Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

1 hour ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Did day 2 this morning. How long does it take before it starts getting easier? Seriously enjoying it though. 

It gets easier through repetition. As long as you enjoy it and keep at it the ease/improvement show in your times. 

I've generally run playing football or on a treadmill at the gym so had a decent starting point. The last year I had started running outdoors with them closing and I've taken nearly 4 minutes off my first 5k from last April. I keep chipping bits off my pb's without trying to as your body gets used to it.

On the C25 I imagine you will see a big change before the end of the programme :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

TBF after the first run I felt really good once I’d cooled down. I had to stop half way but I think that’s through trying to go to fast i was slower today but didn’t stop once, my calves hurt while doing the walks after the run though which I’m assuming is down to being fat and lack of running shoes. 

Not stopping is the key, it's all a stamina building program but it also trains the mind to get used to running for longer. My achilles started to feel the strain after week 2 but a good pair of running shoes soon sorts out any problems.

Keep us up to date on how you get on bud

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Not stopping is the key, it's all a stamina building program but it also trains the mind to get used to running for longer. My achilles started to feel the strain after week 2 but a good pair of running shoes soon sorts out any problems.

Keep us up to date on how you get on bud

Maybe one day I’ll be good enough to join your Strava group! 

56 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Run a new 1k and 5k Pb in the last week. Going to try for a 10k pb over the bank holiday weekend. 

Can generally only run 5k ish as its what I can fit in on lunch break so hoping my body doesn't give in on the later k's.

I find 10ks easier than 5ks because the first mile or so is always a struggle to get the breathing right.

I think you will be able to do a 10k.

Edit, just seen you run similar 5k times to me- you will absolutely piss 10k

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I find 10ks easier than 5ks because the first mile or so is always a struggle to get the breathing right.

I think you will be able to do a 10k.

Edit, just seen you run similar 5k times to me- you will absolutely piss 10k

Last year was the first time I ever did a 10k run. Struggled to keep focus from 7k onwards. 

I get an hours break at work so can get a 5k in as they are around the 22 minute mark. 

Just keep seeing my 10k pb at 48.24 and know I should be able to take a couple of minutes off it. Dont think I've run more than 6k in a run this year which is my only issue!

18 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Last year was the first time I ever did a 10k run. Struggled to keep focus from 7k onwards. 

I get an hours break at work so can get a 5k in as they are around the 22 minute mark. 

Just keep seeing my 10k pb at 48.24 and know I should be able to take a couple of minutes off it. Dont think I've run more than 6k in a run this year which is my only issue!

Like I say, you run similar 5k times to me so you will be fine to knock a few mins off your 10k PB I recon but I would say to just take it easy on the first run as you don’t want to injure yourself.

2 hours ago, deejdeej said:

I was seriously unfit, was really out of breath during the first 2 weeks despite it looking so easy to do.

Was dreading running for a whole 3 minutes for a few times on week 3 and thought I had no chance, however once you get through the week that you think you can't do it seems so much easier and more enjoyable!

Make sure you run at a comfortable pace, just finish the program and then you can focus about improving your times and distances. Choose a good playlist or podcast to listen to, get an armband phone holder and some Bluetooth headphones, both pretty cheap.

Like I said I was scarily unfit when starting the C25k and a year later I'm running for over an hour, the buzz you get after a good run is worth it a hundred times over. Keep going mate it's so worth it!

Alternatively, look for either a spibelt or a flipbelt. Game changer.

Even better, Decathlon has some cheap shorts which have a built-in elasticated waistband with 3-4 pockets (incl zip(s)), big enough to hold most phones.

• Like 1

Anyone on here ever broken their toes?

I broke two on my right foot about 2 months ago and they've still not healed properly. The Doc told me to just let nature take it's cause rather than break/re-set them as they're a bit wonky :unsure:

I tried running about a month ago but just made it worse so now feeling unfit and deflated. I'm hoping to go on the treadmill if the gym opens on April 12th and hopefully a softer surface than roads will help.

Such a pisser as I beat my 5km PB just before December lockdown and was tracking to get under 24 mins which was good for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deejdeej said:

Not stopping is the key, it's all a stamina building program but it also trains the mind to get used to running for longer.

I tried the 'not stopping' thing last summer and found I enjoyed running even less that I normally do.

