Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

• 2 weeks later...

Finally broke 20 minutes for a 5k last week, 19 minutes and 56 seconds to be exact.

I'm fairly confident that unless I were to take up a strict dietary and exercise regime that I'm not going to get particularly quicker so I can now get back to running for the sake of getting out the house, keeping fit, and being in nature and not chasing targets. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Finally broke 20 minutes for a 5k last week, 19 minutes and 56 seconds to be exact.

I'm fairly confident that unless I were to take up a strict dietary and exercise regime that I'm not going to get particularly quicker so I can now get back to running for the sake of getting out the house, keeping fit, and being in nature and not chasing targets. 

That’s the problem mate. If you go out trying to do that every time you will come to hate running.

Thats incredible to be fair though, well done.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

That’s the problem mate. If you go out trying to do that every time you will come to hate running.

Thats incredible to be fair though, well done.

I find myself hovering between running "purposes":

Going out to beat a PB over a certain distance

Trying something new (I ran a trail race in the Peaks a couple of years back)

Just going out to hit a weekly target (currently I aim for at least 40km a week over 3/4 runs depending on my time)

Sometimes I just want to hit a distance, sometimes I want to make sure I hit a certain pace consistently

Without an aim, it can feel like you are running for no reason. Essentially for me it's two things. Keeping fit (and being able to eat fairly freely without worrying about getting too big) and challenging myself.

Everyone has reasons for running (or other activities), it just has to be right for you. Constantly trying to beat PB's or hitting targets may be counter productive and burn you out, but also, having a target to aim for or a challenge is good.

4 hours ago, David Guiza said:

For some reason 5K runs have eluded me. I have trained to run quick over 2 miles (Run for beer relay in Stratford if anyone has done that one? - it's back this year in June). I have done 10K runs which are my average/go to runs. I have trained for HM's with aims to improve and have done 2 marathons. On top of that a trail/hill run.

However, 5K runs have generally been when I have had little time or motivation to go out, never an aim for a PB with proper training. I have always wanted to do a ParkRun but have not got round to it. Maybe 1 day I will challenge myself to 5K. My first aim would be 22 mins and see how far I could go down. Sub 20 is a solid effort.

• Like 1

Still not making much progress on getting my ankles to cooperate, and had another setback with a different issue last week (mystery 'injury' on my leg that came on and then disappeared a few days later for seemingly no reason). Still frustrating, although I've been able to run a little further in total by breaking it down to run-walking, couch to 5k style. Plan is to maybe get a sports massage and see if that makes a difference, then speak to a friend who is a personal trainer and see if he has any pointers that might help.

Completely sacking off the idea of Manchester Marathon in October now though. As much as I want to do it, I just wont be able to relax knowing I have to build my base up by x date and then stick to a 12-18wk training plan... it's all a bit tight on time and doesn't leave much room for naturally building up fitness again. 

Instead I think my main focus for 2021 is going to be on the 5k. I PB'd at 20:51 almost exactly a year ago, and that 20min mark has been taunting me for way too long. I've lost cardio fitness and ankle/calf strength over the last 6-9 months but my general strength has improved, so if I can build up my mileage over the summer and then bring in the workouts when my ankles are fine again, I reckon I've a pretty good shot of beating that target. Especially as I've never focussed on the 5k itself - that was only ever off the back of a longer period of marathon training with longer 'speed' work that wasn't as applicable. There's a particular race in November that I was looking at running anyway and it'd be nearly perfect for a PB attempt if everything else goes to plan...

5 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Very impressive.  I've been doing a 5K challenge each month with work since lock down, not a distance I've tried before.  Got down to 23:13 now and think sub 20 is a long way off!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

For some reason 5K runs have eluded me. I have trained to run quick over 2 miles (Run for beer relay in Stratford if anyone has done that one? - it's back this year in June). I have done 10K runs which are my average/go to runs. I have trained for HM's with aims to improve and have done 2 marathons. On top of that a trail/hill run.

