Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

42 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I've looked at those before, may look again after your review! I got some of the Nike Zoom Fly ones a few months ago and they've made a huge difference, particularly after a few miles on a longer run. Would love to try the Kipchoge ones.

That’s where I started looking and then worked my way down to these as they aren’t much more than I paid for my last running trainer and heard they were fast.

Honestly, was shocked when I got back and looked at my time. I genuinely felt like I was standing still running into the wind it was that bad when I went out. God knows what time I post if I did it on a still cold day.

Edited by Costock_Fox

2 hours ago, Xen said:

Tbh I'd only looked at the ones I'd been to before, who are all still closed for the time being. Will have to look around and see what else is available then...

Yeah, it depends on who you go to. My usual physio wasn’t working, but others are.

It is hard getting back into it. I have had a foot injury for quite a while (still have to some extent) and trying to build fitness back. 
I do t like running alone at the best of times - I can’t wait for the clubs to open back up again.

Joining a local club could really help you get back into it. 

On 13/03/2021 at 11:08, Costock_Fox said:

Best of luck to those crazy bastards going out running in that this morning. That wind has just killed me.

I did a 5k Friday that was about 2 minutes slower than usual, against the wind for at least 3km and I felt absolutely shattered afterwards!

33 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

I did a 5k Friday that was about 2 minutes slower than usual, against the wind for at least 3km and I felt absolutely shattered afterwards!

Yeah, the tail wind never seems to make up for the headwind, does it?

38 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I went out yesterday morning - fcuking crap. Freezing. Literally got pushed around one corner. 

Honestly I nearly went over a hedge and had to run diagonally to run in a straight line. Wasn’t my favourite 50 minutes out I’m not going to lie.

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

And it always feels like 90% of a run is uphill. One of the many running phenomenons.

Haha indeed. I run a route which means I turn around at a half way point but I was trying to argue with someone it’s more uphill than down. Not entirely sure on the logic of that.

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Haha indeed. I run a route which means I turn around at a half way point but I was trying to argue with someone it’s more uphill than down. Not entirely sure on the logic of that.

It's a bit hard to argue that a route is more uphill than downhill when you start and finish at the same point. I have tried that many times before.

• Haha 1

I've been hit by my first "major" (to me) injury and it's really getting me down tbh.

I'm religious on my running. 20 miles a week usually and have managed roughly that without fail for three full years with no injuries. On my run 10 days ago I did something to me knee and was in agony. Instead of a few days and it heals, I tried running twice last week and each time the pain returned after threefour minutes.

It's crushed me tbh. I went to see a physio on Saturday and she reckons it's something to do with my left knee and how it moves when I run. I've been given some exercises to strengthen the muscles and told I can do a walk with short jogs in until I'm back to full fitness.

The lack of exercise is killing me and it seems to pathetic, and I don't know if it's because of being a football fan etc, but it's proper put the frighteners on me because it's my knee.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I've been hit by my first "major" (to me) injury and it's really getting me down tbh.

I'm religious on my running. 20 miles a week usually and have managed roughly that without fail for three full years with no injuries. On my run 10 days ago I did something to me knee and was in agony. Instead of a few days and it heals, I tried running twice last week and each time the pain returned after threefour minutes.

It's crushed me tbh. I went to see a physio on Saturday and she reckons it's something to do with my left knee and how it moves when I run. I've been given some exercises to strengthen the muscles and told I can do a walk with short jogs in until I'm back to full fitness.

The lack of exercise is killing me and it seems to pathetic, and I don't know if it's because of being a football fan etc, but it's proper put the frighteners on me because it's my knee.

I've had a bad left knee now for twenty years, injured it playing football and am far too big and heavy for the running I do!  But I want to keep running through it as the fitness gain feels like it outweighs the niggling aches and pains.   I swear by a Patella strap now.  Sure it is mostly in my head but might be worth looking at something similar if that helps?

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 13:57, Xen said:

Still no luck at all getting back into running. Every time that I try everything is fine for the first 15-20mins, then my achilles start to feel tight and 'burn' so I cut it short, until I try again a week later... Zero pain before I run, and it calms down minutes after I stop, so I don't think its anything too drastic like Achilles Tendinitis, but hard to know for sure. Been doing some general mobility work, stretches and even some basic weights work in the meantime and getting on the stationary bike occasionally, but actually getting the motivation to run has been next to impossible.

Think I need to try speaking to a physio over the weekend and then see someone in person as soon as thats possible again, as I'm getting nowhere trying to do things myself. Disheartening that I was doing so well last summer and now its almost 6 months since I felt 'strong' on a run.

7 months before my deferred entry to the Manchester marathon, so still loads of time left to get back into the swing of things, but obviously I'd rather that started sooner rather than later...

Where are you based? I see a really rather amazing osteo who works out of different surgery’s in Leicester plus from his hind in Scraptoft. My training load is increasing every week and he’s kept me ticking over.  Happy to share his details. 

On 12/03/2021 at 13:57, Xen said:

Still no luck at all getting back into running. Every time that I try everything is fine for the first 15-20mins, then my achilles start to feel tight and 'burn' so I cut it short, until I try again a week later... Zero pain before I run, and it calms down minutes after I stop, so I don't think its anything too drastic like Achilles Tendinitis, but hard to know for sure. Been doing some general mobility work, stretches and even some basic weights work in the meantime and getting on the stationary bike occasionally, but actually getting the motivation to run has been next to impossible.

