a group that is a feeder group to my club and find that W hen I run slower, I use a different technique and notice the fatigue in my muscles more so when I run at my normal pace, I pick up niggles. 

As for knees, when you run downhill, the tendency is to lean back. This will kill your knees and back. You should lean forwards and create more of a bicycle motion with your legs. Arms should be relaxed. It’s a very different technique to running uphill.

On 05/06/2020 at 09:15, Izzy said:

Same here with my Achilles :(

I’m struggling to do 1 run a week atm and it hurts all the time despite RICE treatment. 
I never had a problem on treadmills so it must be down to running on roads/paths I think.

Cant wait til the gym reopens whenever that may be.

I had the same for 6 months and after some calf strengthening and a change of footwear am running 20-25km a week pain free.

Would recommend nike epic infinity reacts or zomero's.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Thanks 1

Ended my streak by not running yesterday - finishing on 80 days in total. I only really started it accidentally so I'm happy with how it turned out, although the 100 was definitely tempting... A combination of shin splints and an eyesight issue (turns out I need glasses for work) means it feels like the sensible thing to take a rest and let those sort themselves out. If I'd been on day 95 or something I might've pushed through foolishly, but I'm content at 80.

Few days completely off until I get my glasses then lower mileage for a bit whilst I get used to them and focus on some conditioning work, before getting right back into the training plan. Probably won't run everyday this time - the main goal is that 2020 sub-20 so its full focus on that (and then the rest of the County virtual standards to follow). :) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

@Xen what will a sub 20 give you county Standards wise? I’m going to be stuck at copper again this year as I’ve got not motivation to train properly. I won’t even get my silver club standard this year as they changed the times 😭

I've never gone for standards (club or county) before so I'm not sure how much it's changed, but apparently they relaxed it a little (maybe that was just taking out the 20/mara tho). For me, I'm in the men's open category so I'll need 19:46 for Silver - my last TT was 20:51 which is in the middle of Bronze I think, although I know I'm closer to 20 flat now. Whether I can knock off the extra or not, I don't know.

Actually getting Silver is going to be a stretch though - seems like it's much harder to hit the standards at the higher distances. I need to take about a minute per mile off my last HM run for instance to get a 1:31 for Silver. Admittedly thats a pretty soft PB, but I'm not sure I can knock off quite so much.

I've sneaked a silver mile time, but that's it so far.