Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I shouldn’t laugh but I’ve just seen someone do a “run for Prince Philip” on Facebook.

**** me lol 

My cousin's a fitness trainer in South London and he's been mentioning doing something similar. As well as heavily promoting a petition for a statue.

After so long off my cardio is well and truly shot. 1 mile run yesterday at what should have been a relatively comfortable pace (perhaps a touch on the faster side) and I was puffing at the end of it. Not enjoying my running at the moment at all. Trying to keep consistent with the physio though, so hopefully I'll be able to start pushing the distance soon and getting that cardio back...

Longer term, I'm having doubts over whether or not I still want to do Manchester Marathon in October - 2 years after I first signed up for it. Tempted to focus on the HM and 5k - both with potentially significant PB gains - instead whilst I get back in the swing of things and maybe try the full in 2022 with a loftier goal...

• Like 1

Had an x-ray this morning on an injury that I've had for around a year that will just not go, so will hopefully get somewhere when the results are in on Friday.

In the meantime, I've gone back to a more plant based diet and managed 5km (20:32), 10km (43:52), and Half Marathon (1:39:40) PBs in the past week and a bit. Now determined to beat the 40 minute 10km and 20 minute 5km at some point, but we'll see!

I'm such a fair weather runner so the longer days and (slightly) warmer temperatures are my main inspirations to get out when I get back from work/weekends. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

It's all relative though, there's a chap at my local ParkRun who does the 5km in under 13 minutes which I believe makes him an alien. 

Bloody hell. The World Record for 5km is 12.35 so is he Mo Farah? :D

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Only 3 parkruns have a course record under 13 minutes, although the guy who holds those records (yes, all 3 are the same guy) has actually beaten the 5k WR with a 12:24 on one occasion. He's a cani-cross runner though, so its basically 'cheating' as he has his dog pulling him along and doing some of the work. Obviously an incredible runner in his own right, but definitely a big asterisk next to his 'records'! 

Edited by Xen

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Only 3 parkruns have a course record under 13 minutes, although the guy who holds those records (yes, all 3 are the same guy) has actually beaten the 5k WR with a 12:24 on one occasion. He's a cani-cross runner though, so its basically 'cheating' as he has his dog pulling him along and doing some of the work. Obviously an incredible runner in his own right, but definitely a big asterisk next to his 'records'! 

Assuming it'll be the same chap as his record is listed as 'assisted'. His running club is down as Bristol something or other, but my local is Leamington.

I think the 'usual' winner at ours does it in 15 odd minutes, which still seems ridiculous. My best ever mile is just under 6 minutes, and that was down a huge hill Kilworth, can't imagine doing three sub 5 minute miles without the aid of wheels and or an engine! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Going for my first run tomorrow after going back to the gym. Already feel like my pace is going to take a hit!

You might be pleasantly surprised that your pace doesn't take as big a hit as you think.

My last treadmill/gym run was in December, and I managed 24.21 for 5km (I'm old and slow compared to some on here :unsure:

Haven't ran since and recovering from two broken toes, so expected to be 30 mins plus for 5km on Monday back at the gym. With nearly 4 months off, I thought it would maybe take another 4 months to get back to my previous times.

Managed 26.51 on Monday, 26.12 yesterday and 26.08 today, so hopefully it won't take as long as I suspected.

Surprised myself tbh.

• Like 3

Just now, Izzy said:

You might be pleasantly surprised that your pace doesn't take as big a hit as you think.

My last treadmill/gym run was in December, and I managed 24.21 for 5km (I'm old and slow compared to some on here :unsure:

Haven't ran since and recovering from two broken toes, so expected to be 30 mins plus for 5km on Monday back at the gym. With nearly 4 months off, I thought it would maybe take another 4 months to get back to my previous times.

Managed 26.51 on Monday, 26.12 yesterday and 26.08 today, so hopefully it won't take as long as I suspected.

Surprised myself tbh.

Thats really good going Izzy!

I'm hoping to keep up running outside and keeping the gym for weights.

I did 5k Monday and then back to the gym Tues and Weds. Aching abit now so expecting my times to drop a little till my body is used to the weights again.

• Like 1

Just now, slymunn said:

Thats really good going Izzy!

I'm hoping to keep up running outside and keeping the gym for weights.

I did 5k Monday and then back to the gym Tues and Weds. Aching abit now so expecting my times to drop a little till my body is used to the weights again.

Aching is a good thing mate :)

I did some weights after my treadmill runs and noticed I was pushing/pulling about 90% what I was in December.

Again, I hope it won't take too long to get back to pre-lockdown weights (muscle memory and all that?) but just glad to be back in the gym doing stuff tbh. It makes a massive difference to my mental health.

Best of luck fella :thumbup:

23 hours ago, Izzy said:

Surprised myself tbh.

Just went for a 5k and scraped in at about 25:15, so it's not just you that's old and slow

Managed two runs so far this week and I have no idea what's going on but everything feels like an effort. The pace isn't that bad compared to how it feels but wow is it taking it out of me the day after. Hopefully some normality resumes sooner rather than later.

Good to see runs frequently being uploaded on the club page, hopefully some nicer weather will help everyone.

56 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Managed two runs so far this week and I have no idea what's going on but everything feels like an effort. The pace isn't that bad compared to how it feels but wow is it taking it out of me the day after. Hopefully some normality resumes sooner rather than later.

Good to see runs frequently being uploaded on the club page, hopefully some nicer weather will help everyone.

It might be the sun/weather, makes it feel much more draining (even if it isn't super hot). For me, my optimum running conditions are probably cloudy and about 10 degrees. Some thrive in the heat. It is more enjoyable when it is nice out but it can be really draining. Try some water while running if you don't already and potentially use some re-hydration tablets in water.