However, 5K runs have generally been when I have had little time or motivation to go out, never an aim for a PB with proper training. I have always wanted to do a ParkRun but have not got round to it. Maybe 1 day I will challenge myself to 5K. My first aim would be 22 mins and see how far I could go down. Sub 20 is a solid effort.

They've always been my least favourite to be honest. I usually take a mile or two to get my breathing and stride right, and I'm terrible for warming up and cooling down so shorter runs aren't my cup of tea. However, with being in the office Monday - Friday and then having a lot of DIY etc at the weekends, I've not found as much time for regular longer runs so thought I thought I'd set myself a challenge of breaking 20 minutes instead. Managed a 20:32, 20:12, and 20:09 before I finally got there. 

I've got the Great North Run coming up in September and hope to do another Marathon in some shape or form before the end of the year too, the next timed goal of sorts is getting under 4 hours for a marathon. I'm comfortable up to 20/21 miles but on the previous two marathons I've done the last 5/6 are beyond a slog. I can run a half in 1:38ish so it should be doable you'd hope.

I'd definitely recommend ParkRun, though there are some nutters who do it in 15 minutes every week.

20 minutes ago, Guppy Assist said:

Very impressive.  I've been doing a 5K challenge each month with work since lock down, not a distance I've tried before.  Got down to 23:13 now and think sub 20 is a long way off!

My first ParkRun was around 23 something, so it's definitely doable! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

They've always been my least favourite to be honest. I usually take a mile or two to get my breathing and stride right, and I'm terrible for warming up and cooling down so shorter runs aren't my cup of tea. However, with being in the office Monday - Friday and then having a lot of DIY etc at the weekends, I've not found as much time for regular longer runs so thought I thought I'd set myself a challenge of breaking 20 minutes instead. Managed a 20:32, 20:12, and 20:09 before I finally got there. 

I've got the Great North Run coming up in September and hope to do another Marathon in some shape or form before the end of the year too, the next timed goal of sorts is getting under 4 hours for a marathon. I'm comfortable up to 20/21 miles but on the previous two marathons I've done the last 5/6 are beyond a slog. I can run a half in 1:38ish so it should be doable you'd hope.

I'd definitely recommend ParkRun, though there are some nutters who do it in 15 minutes every week.

Yes, I hear about those. Just turn up and smash the run, not fussed about running competitively!

My goal is also the sub 4 hour marathon but every time I have ran one, I get ill the week or two before (maybe natural after training hard and then tapering off) and both runs were in hot temps (20ish the first, late 20s the second one). As you say, the last bit is a slog. I hit the wall around 16 miles normally, push through that then the slog at the end. Not really training too many long distances at the moment. Me and a mate run a couple of times a week and our goal for this year is to run a half every month, amongst our normal 10K ish runs.

It's really hard to train for pace running and long running at the same time in my view. You really have to pick which it will be, either train for distance running, or train for pace runs (like 5K or shorter).

I am looking forward to heading out in the morning (torrential rain and strong winds)! I can do rain and actually enjoy it, but the wind does me.

• Like 1

There must come an age where it becomes impossible to beat your own PB.

I mean, one can't keep on getting faster and faster forever!

I wonder what that age typically is? I set my 5km PB about a year ago and despite my best efforts, I can't beat it. I'm not getting slower, but I'm definitely not getting quicker.

Maybe we all just have to accept the aging process at some stage? 

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

There must come an age where it becomes impossible to beat your own PB.

I mean, one can't keep on getting faster and faster forever!

I wonder what that age typically is? I set my 5km PB about a year ago and despite my best efforts, I can't beat it. I'm not getting slower, but I'm definitely not getting quicker.

Maybe we all just have to accept the aging process at some stage? 

