Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

1 hour ago, Sly said:

I’ve had a couple of terrible runs this week.

First the new trainer debacle. Rookie mistake that.

Today, I was actually doing a decent pace for a big person recovering from injury. Got a kilometre down to 5:55! ........ then some random dog appeared and bit me. 

Needless to say, the subsequent 3k, was somewhat slower. 

Still, doing something, is better than nothing ..... right?!? 

You've just reminded me, I need some new sneaks. Not holding my breath for a large selection with good deals right now though.

Injuries must be a thing this week,

Went for a run last night, upping my pace to my target 5k pace to see how I went. Only managed 2k before my left calf seized up. Walked the rest of the route, still sore this morning and I'm gonna cycle to work and hope it loosens up. 

Gutted to be honest, was getting into running and I managed a week before an injury.

2 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Injuries must be a thing this week,

Went for a run last night, upping my pace to my target 5k pace to see how I went. Only managed 2k before my left calf seized up. Walked the rest of the route, still sore this morning and I'm gonna cycle to work and hope it loosens up. 

Gutted to be honest, was getting into running and I managed a week before an injury.

When I first started running outdoors a few weeks ago when lockdown started, I was getting terrible pains in my ankles, shins, calf's and knees.

I posted something on here about it and @Wolfox basically said 'man up' and that niggles are all part and parcel of running :D

Rather than stopping running until the pain went away, I tried 'running it off' and went out again the next day.

Surprisingly, I've been O.K. since and although my ankles feel sore/tight after yesterdays 8km run, I'll probably go out again in an hour and 'run it off'.

Not sure this is what the experts would recommend but it's actually working for me (and I'm old)

Strange..

• Like 3

Did 6.5 miles on Sunday, 7.2 miles on Monday and 7.5 miles on Tuesday (walking first two days, run/walk yesterday)

Blisters on the bottom of my feet, god that hurts.

Great feeling to be out in the fresh air and burning calories as well as keeping the mind positive and active.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Did 6.5 miles on Sunday, 7.2 miles on Monday and 7.5 miles on Tuesday (walking first two days, run/walk yesterday)

Blisters on the bottom of my feet, god that hurts.

Great feeling to be out in the fresh air and burning calories as well as keeping the mind positive and active.

If you've tried the vaseline thing and also 'runners loop' and still getting blisters, then it might be worth investing in some new running shoes mate.

I didn't realise that some of us are 'heel' runners' and some of us 'toe' runners (ie what part of the foot touches the ground first) and you can get get different types of trainers to suit your running style.

I bought some new ones recently off the Decathlon website and they've helped massively.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If you've tried the vaseline thing and also 'runners loop' and still getting blisters, then it might be worth investing in some new running shoes mate.

I didn't realise that some of us are 'heel' runners' and some of us 'toe' runners (ie what part of the foot touches the ground first) and you can get get different types of trainers to suit your running style.

I bought some new ones recently off the Decathlon website and they've helped massively.

I've been doing the 'runners loop' (as advised here) and it's helped my heels.

Definitely need to get proper running shoes rather than the second hand Nikes I bought off eBay a while back. (Although never had a problem with this footwear on treadmills in the past)

Regarding vaseline, do you just rub it over your entire foot before putting the sport socks on?

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I've been doing the 'runners loop' (as advised here) and it's helped my heels.

Definitely need to get proper running shoes rather than the second hand Nikes I bought off eBay a while back. (Although never had a problem with this footwear on treadmills in the past)

Regarding vaseline, do you just rub it over your entire foot before putting the sport socks on?

I had some Adidas trainers that I used on the treadmill and they were fine but when I went outside on a combination of road/path/fields, they were shite. I'm starting to think that brands like Nike and Adidas are more fashion wear tbh.

On the Decathlon website they're mainly Mizuno and Asics and then a load of brands I'd never heard of. I bought these one's below - only £50 but I'm well chuffed with them.

With the vaseline I think you just dob a load on the bits of your foot that blister (ie heel, ball) before you put your socks on. I used to do that with new football boots but haven't needed to with these new running shoes :thumbup:

MAN TRAIL RUNNING SHOES Shoes - RACE 4 TRAIL M BLACK/YELLOW EVADICT - By Sport

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

When I first started running outdoors a few weeks ago when lockdown started, I was getting terrible pains in my ankles, shins, calf's and knees.

I posted something on here about it and @Wolfox basically said 'man up' and that niggles are all part and parcel of running :D

Rather than stopping running until the pain went away, I tried 'running it off' and went out again the next day.

Surprisingly, I've been O.K. since and although my ankles feel sore/tight after yesterdays 8km run, I'll probably go out again in an hour and 'run it off'.

Not sure this is what the experts would recommend but it's actually working for me (and I'm old)

Strange..

Yeah I'm hoping to go out again tomorrow. Issue is I'm a key worker, on my feet all day and needing use of both legs so I am a bit reluctant to push it to much in case i **** something up.

• Like 2

Pushed my 5k run today up to a 6k whilst keeping at my same average speed. Hoping to build up to 10k within a month. 

Do people think its best to build up distance whilst trying to stay at the same speed? Or just ramp up the distance and see how you do?

