Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

5 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Anyone doing the Leicester Marathon Run The World virtual race (Sept 1-30 2020). 

it was only £15 (or similar) to enter and you get the usual medal and T-shirt for a couple of quid more at the end (if that sort of stuff floats your boat) 

How far do you have to run 🤔?

I was almost run over on my run earlier. 3 oncoming cars which all decided that they'd try and squeeze between the tractor on the left of the road and me on the right with no space to move off the road. They clearly saw me as I was in bright orange, but didn't even slow down while the tractor passed. ****. Not impressed at all :mad:

11 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Anyone doing the Leicester Marathon Run The World virtual race (Sept 1-30 2020). 

it was only £15 (or similar) to enter and you get the usual medal and T-shirt for a couple of quid more at the end (if that sort of stuff floats your boat) 

Yep! Our club has got quite a few of us entered already so we should have a team for that also. We did a similar thing just within the club back in June and it went really well, so it'll be nice to get involved on a county-wide level. Didn't get the tshirt (I've got loads I don't wear as it is) but I put a few quid in for LOROS instead.

Just picking up the marathon training now (entered a small December race... Optimistically) and the start of September is just as I'll be kicking off the even higher mileage, so it works out quite well. On that note, today's 10 brings me up to my first 30mile week in a long while; it's nice to be back in the swing of things.

I'm really bad at any of the strength and conditioning work alongside running - I've done the MYRTL routine regularly a few times but never stuck with it long term - but we just picked up RingFit for the switch and it's great. Not quite the same, of course, but a bit more fun and varied than a generic strength routine so I'm looking forward to seeing if it helps my running in general :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Whatever you can :) it lasts the whole month and all miles you run get recorded straight from strava/garmin for a cumulative round-the-world total, I believe with a live-track of where 'we' are on the route.

Pace/time is irrelevant, so it's just about the distance. Decent way to support the local race and charity and still at least have some sort of experience to show for it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

As @Xen says, it’s a collective distance effort

just on an aside I didn’t donate anything to LOROS on this occasion as I’ve just given a reasonable donation as my friend died of MND a short while ago and family wanted donations to LOROS then which I did 

• Like 1

Wasn't sure if there was a running thread but I found this. Has anyone else had issues with plantar fascitis and running? I've become addicted to running while losing my weight but I think running as such a heavy bloke has finally caught up to me. I've been running for just over a year and lost 10 stone. I went for a 15km last week and ever since then my heel is absolute agony whenever I wake up or until I stretch it out. Don't want to go to the dr's at the mo but from my research I'm pretty sure it's plantar fascitis. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as my goal for next year is running 3 marathons and I'm worried if this is a recurring thing that it might be an obstacle. Plus running is the only thing that preserves my mental health and having not been able to go for the last week I'm losing my mind! 

25 minutes ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

Wasn't sure if there was a running thread but I found this. Has anyone else had issues with plantar fascitis and running? I've become addicted to running while losing my weight but I think running as such a heavy bloke has finally caught up to me. I've been running for just over a year and lost 10 stone. I went for a 15km last week and ever since then my heel is absolute agony whenever I wake up or until I stretch it out. Don't want to go to the dr's at the mo but from my research I'm pretty sure it's plantar fascitis. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as my goal for next year is running 3 marathons and I'm worried if this is a recurring thing that it might be an obstacle. Plus running is the only thing that preserves my mental health and having not been able to go for the last week I'm losing my mind! 

Crazy weight loss mate well done.

39 minutes ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

Don’t try and self diagnose…. If you’re in pain get to the doctors…

Amazing effort on weight loss!

51 minutes ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

I thought I had this yesterday strangely enough. Last run was Monday and felt fine until Tuesday night when all of a sudden I had a really sharp pain in my heel, yesterday morning I could barely walk on it after I woke up, then throughout the day the pain completely disappeared. Had a few days off just in case but I assume it's nothing serious as it hasn't hurt today. Will know more during my run tomorrow I suppose lol

Well done on the weight loss by the way, that's insane!

13 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

I thought I had this yesterday strangely enough. Last run was Monday and felt fine until Tuesday night when all of a sudden I had a really sharp pain in my heel, yesterday morning I could barely walk on it after I woke up, then throughout the day the pain completely disappeared. Had a few days off just in case but I assume it's nothing serious as it hasn't hurt today. Will know more during my run tomorrow I suppose lol

Well done on the weight loss by the way, that's insane!