There is probably some truth in that but I have heard that your peak fitness, certainly strength is in your 30s somewhere. Not sure if that is the case for running too. It all comes down to how you look after your body but if you watch professional athletes who train to get the best results out, then once you get to mid/late-30s, your peak is over.

However, for most of us amateur runners (apologies to anyone who is offended by being called an amateur!), we may have been in sub-optimal shape when late 30, but then when we get to late 40, we look after our body and train well. In which case we could hit PBs. I guess it's only realistic to think that the older you get, the more effort you will have to put in to hit PBs.

Impossible is nothing!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

There is probably some truth in that but I have heard that your peak fitness, certainly strength is in your 30s somewhere. Not sure if that is the case for running too. It all comes down to how you look after your body but if you watch professional athletes who train to get the best results out, then once you get to mid/late-30s, your peak is over.

However, for most of us amateur runners (apologies to anyone who is offended by being called an amateur!), we may have been in sub-optimal shape when late 30, but then when we get to late 40, we look after our body and train well. In which case we could hit PBs. I guess it's only realistic to think that the older you get, the more effort you will have to put in to hit PBs.

Impossible is nothing!

I thought I was past in and on the decline in my late 40's, but for some reason I was determined to beat my 5km PB this morning.

I heeded @Wolfoxadvice of "just run faster" and managed 23 mins 58 secs which was flat out for me.

Need a lie down now but glad I proved to myself that I can still improve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I thought I was past in and on the decline in my late 40's, but for some reason I was determined to beat my 5km PB this morning.

I heeded @Wolfoxadvice of "just run faster" and managed 23 mins 58 secs which was flat out for me.

Was I wrong though 😂???

• Haha 1

Just now, Wolfox said:

Was I wrong though 😂???

I just had visions of your ugly mug as the sweat was dripping off me and my heart was pumping out of my throat.

It drove me on to greatness :D

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

You don't breathe for 3km?

No you tw@t, being asthmatic it takes me that long to get my breathing settled...I'm panting for the first 15 mins like a dog in heat!!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

I just had visions of your ugly mug as the sweat was dripping off me and my heart was pumping out of my throat.

It drove me on to greatness :D

Out of context, this could be taken straight from 50 shades of Grey. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Izzy said:

I dont have any scientific watch type thing so used gmap pedometer.co.uk to calculate 2.5km from my house and run back.

So off I went to Nuffield Hospital  on Scrappie lane and back.

24.58m!!

Did Leicester 10km in about 50m so this is about right!!!

Reckon I could take 30 seconds off but not much more by end of the year!!

It's tough going actually!!! 

Might need a kip later!!!

• Like 1

After a bit of inspiration. Last long run of my training tomorrow (18.64 miles :unsure:) and I’m thinking laps of somewhere. Did 20 miles at Thornton Reservoir a few weeks back and it destroyed my soul but was great to fuel etc. Is there anywhere else like this you’d recommend to run at? 

Found my old pair of Merrell Vaporglove 3s when I was cleaning the flat last week, so decided to give them a go on a couple runs and see how I got on. They're zero-drop, 'barefoot' style shoes so very different from the cushioned Brooks Revels I normally wear or the springier Nike Pegasus Turbo2s I used to use for speedwork, so I was a little anxious that they might make my issues even worse. To my surprise though, my ankle pain seems almost non-existent and I've been able to finish my 30mins run-walk without having to struggle through the last rep. Seems like the change in drop has caused the soreness to shift to a different part of my calf which can handle it a lot better, so I've been able to go a little bit longer.

Still literal miles off of my old form, but it finally feels like a bit of progress. Hopefully I'll be back at consistently running 5k+ after a few more weeks, then I can start focussing on the more specific additional stuff.

Been quiet on Strava lately due to using the treadmills at the gym instead, however they've now set 20 minutes maximum on them so looks like I'll be back to running outdoors!

Was gonna go this morning but the wind put me off, I don't mind heavy rain but strong winds are my nightmare to run in!