Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

On 24/02/2021 at 12:01, RonnieTodger said:

Got out for the first time in a couple of weeks after another back injury. Felt good to be out, but it's amazing how much fitness you lose so quickly.

Crazy isn’t it. I had two weeks off for a bad back and was dying running times I didn’t even break a sweat for 6 months ago.

Up until last year I was a fitness lord. 5 times a week gym arsehole, not in a meathead way though, usually HIIT or body pump classes. 

I've gone through phases of doing HIIT at home but never really stuck with it and now my body is starting to catch up with me. I need to watch what I eat and exercise otherwise I start putting weight on.

TBH I've always fvcking hated running. I find myself getting so bored I go home before I've actually travelled much distance. Plus I don't think my body is cut out for it - I'm over 6ft 4", and I find that I kind of just lurch along, and before long my knees and hips are screaming. 

However, I've recently bought the running willy puller gear and a new pair of trainers and I'm quite enjoying it, TBF. It helps to have moved further out of London - the runs are much easier without constantly worrying about people or cars and not feeling like I've just huffed a 20 pack of B&H Gold when I get back home.

You never know, I might even get involved in this Strava business.

• Like 2

Signed up for my first Half Marathon of the year this morning in the hope that it'll go ahead, in the form of the Great North Run with a charity place. Haven't ran a competitive race since October 2019 so it'll be getting on for two years when it comes around.

I ran it in 2015 and 2017, also for charity, and it's comfortably the best marathon/half marathon I've ran in terms of atmosphere etc. The final mile and a bit down the hill to the sea is worth the 12 miles before, though it is somewhat demoralising when you've barely started running and hear that Mo Farah has completed it already in something like 58 minutes; I'd put that down to him not having to navigate past people carrying washing machines and as 12ft woman though personally. 

• Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 10:54, David Guiza said:

Signed up for my first Half Marathon of the year this morning in the hope that it'll go ahead, in the form of the Great North Run with a charity place. Haven't ran a competitive race since October 2019 so it'll be getting on for two years when it comes around.

I ran it in 2015 and 2017, also for charity, and it's comfortably the best marathon/half marathon I've ran in terms of atmosphere etc. The final mile and a bit down the hill to the sea is worth the 12 miles before, though it is somewhat demoralising when you've barely started running and hear that Mo Farah has completed it already in something like 58 minutes; I'd put that down to him not having to navigate past people carrying washing machines and as 12ft woman though personally. 

The Great North Run is the one that goes from Newcastle to South Shields isnt it? I am discovering some great places to go out running up here.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

The Great North Run is the one that goes from Newcastle to South Shields isnt it? I am discovering some great places to go out running up here.

Yeah, the first time I did it was a bit of a nightmare logistically as we parked in Newcastle and then had to wait in a queue that stretches for about a mile to get the train back to Newcastle. Second time around we parked at the finish line and and got the special bus to the start line.

It's such a good route and the locals get so in to it from their houses etc too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Pal of mine has recommended this as a potential bike for me (6ft2, 15stone). Any of you clever cycling people got any thoughts? Ta.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eurobike-X1-27-5-Mens-Mountain-Bike-Shimano-21-Speed-Bicycle-Disc-Brakes-MTB-/113918023439?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

What type of cycling will you be doing?

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Road stuff, not mountains if that helps. But a mountain bike seems more durable. Just want to do extra fitness when injury means I can't run.

If you will mainly be on the road, but are not ready for a road bike, perhaps go for a Hybrid, rather than a mountain bike.  They are similar in style, but tend to have slimmer but larger wheels, making road cycling easier. They are also strong enough for gentle off roading (gravel paths, etc).

Dont go for one with rear suspension. You probably won’t need front suspension either. It adds quite a bit of weight to the bike, and the suspension absorbs quite a bit of your pedalling energy. If you do go for front suspension, make sure it locks out, but as I said, if it is pretty much all roads, front suspension will add lots of weight you don’t want.

• Like 1

If anyone's interested I've been doing some research on how quickly a premier League player is likely to do a 5k. Luckily the Man Utd squad got involved trying to out do each other during the first lockdown. 

McTominay got the quickest time with a time of just 16:01 mins 

It seems the going time for 5k would be 17:30 to 18:30 for your average Prem footballer.

Edited by Collymore

38 minutes ago, Collymore said:

If anyone's interested I've been doing some research on how quickly a premier League player is likely to do a 5k. Luckily the Man Utd squad got involved trying to out do each other during the first lockdown. 

It seems the going time for 5k would be 17:30 to 18:30 for your average Prem footballer.

Didn't some of the players get found out with these times because they used the moving time and not the total time? 

Like the would run 1km then stop and go for another 1km?

Really good times though. I was gutted to be get 22.06 for mine on Monday when I really wanted sub 22!

