Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ran 11 miles earlier and again felt pretty good other than knee pain after about 9 miles, anyone else get this?

Deliberately held back and slowed myself down today after last weeks long run and felt like I could have carried on for longer.  Although tonight my groin feels tight and I’ve been thinking I might have a small hernia for a while so hopefully this isn’t an escalation of that. 

Knee pain... is it just below the knee cap? When you sit at home with your feet up are your legs straight with your knees bottomed out, say with feet on a coffee table or feet up on arm of sofa?

If you are laying or sitting like this, stop doing it!

😉🙂😁

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Knee pain... is it just below the knee cap? When you sit at home with your feet up are your legs straight with your knees bottomed out, say with feet on a coffee table or feet up on arm of sofa?

If you are laying or sitting like this, stop doing it!

😉🙂😁

I sit exactly like that mate with my feet on a foot stool in front of me so I guess that’s what it is. I tend to get it as well if I stand at gigs and football for too long.

Thanks for the tip, I mean I’ll probably ignore it and just moan like a bitch at the pain instead but thanks lol.

6 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I sit exactly like that mate with my feet on a foot stool in front of me so I guess that’s what it is. I tend to get it as well if I stand at gigs and football for too long.

Thanks for the tip, I mean I’ll probably ignore it and just moan like a bitch at the pain instead but thanks lol.

You need to sit with support under your knees or them bent slightly!

Its an absolute game changer!

🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

19k this Sunday in 1hr 50. Went off too quick meaning a 10k record but paid for it. 

Two weeks until the half - was a target from lockdown to achieve this. The goal has been for a 2 hour half but I think I’m just going to miss it. 

But I’ve gone from 6 minute K’s over 5 to 5:45/k over 19!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

19k this Sunday in 1hr 50. Went off too quick meaning a 10k record but paid for it. 

Two weeks until the half - was a target from lockdown to achieve this. The goal has been for a 2 hour half but I think I’m just going to miss it. 

That's insane, great work.

I've got lazy, need to get out again.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Well done. I did something similar a few weeks ago re going too fast and I thought I was going to pass out after about 12k, I didn’t realise how fast I had gone that day until Sunday when I deliberately tried to just run 10k but beat my time and only knocked about 20 seconds off my PB.

• Like 1

Really struggling at the moment, the love for it has just gone and the runs I am going on are a mental battle. Feel like my fitness has just vanished, as soon as I hit 5k it's like there's nothing left. I seem to remember someone on here posting something along the lines of 'a bad run is better than no run', that will be my motto until I'm out of this rut.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Really struggling at the moment, the love for it has just gone and the runs I am going on are a mental battle. Feel like my fitness has just vanished, as soon as I hit 5k it's like there's nothing left. I seem to remember someone on here posting something along the lines of 'a bad run is better than no run', that will be my motto until I'm out of this rut.

Yeah, I hear ya. When I get to about 6-7km my Achilles starts playing up and now I get a massive pain on the side of my right knee (IT band?)

Never got these issues on the treadmill so I'm desperate for the gym to open again. Also missing my weekly Pilates class like crazy. 

• Like 1

In a rut myself as well. Since I ended my streak due to a few niggles, I've not really had a clean bill of health (always something new - but minor - replacing whatever I'd had previously) and had a few sub-par runs. Annoying after having so many good runs Feb-May and setting quite a few PBs.

Still getting out a few times a week, but its a mental battle each time and I've put it off quite a bit, when most of the year I've been going out 6/7 times per week no bother - even through the storms in Feb. It'll come back eventually, but I think the lockdown is starting to take its toll even for an introvert like me. Hard to know whether its the lack of running thats affecting my mental state, or my mental state preventing me from running. Probably just a vicious cycle I've got to continue to push through...

5k virtual 'race' for the leicestershire league this weekend. I'd hoped to attempt a PB (20:51) and maybe even edge closer to sub20, but that's almost certainly out of the question after the last few weeks. I'd be happy if I keep it under 23 to be honest, if I even end up running it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

In a rut myself as well. Since I ended my streak due to a few niggles, I've not really had a clean bill of health (always something new - but minor - replacing whatever I'd had previously) and had a few sub-par runs. Annoying after having so many good runs Feb-May and setting quite a few PBs.

