Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

3 hours ago, slymunn said:

With no gym I just need something to keep motivation really. I also dont run much more than a 5k at a good pace so might try building up to a 10k :)

You can build up distances quicker than you’d think…. I went for a 13km plod this morning…. Was done when I was done!  I could probably go further and at some point will do a half marathon, but, my sweet spot is between 5km & 15km…. Horses for courses really….  It’s really great to see the amount of running going on at the moment - we are up to 32 runners at the moment, not all will sustain, but, it can soon become a very good habit - it did with me!

• Like 2

I've got a personal question regarding half marathons to those who might have done one before?

Sorry, bit of context first though..

I suffer from Crohn's disease and had my large intestine (colon) removed about 15 years ago. The upshot is that the more I eat the more I need to go to the WC, so when I know I'm going out of the house for long periods of time, I tend to starve myself (hence why I'm only 9 stone!) in the fear of getting 'caught short'.

The thought of doing a half marathon would previously have scared me to death but since the start of the year I'm nearly up to 200km ran and my longest run so far is about 12km I think. I pretty much do this on an empty stomach and I'm starting to think that half marathon distance (21km?) might just be achievable one day. I reckon it would take me about 2.5 hours and I could just about hold on that long!

The rather embarrassing question is: Do they have toilet facilities set up for half marathons? (i.e. portaloos?) I'm assuming there's none on the actual course but are there some at the start/finish line? Also, where do you put all your gear (i.e. car keys) Are there lockers or do you give them to a friend who's watching?

I'm just curious because I'd quite like to do a half marathon and raise money for Crohn's & Colitis but it's a bit of a scary prospect if I'm honest.

Thanks

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I've got a personal question regarding half marathons to those who might have done one before?

I suffer from Crohn's disease and had my large intestine (colon) removed about 15 years ago. The upshot is that the more I eat the more I need to go to the WC, so when I know I'm going out of the house for long periods of time, I tend to starve myself (hence why I'm only 9 stone!) in the fear of getting 'caught short'.

The thought of doing a half marathon would previously have scared me to death but since the start of the year I'm nearly up to 200km ran and my longest run so far is about 12km I think. I pretty much do this on an empty stomach and I'm starting to think that half marathon distance (21km?) might just be achievable one day. I reckon it would take me about 2.5 hours and I could just about hold on that long!

The rather embarrassing question is: Do they have toilet facilities set up for half marathons? (i.e. portaloos?) I'm assuming there's none on the actual course but are there some at the start/finish line? Also, where do you put all your gear (i.e. car keys) Are there lockers or do you give them to a friend who's watching?

I'm just curious because I'd quite like to do a half marathon and raise money for Crohn's & Colitis but it's a bit of a scary prospect if I'm honest.

Thanks

Some half marathon routes do have facilities along the way however I’ve dived into pubs or a Costa Coffee before (this was in London). I’ve been known to hop over fences if I’m out in the countryside during a race. 

Start/Finish - yes they do have toilets 

Normally have bag drop offs to leave your stuff.  A few smaller races I’ve been to I’ve had to either leave my stuff in a village hall or in a tent. As someone once said to me, we’re runners not thieves.....

• Thanks 1

Just now, waddadamadda said:

Some half marathon routes do have facilities along the way however I’ve dived into pubs or a Costa Coffee before (this was in London). I’ve been known to hop over fences if I’m out in the countryside during a race. 

Start/Finish - yes they do have toilets 

Normally have bag drop offs to leave your stuff.  A few smaller races I’ve been to I’ve had to either leave my stuff in a village hall or in a tent. As someone once said to me, we’re runners not thieves.....

Bless you mate. Thanks for the info :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

You can build up distances quicker than you’d think…. I went for a 13km plod this morning…. Was done when I was done!  I could probably go further and at some point will do a half marathon, but, my sweet spot is between 5km & 15km…. Horses for courses really….  It’s really great to see the amount of running going on at the moment - we are up to 32 runners at the moment, not all will sustain, but, it can soon become a very good habit - it did with me!

I have a app for the gym machines which is great but the outdoor GPS bit is awful and never works. Strava looks the way for me outdoors now :)

I think its just my pacing I need to sort. My 5k run was a speed I would do at the gym but I never really did longer..need to learn to slow down so I can get more distance in!

Would like to do 10k in 50-55 minutes which I should be able to do..its just going to take abit to adjust speed etc.

Hoping that  having the group and other friends using the app I'll be able to motivate myself with that :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

32 runner now and up to 460km this week…. Our biggest weekly total - great effort!

Well done to our top 3

Marvin

Ryan

Me!!!!

just pipped Izzy by 1km!

FFS all I ask is for one moment of glory and you snatch it away from me you bastard!!! 

:mad:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

FFS all I ask is for one moment of glory and you snatch it away from me you bastard!!! 

:mad:

Ha!  I do feel awful (ish!!!)

Does it make me a bad person that I actually checked Strava and worked out how long I had to run to get into the top 3 before setting out?

4 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Does it make me a bad person that I actually checked Strava and worked out how long I had to run to get into the top 3 before setting out?

Gfycat's 'GIFs' can now keep the sound on | TechCrunch

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks

I've found if you train your body to run on a certain amount of fuel you'll adapt and be surprised how far you can go. I've learned that more through cycling but I'm sure it translates.

When I used to do half marathons I'd eat a lot the evening before and eat nothing on the morning before the race and then feast afterwards. I had friends who did the opposite and rock up after a big breakfast...

As for toilets, I think it's easier being a bloke as the queues are less. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Thanks 1

3rd 5k of the week, 2nd on Strava. Was alot warmer and I still had dinner in my belly but I don't stop running today and cut another minute off my time. Nice to break that mental barrier and make up some time too.