Think I need to try speaking to a physio over the weekend and then see someone in person as soon as thats possible again, as I'm getting nowhere trying to do things myself. Disheartening that I was doing so well last summer and now its almost 6 months since I felt 'strong' on a run.

7 months before my deferred entry to the Manchester marathon, so still loads of time left to get back into the swing of things, but obviously I'd rather that started sooner rather than later...

Sounds like something you have already alluded to but have you ever tried yoga?

I’ve been doing it for about 2 months and it’s improved my flexibility no end,

especially in my heels and hamstrings to the point where I can comfortably touch my toes. It doesn’t happen over night but it’s probably no coincidence that I’m free of back pain for the 6th day in a row (could be the chiropractor) which is the longest I’ve been for 8 months.

11 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Where are you based? I see a really rather amazing osteo who works out of different surgery’s in Leicester plus from his hind in Scraptoft. My training load is increasing every week and he’s kept me ticking over.  Happy to share his details. 

I'm in Loughborough, so I'll probably end up back at the uni to see what they can do. My old physio was right by work in Nottingham city centre, but now I'm WFH thats no longer convenient so have to find someone new. If the uni doesnt work out, those details could be handy :) Will let you know

6 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sounds like something you have already alluded to but have you ever tried yoga?

I’ve been doing it for about 2 months and it’s improved my flexibility no end,

especially in my heels and hamstrings to the point where I can comfortably touch my toes. It doesn’t happen over night but it’s probably no coincidence that I’m free of back pain for the 6th day in a row (could be the chiropractor) which is the longest I’ve been for 8 months.

I've looked it up and tried it as a one-off, but never really stuck with it long enough for it to have any effect (which I know is a fault on my part). Do you have any videos or resources that youd recommend for someone with no real idea what they're doing? lol Will try to give it a go and see how I get on

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

I'm in Loughborough, so I'll probably end up back at the uni to see what they can do. My old physio was right by work in Nottingham city centre, but now I'm WFH thats no longer convenient so have to find someone new. If the uni doesnt work out, those details could be handy :) Will let you know

I've looked it up and tried it as a one-off, but never really stuck with it long enough for it to have any effect (which I know is a fault on my part). Do you have any videos or resources that youd recommend for someone with no real idea what they're doing? lol Will try to give it a go and see how I get on

If you go on YouTube and search for Yoga with Adriene, she has loads of videos. I did the 30 day breathe one initially and that will give you the basics to be able to figure out which ones will work for you.

• Thanks 1

Had a look at physios yesterday, found one close to home and booked in same day. Much better experience than the last physio I went to (not that that was bad...). Bit of an assessment, confirmation that there's nothing sinister going on, and given some exercises to do (with better form than the mismatch of things i'd been doing previously) whilst I very gradually build back up. Going back in 2 weeks time for a follow-up and more running-specific stuff, which should be interesting.

Means I won't be back to higher mileage and speedwork and all that stuff any time soon, but in the long term I should be stronger as a result, with better form and hopefully more efficiency. If everything works out I'll keep seeing the same guy longer-term and see just where I can get to with a bit more guidance. He mentioned - unprompted - potential Boston Marathon qualification as a long term goal which says to me that he's very much on the same page as where I want to be, so that fills me with confidence that its going to be a good matchup in future :) 

Been running for a about a year now :o(not all in one go) but it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. Being lucky enough to always look in decent shape despite never actually being fit probably stopped me doing it sooner. But the mental benefits have been the best thing about it, after a run my confidence and self esteem goes through the roof, even though I always dread a run before I go lol.

Anyway I've requested to join the Strava group finally @Wolfox if you could accept please mate, my name's Sam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Did day 2 this morning. How long does it take before it starts getting easier? Seriously enjoying it though. 

I was seriously unfit, was really out of breath during the first 2 weeks despite it looking so easy to do.

Was dreading running for a whole 3 minutes for a few times on week 3 and thought I had no chance, however once you get through the week that you think you can't do it seems so much easier and more enjoyable!

Make sure you run at a comfortable pace, just finish the program and then you can focus about improving your times and distances. Choose a good playlist or podcast to listen to, get an armband phone holder and some Bluetooth headphones, both pretty cheap.

Like I said I was scarily unfit when starting the C25k and a year later I'm running for over an hour, the buzz you get after a good run is worth it a hundred times over. Keep going mate it's so worth it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

I was seriously unfit, was really out of breath during the first 2 weeks despite it looking so easy to do.

Was dreading running for a whole 3 minutes for a few times on week 3 and thought I had no chance, however once you get through the week that you think you can't do it seems so much easier and more enjoyable!

Make sure you run at a comfortable pace, just finish the program and then you can focus about improving your times and distances. Choose a good playlist or podcast to listen to, get an armband phone holder and some Bluetooth headphones, both pretty cheap.

Like I said I was scarily unfit when starting the C25k and a year later I'm running for over an hour, the buzz you get after a good run is worth it a hundred times over. Keep going mate it's so worth it!

TBF after the first run I felt really good once I’d cooled down. I had to stop half way but I think that’s through trying to go to fast i was slower today but didn’t stop once, my calves hurt while doing the walks after the run though which I’m assuming is down to being fat and lack of running shoes.