Sounds similar to what I'm dealing with!  And as a response to wolfox I'm not one to self diagnose but am also conscious of not wasting NHS time at the moment! 

From what I've read it seems like something that you can bare through the pain if you're so inclined. Fingers crossed after a while this will be a non issue 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

Fantastic effort re the weight loss buddy

as others have said, go to the drs if you need to bud. 

seperately I have just received an email today confirming the Windermere full marathon has been cancelled now (after initially being postponed from May to November re Covid19)

so I am running a full marathon around Leicestershire with a friend (who is also doing this for charity) on 4th October instead  

15 hours ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

Sounds similar to what I'm dealing with!  And as a response to wolfox I'm not one to self diagnose but am also conscious of not wasting NHS time at the moment! 

From what I've read it seems like something that you can bare through the pain if you're so inclined. Fingers crossed after a while this will be a non issue 

I know what you mean…. But there are so few people in hospitals with COVID now… I suspect (I don’t know) many areas are quite quiet because people don’t want to bother them!

if you pay your NI (even if you don’t !)- don’t think twice about going along to get it checked out… it’s all very safe and it might be helpful!

cheers

Ben

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I know what you mean…. But there are so few people in hospitals with COVID now… I suspect (I don’t know) many areas are quite quiet because people don’t want to bother them!

if you pay your NI (even if you don’t !)- don’t think twice about going along to get it checked out… it’s all very safe and it might be helpful!

cheers

Ben

I wouldn’t waste your time going to a GP. Book yourself into a sports physio. However from what you have said, it sounds like plantar fasciitis.

Some things to help.

Put the sole of your foot on a hot, hot water bottle. The heat will help stretch out the tendon.

Use a golf ball, lacrosse ball or similar and roll your foot along it.

Buy a plantar fasciitis splint. Either sleep in it, or wear it watching tv at home, or whilst working. It will help stretch it out.

Rest - you need to rest it!

On 27/08/2020 at 22:06, GeorgeTheFox said:

I had it a few months ago, I elevated and iced it and it healed after about three weeks - Recovery time was maybe a bit longer as I kept thinking it will be okay and going for short runs when it was feeling better, and during the run itself it was fine but then the pain and agony came once I got back.

On 29/08/2020 at 12:10, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Hope I never have to run outside ever again. Agony in the knees, next day struggling to walk down the stairs.

On treadmills, though, 5k each day, never a problem, madness that it's so so different.

[Saying that I'll probably do myself damage on it today!]

Odd that…. It’s the compete opposite for me…. Varied terrain seems to be easier on my legs v a consistent foot drop on treadmill 

• Like 1

Tested out a new long-run loop today, a nice run along the backroads up through Normanton-on-soar and back round through Hathern to Loughborough - pretty much 10 miles on the nose. Going to be a useful one as I'm getting into the meaty part of marathon training now with my first (of many) 6-run week. 35 miles over the last 7 days, then a 'cut-back' week of just under 30 coming up before speedwork etc starts and it'll be 40+ up until December :sweating: 

Not quite got the speed back from before my mid-summer break, but for once I've let my competitive side rest a bit and rather than going all-out in the LRRL virtual races I've been pretty content just enjoying the distance and seeing what happens. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Plodded out a 10k this afternoon to get my monthly miles up and went with the o/h. Apple Watch 6.34mile, phone 5.6 miles. Which is more accurate? It seemed slow so I’m inclined to say my phone.

Saw that on strava earlier - out of interest I plotted out your route with an online tool (I use onthegomap for any route planning, although sometimes elevation can be glitchy) and it came to around 5.5, so I'd go with that one. Not sure why the Apple watch would be out by so much though :dunno:

34 minutes ago, Xen said:

Saw that on strava earlier - out of interest I plotted out your route with an online tool (I use onthegomap for any route planning, although sometimes elevation can be glitchy) and it came to around 5.5, so I'd go with that one. Not sure why the Apple watch would be out by so much though :dunno:

Nice one, I did think it was more plausible my phone was more accurate because it’s not always that easy haha.

Well at least I’ve exposed the other half to be a fraud anyway lol 

Couch to 5k completed :D

Feeling pretty confident I can start aiming for 10K in a few months now and start doing some park runs when they get going again.

If there's any lazy buggers like me that are questioning whether to start or not, just do it! The buzz after a good run is worth it a million times over.

• Like 1