Still getting out a few times a week, but its a mental battle each time and I've put it off quite a bit, when most of the year I've been going out 6/7 times per week no bother - even through the storms in Feb. It'll come back eventually, but I think the lockdown is starting to take its toll even for an introvert like me. Hard to know whether its the lack of running thats affecting my mental state, or my mental state preventing me from running. Probably just a vicious cycle I've got to continue to push through...

5k virtual 'race' for the leicestershire league this weekend. I'd hoped to attempt a PB (20:51) and maybe even edge closer to sub20, but that's almost certainly out of the question after the last few weeks. I'd be happy if I keep it under 23 to be honest, if I even end up running it.

Mate I’d give my left nut to be in a rut like that. Still getting out a few times a week and posting times most of us only dream of.
It’s all relative I guess :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, I hear ya. When I get to about 6-7km my Achilles starts playing up and now I get a massive pain on the side of my right knee (IT band?)

Never got these issues on the treadmill so I'm desperate for the gym to open again. Also missing my weekly Pilates class like crazy. 

I know achilles issues usually occur after an increase in training, knees unfortunately can be from a number of things. But yes a period of time out of a normal routine such as not being on a treadmill or doing pilates probably isn't helping. I think the lack of any strength work is partly to blame for my struggles, going three months without access to any weights when it was part of a routine is probably not helping. Hopefully gyms will be given some form of reopening soon under some form of strict measures.

20 minutes ago, Xen said:

Yes going from setting PBs and running well to struggling causes a dent in confidence. I agree about lockdown, I think from a mental state side of things it really is becoming a struggle, like you said mate it is something you'll get through. Thinking about it I've been a lot less productive with my days and that's coincided with my struggles when running.

I hope it goes well for you mate, you never know, those PBs really do come at the time we least expect them, and at least getting out and running it should be seen as a success with how your feeling at the moment regardless of the time.

Did a 24 hour event nearly 2 weeks ago which has helped to shift the mindset a little bit. I realised a few weeks ago that I’m sick of chasing times and now just go out to enjoy it. Keeping my mileage sensible and having more fun strength training which is something I’ve really ignored.

2 virtuals this weekend - Lutterworth 5 (May run the actual course as it’s a good one) and the LRRL 5k. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Did my second ever fastest 5k (29.07) today.

My left knee really struggles with outdoor running, it never gave me any aggro on treadmills, which I appreciate are softer and easier.

Praying for gyms to open fully soon.

Yeah outdoor running is really affecting my calves and achilles right now. Weirdly, when I'm running I don't feel it at all but the next day is completely different.

• Like 1

I’ve got to get back to fully enjoying runs again at the moment as I also seem to be stuck in a rut. 

I think mainly it’s not running with others as I do miss the chit chat social side of things (and taking your mind off a long run etc) and just struggling to push myself. 

plus also with childcare issues and summer holidays I think I will have to put up with more treadmill small runs for a while yet. Oh well any run is better than no run I guess

• Like 1

Got up nice and early today at 6am for a run, in week 5 now of the couch to 5k and finding it much easier.

Starting to get a bit bored of my route though, I live on the border of South wigston and Glen Parva, does anyone recommend any decent routes nearby?

• Like 1

Does Strava screw people over or is it just me? Seems like every time I go out I have to go further to cover the same distance and today my slowest mile was the one with the only downhill section lol 

Am I just getting worse or is this a thing? I use my phone in my pocket and my other half has an Apple Watch which I’m convinced measures distance differently.

19 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Does Strava screw people over or is it just me? Seems like every time I go out I have to go further to cover the same distance and today my slowest mile was the one with the only downhill section lol 

Am I just getting worse or is this a thing? I use my phone in my pocket and my other half has an Apple Watch which I’m convinced measures distance differently.

I did 5.02km on my Fitbit - drooped through the Strava and it measured 4.97km - really annoying - just take my Fitbit figures please 

completely ignored one run too!

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I did 5.02km on my Fitbit - drooped through the Strava and it measured 4.97km - really annoying - just take my Fitbit figures please 

completely ignored one run too!

That sounds about right to be honest, I’m having to run further each time for my 5k lol I kept thinking it was because I’d cut a corner and now I’m running the long way around corners and I’m still having to add more on each time.

Edited by Costock_Fox

4 hours ago, Raj said:

Did this innocuous injury playing with the lad about 2 months ago and was agony at times.

Just off for my first run since doing it....pray itll be okay....

IMG_20200519_120501_HDR.jpg

Ooya fighter!!! Good luck with the run!