Working from home every other week is helping me with this :)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

So as a healthy weight couch potato forty something who's never run anywhere, if I had a desire to go for a run what should I be aiming for initially? Apart from making it back home alive, obviously 😉 

Alot of people have started with the couch to 5k for building yourself up :)

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

So as a healthy weight couch potato forty something who's never run anywhere, if I had a desire to go for a run what should I be aiming for initially? Apart from making it back home alive, obviously 😉 

Go for a walk, have a jog, run from this lampost to the next, walk to the next and repeat. Get yourself used to being outside and running a bit. Start with small goals. I'm a crap runner. Some days I walk everywhere, some days I run and walk. Don't punish yourself if you struggle some days. It's not a competition with anyone else. I can barely run half a mile some days. Once I ran seven miles non stop on a treadmill. I felt great on my running bits yesterday. Today it felt like ploughing through treacle. None of it makes sense. Try and enjoy it, Deb. It's great for the mind as well as the body. Do what you can and keep us posted. We're all rooting for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve found this thread really helpful, reading other people’s experiences. When I first started out on this back in Jan / Feb,  it was purely about regaining fitness for me. 

It has really been an added bonus though, allowing me to get out of the house for some exercise, whilst lockdown has been in place. 

10 weeks ago, I’d never have dreamed that I’d be able to run for 30 minutes non stop. To be honest, the thought of it terrified me! 

It felt great yesterday to hit that goal.

What have other people done after C25k? 

I’m competitive, so I need something to drive me. Do other people set themselves goals, or are you just going for a run? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sly said:

I’ve found this thread really helpful, reading other people’s experiences. When I first started out on this back in Jan / Feb,  it was purely about regaining fitness for me. 

It has really been an added bonus though, allowing me to get out of the house for some exercise, whilst lockdown has been in place. 

10 weeks ago, I’d never have dreamed that I’d be able to run for 30 minutes non stop. To be honest, the thought of it terrified me! 

It felt great yesterday to hit that goal.

What have other people done after C25k? 

I’m competitive, so I need something to drive me. Do other people set themselves goals, or are you just going for a run? 

If you're competitive then usually I'd suggest doing a few parkruns to see where your baseline is for speed and then maybe sign up for a 10k race a month or so down the line, but obviously that's not particularly helpful right now... Perhaps run a 5k time trial by yourself, then look at a 10k/HM training plan (Hal Higdon has some good free ones on line) which will help you build up mileage for something longer, and you'll get a bit faster in the process. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slymunn said:

Pushed my 5k run today up to a 6k whilst keeping at my same average speed. Hoping to build up to 10k within a month. 

Do people think its best to build up distance whilst trying to stay at the same speed? Or just ramp up the distance and see how you do?

Working from home every other week is helping me with this :)

My dad (now has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s mix) used to be a well respected local athletics coach and he always said to me work on distance first (don’t worry about time) and then when you have achieved distance goals then work on speed (although to a degree both get better gradually usually anyway)   

hope this helps

• Like 3

I've ran 5km and 6.5km over the last few weeks, and found the longer run a bit easier. Not sure if I'm going out too fast on the 5km or of it's just because the routes a bit nicer on the longer one.

4 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

My dad always said to me work on distance first (don’t worry about time)

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I've ran 5km and 6.5km over the last few weeks, and found the longer run a bit easier. Not sure if I'm going out too fast on the 5km or of it's just because the routes a bit nicer on the longer one.

Last four days I've done:

6.5 miles (walk)

7.2 miles (walk)

7.5 miles (mix of run/walk)

8 miles (mix of run/walk)

Not been fussed at all about the times, just been keen to get out in the good weather, cover some distance, burn calories, get fresh air, keep the mind active etc

As I said before, it's not about competing with others, it's doing what works for you.

I've found this thread really helpful and supportive, some decent community spirit going on so thank you x

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Last four days I've done:

6.5 miles (walk)

7.2 miles (walk)

7.5 miles (mix of run/walk)

8 miles (mix of run/walk)

Not been fussed at all about the times, just been keen to get out in the good weather, cover some distance, burn calories, get fresh air, keep the mind active etc

As I said before, it's not about competing with others, it's doing what works for you.

I've found this thread really helpful and supportive, some decent community spirit going on so thank you x

I'm not trying beat anyone (apart from @Izzy lol), I've just found I've ran a better rhythm on the 6.5km that the shorter 5km. The 5km is all roads, while longer one goes round a lake for part of it.

This thread is good though, no judgement, no laughing at those who aren't as fast or don't run as far, just encouragement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I'm not trying beat anyone (apart from @Izzy lol), I've just found I've ran a better rhythm on the 6.5km that the shorter 5km. The 5km is all roads, while longer one goes round a lake for part of it.

This thread is good though, no judgement, no laughing at those who aren't as fast or don't run as far, just encouragement.

:mad:

You'll beat me this week for sure. I was all cocky thinking I knew it all and saying 'run it off' when injured and it's come back to bite me on the arse.

I ran 8km on Tuesday and got a pain on my right Achilles but figured I'd just 'run it off' then ran 5km yesterday and just made it worse. Woke up this morning in agony and reckon it'll be a few days until I can run again.

Lesson learnt: I'm too old to run every day. And I don't properly stretch before/after I don't think.

5-8km every other day and I should be happy with that at my age.