BUT, a question, I did exactly the same route as Friday but Strava says a ran 0.3km less. Anyone ever get this? 

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

It's exactly what I would have done lol

Especially if it meant beating @Izzy :D

Edited by Facecloth
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks

I don't suffer from any gastro type diseases but even I get caught out every now and then. Usually I manage to get back to the start (be that the office or home) but it's suffering. I once had to drop into a village pub as I was about 4K from home when I reached my limit.

In regards to toilets, there are usually a few around the course, especially half marathons where they simultaneously run a marathon event too. I think they legally have to provide toilet facilities but I may be wrong.

Nutritioning wise, a half marathon you can get away without food (I would still suggest eating a few hours before though). When I did my first one I think I used a gel and took some water on board but nothing else. Marathons are a whole different story. Not nutritioning should leave 9 out of 10 people flagging. It's important not only to get liquid on board but most importantly putting salts back in you (be that food or energy type drinks). I've always taken small amounts of food and electrolyte drinks with me when doing one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

I did the same thing on Saturday lol... Didn't add anything to my route though as I knew I had a longer run coming up today, maybe I should've if I wanted the top spot though lol

12 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

3rd 5k of the week, 2nd on Strava. Was alot warmer and I still had dinner in my belly but I don't stop running today and cut another minute off my time. Nice to break that mental barrier and make up some time too.

BUT, a question, I did exactly the same route as Friday but Strava says a ran 0.3km less. Anyone ever get this? 

Are you recording it with a watch or your phone? Could be GPS drift (phones tend to be slightly less accurate) which could happen if you ran near any tall buildings or tree cover and the signal skips a bit. Strava's algorithms can also be a bit skewy sometimes if you're recording directly in the app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

32 runner now and up to 460km this week…. Our biggest weekly total - great effort!

Well done to our top 3

Marvin

Ryan

Me!!!!

just pipped Izzy by 1km!

570B3E0E-7ACE-4004-9CA0-83545A46E155.png

Thanks. This weekend pulled me right up there. 25K yesterday in the beautiful, wet conditions. I do actually like those conditions and I thrive in them, anyone else? I think that was the longest run since my last marathon almost 2 years ago. I feel this is the best time for me to run another marathon, albeit doing my own route. So I think that can be my challenge for this lockdown period (I feel I have a fair few weeks to build myself up yet).

Legs certainly felt that run today but I still forced myself out to loosen up. Let's see what the next week brings. Keep it up everyone, fantastic effort.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

I've found if you train your body to run on a certain amount of fuel you'll adapt and be surprised how far you can go. I've learned that more through cycling but I'm sure it translates.

When I used to do half marathons I'd eat a lot the evening before and eat nothing on the morning before the race and then feast afterwards. I had friends who did the opposite and rock up after a big breakfast...

As for toilets, I think it's easier being a bloke as the queues are less. 

That would be me. Really encouraging to hear that's how you do it. Thanks mate.

29 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I don't suffer from any gastro type diseases but even I get caught out every now and then. Usually I manage to get back to the start (be that the office or home) but it's suffering. I once had to drop into a village pub as I was about 4K from home when I reached my limit.

In regards to toilets, there are usually a few around the course, especially half marathons where they simultaneously run a marathon event too. I think they legally have to provide toilet facilities but I may be wrong.

Nutritioning wise, a half marathon you can get away without food (I would still suggest eating a few hours before though). When I did my first one I think I used a gel and took some water on board but nothing else. Marathons are a whole different story. Not nutritioning should leave 9 out of 10 people flagging. It's important not only to get liquid on board but most importantly putting salts back in you (be that food or energy type drinks). I've always taken small amounts of food and electrolyte drinks with me when doing one.

Again, great to know and that's how it would be for me. Many thanks for the advice.

What a fvckin great thread this is btw :thumbup:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Well done on your runs 👍🏼

GPS will track on your phone…. It can vary a bit, but, not generally by that amount…. Probably a one off anomaly?

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Well done on your runs 👍🏼

GPS will track on your phone…. It can vary a bit, but, not generally by that amount…. Probably a one off anomaly?

Thanks bud,

It was off my phone but was playing up when I first set off so I'll put it down to that. 

Definately starting to break through the pain barrier on my legs, today's the first day they feel alot less painful and actually looking forward to going again tomorrow. 

Now I need to try and up my pace a touch and I may look at adding a few extra kilometers onto my run some days too. 

Edited by RobHawk
  • Like 1

a combo of not doing any exercise for about 6 weeks, drinking every night of lockdown and running round a hilly park instead of along the canal nearly killed me today. fair play. running is the winner. 

oh and hay fever ffs. can barely see or breathe. 

Edited by ScouseFox

Went for an off-road on road hybrid blast today…. Around 1 min per KM quicker than my normal rural rambles @ 5.40 splits…. Felt nice when I had the wind behind me…

Perfect running weather at the moment…. Not too hot, clear and sunny!

Felt a back twinge towards the end of the run, so, showered and rubbed in plenty of deep heat - will need 3-4 days recovery I think…. Lots of stretches…. Happens 2 or 3 times a year, so, I know the drill!

I’ve had a couple of terrible runs this week.

First the new trainer debacle. Rookie mistake that.

Today, I was actually doing a decent pace for a big person recovering from injury. Got a kilometre down to 5:55! ........ then some random dog appeared and bit me. 

Needless to say, the subsequent 3k, was somewhat slower. 

Still, doing something, is better than nothing ..... right?!? 

• Like 1