I also seem to have better times when I run/walk/etc.

And I managed to accidentally do a half marathon distance earlier this year so maybe what works for others doesn't for me.

38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Anyone on here ever broken their toes?

I broke two on my right foot about 2 months ago and they've still not healed properly. The Doc told me to just let nature take it's cause rather than break/re-set them as they're a bit wonky :unsure:

I tried running about a month ago but just made it worse so now feeling unfit and deflated. I'm hoping to go on the treadmill if the gym opens on April 12th and hopefully a softer surface than roads will help.

Such a pisser as I beat my 5km PB just before December lockdown and was tracking to get under 24 mins which was good for me.

Would using a bike / exercise bike be better in the short term - trying to take pressure off the toes until they are naturally stronger?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I tried the 'not stopping' thing last summer and found I enjoyed running even less that I normally do.

I also seem to have better times when I run/walk/etc.

And I managed to accidentally do a half marathon distance earlier this year so maybe what works for others doesn't for me.

Absolutely, I was solely talking about the couch to 5k program, that's based on running for a certain amount of time and not focussing on distances. Obviously during the earlier weeks there's scheduled walking in between runs.

I've still not conjured up the energy for a half marathon, that's my aim this year :D

• Like 1

I've started running 2-3 miles with a 7kg rucksack full of sand. Dont know if this is good/bad thing but I enjoy it more than a 40-50 minute plod along!

It's really hard at first due to the balance aspect but eventually  you get used to it

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

And I managed to accidentally do a half marathon distance earlier this year 

Reminds me of that Fast Show character...

”And I was rummaging around in the attic and accidentally stumbled on the original copy of the bible. Which was nice.”

:D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

Anyone welcome as there is a whole mixture of abilities (I say this as one of the group duffers!!!)

Thanks. But I’ll leave it til I’ve finished couch to 5k at the minute it’s embarrassing I think my fastest KM is 8m 40s admittedly that’s doing 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking but I’m not ready yet. Signed up for Man Vs Fat football aswell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Finished week 1 this morning. Really enjoying it. Maybe it’s just watermead is beautiful at 6am so that helps, and there’s hardly any people about. Bought some cheap running shoes which seemed a lot easier on my feet and an arm band for my phone. 

Sounds good. The enjoyment is the main thing and comfy feet will help with that.

I bought some running shorts a while ago and they don't fit my phone in my pocket properly. No phone for me is no music so I've had to go back to older shorts. Don't look/feel as nice but I'm more comfortable with my music on zoning out :)

Looking Forward to seeing how you get on with it.

• Like 1

I went out for my first 10k for months today. Knew I should be better than my previous 10k pb on strava from my current 5k times. 

Managed to take just under 4 minutes off it which is a lot more than I thought I would! Hoping for 46 minutes and ran a 44.36 :)

Screenshot_20210402-111604_Strava.jpg

• Like 4

Second session with the physio yesterday. He's cleared me to start running again, although its going to be 1-2mi, 2-3x per week max to begin with. Bit demoralising, but needs must and all that. 

He also got me to run on the treadmill for a bit (not a proper gait analysis, just a quick assessment) and basically said that apart from my glutes not really firing properly pretty much everything about my form is as you'd expect and not likely to overload an injury or anything like that. Good news, at least, and bodes well for the longer term recovery that I don't have a bunch of other problems to sort out.

Back again in 3 weeks to assess how I'm getting on, hopefully I'll be able to start building my base mileage back up to what it used to be by the summer so I can get on that marathon training plan for Manchester...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slymunn said:

I went out for my first 10k for months today. Knew I should be better than my previous 10k pb on strava from my current 5k times. 

Managed to take just under 4 minutes off it which is a lot more than I thought I would! Hoping for 46 minutes and ran a 44.36 :)

Screenshot_20210402-111604_Strava.jpg

That's a minute per KM faster than my 5k pace lol

On 30/03/2021 at 14:22, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

TBF after the first run I felt really good once I’d cooled down. I had to stop half way but I think that’s through trying to go to fast i was slower today but didn’t stop once, my calves hurt while doing the walks after the run though which I’m assuming is down to being fat and lack of running shoes. 

Remember to stretch well afterwards, particularly your calf muscles.  
When I was recovering from injury, I found it really helpful to stretch my calf muscles mid-run- made a huge difference.

• Like 1