47 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Didn't some of the players get found out with these times because they used the moving time and not the total time? 

Really good times though. I was gutted to be get 22.06 for mine on Monday when I really wanted sub 22!

Ross Barkley lol https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/21/chelsea-midfielder-ross-barkley-accused-fake-5k-time-12587179/

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

There's a chap at my local Park Run who ran a 12:58 5km and the speed he set off at is incredible - Ben Robinson is his name, think there's an article about him trying to break the record (12m:51s).

I usually do about 20:40 and only once broke 20 minutes on the flattest surface imaginable, I can't imagine knocking 4+ minutes off that time!

45 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Yep, think Maguire was one of 'em. A few people I follow on Strava have done similar in the past where they get a really good time, but then if you look at the breakdown the time elapsed is about double the running time! As my Nan used to say 'you're only cheating yourself'. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Guiza said:

There's a chap at my local Park Run who ran a 12:58 5km and the speed he set off at is incredible - Ben Robinson is his name, think there's an article about him trying to break the record (12m:51s).

I usually do about 20:40 and only once broke 20 minutes on the flattest surface imaginable, I can't imagine knocking 4+ minutes off that time!

Yep, think Maguire was one of 'em. A few people I follow on Strava have done similar in the past where they get a really good time, but then if you look at the breakdown the time elapsed is about double the running time! As my Nan used to say 'you're only cheating yourself'. 

Good Times you have mate 🔥

At work its really flat and im around the 22 to 22:30 minute mark. 

Back at home I'm closer to 23 as its all hills! Can understand why we have a Castle :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slymunn said:

Yeah good point but I think McTominay is actually legit at least 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slymunn said:

After my last two run at just over 22 minutes I really wanted sub 22 for a new pb. Managed to take nearly 30 seconds of my best which I'm well happy about! 

CollageMaker_20210305_131624645.jpg

Awesome effort mate, well done. it's such a good feeling when it pays off isn't it?

20 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Awesome effort mate, well done. it's such a good feeling when it pays off isn't it?

It is yeah :) I know when I was just over 22 minutes I wasn't close to my fastest 1km so just started off quicker today to push for it.

I managed a sub 50 10k last Sunday. 49:13 - that was after a pretty deflating week of runs. Since then I’ve been really strong on my times. 

However, I’ve began to question if a recent update with Strava/GPS has fiddled with things because (myself included) people are smashing records and PBs all over the place 

• Like 2

Still no luck at all getting back into running. Every time that I try everything is fine for the first 15-20mins, then my achilles start to feel tight and 'burn' so I cut it short, until I try again a week later... Zero pain before I run, and it calms down minutes after I stop, so I don't think its anything too drastic like Achilles Tendinitis, but hard to know for sure. Been doing some general mobility work, stretches and even some basic weights work in the meantime and getting on the stationary bike occasionally, but actually getting the motivation to run has been next to impossible.

Think I need to try speaking to a physio over the weekend and then see someone in person as soon as thats possible again, as I'm getting nowhere trying to do things myself. Disheartening that I was doing so well last summer and now its almost 6 months since I felt 'strong' on a run.

7 months before my deferred entry to the Manchester marathon, so still loads of time left to get back into the swing of things, but obviously I'd rather that started sooner rather than later...

2 hours ago, Xen said:

Still no luck at all getting back into running. Every time that I try everything is fine for the first 15-20mins, then my achilles start to feel tight and 'burn' so I cut it short, until I try again a week later... Zero pain before I run, and it calms down minutes after I stop, so I don't think its anything too drastic like Achilles Tendinitis, but hard to know for sure. Been doing some general mobility work, stretches and even some basic weights work in the meantime and getting on the stationary bike occasionally, but actually getting the motivation to run has been next to impossible.

Think I need to try speaking to a physio over the weekend and then see someone in person as soon as thats possible again, as I'm getting nowhere trying to do things myself. Disheartening that I was doing so well last summer and now its almost 6 months since I felt 'strong' on a run.

7 months before my deferred entry to the Manchester marathon, so still loads of time left to get back into the swing of things, but obviously I'd rather that started sooner rather than later...

Physios are open - you should be able to see one in person now.

Some are deciding not to operate, but many are.  It is Healthcare after all.

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

Physios are open - you should be able to see one in person now.

Some are deciding not to operate, but many are.  It is Healthcare after all.

Tbh I'd only looked at the ones I'd been to before, who are all still closed for the time being. Will have to look around and see what else is available then...

57 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thought some Hoka Rocket X running shoes, expensive but bloody hell they are quick.

In the shit weather on Wednesday I went out, ran what I thought was a slow time and it was the quickest I’d ran in 6 months. 

I've looked at those before, may look again after your review! I got some of the Nike Zoom Fly ones a few months ago and they've made a huge difference, particularly after a few miles on a longer run. Would love to try the Kipchoge ones.