Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Away priority system

Is the current system fair and working?

As someone with a relatively high priority it’s not necessarily a concern for me I can get to any away game I like and should have no issue in the Champions League should we get there. 

However I’m starting to feel like it’s not far off a closed shop.

It’s very difficult for a new supporter to get on the ladder in any way. And before anyone starts not all new fans are glory hunting bandwagoners.

Loyal fans deserve priority undoubtedly but should more tickets be made available in ballots?

The present system also lends itself to people high up the chain simply buying tickets without intention of attending knowing someone will take it off their hands thus continually maintaining their high priority without even having to attend or be financially out of pocket.

I can see both sides of this.

Maybe some people who try in the members ballot regularly can shed some light into how they get on getting tickets.

From an unselfish point of view I feel like I’m getting too much credit in 2020 for games I attended in 2013-2017.

Season ticket points need a cut off, they can't go on forever. Make it 4 or 5 seasons, then after that it's a point for every away game. At the moment someone who has a ST for 6 years and has been 10 aways has more points than someone who has had a ST for 4 years but has been to every single away. If not, then drop the amount of points that there worth, to say 20 points, rather than 50.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Season ticket points need a cut off, they can't go on forever. Make it 4 or 5 seasons, then after that it's a point for every away game. At the moment someone who has a ST for 6 years and has been 10 aways has more points than someone who has had a ST for 4 years but has been to every single away. If not, then drop the amount of points that there worth, to say 20 points, rather than 50.

They have a cut off, it's 2013/14. We're not getting any points for Season Tickets prior to that (or if we are I need to complain). And it's not a full 50 points per season for all of that, according to my account I get 155 for four seasons between 2013-2017, so I think it's safe to assume it's giving fewer points for seasons earlier in this Premier League stretch.

I benefit from it but not sure I agree with getting loads of points each season for a season ticket. I’ve got a mate who has only just managed to get a season ticket but goes to more aways than me on other people’s priority. Come the European matches he will end up in the home end.

Thats his choice but it will take him about 5 years to get into the bracket I’m in but only if they cut it the season tickets off, otherwise he has no chance. 

43 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

They have a cut off, it's 2013/14. We're not getting any points for Season Tickets prior to that (or if we are I need to complain). And it's not a full 50 points per season for all of that, according to my account I get 155 for four seasons between 2013-2017, so I think it's safe to assume it's giving fewer points for seasons earlier in this Premier League stretch.

Yeah but every year it just adds more points. They need to have say the past 6 seasons, not every season since 13-14. That way those who got to aways will get the points. I always thought it was 50 points per season ticket regardless, so not sure about that.

Like Costock says, certain people who go to all the aways have no chance of getting into a higher bracket by using their own ticket.

yep, been said time and again. 

it's obviously a closed shop and it's also a vicious circle, because when you don't have the priority, you're forced to use places like this forum to beg someone who does have the priority so you can go to burnley away or somewhere rubbish. then they get the priority point without even having to go. and get further ahead of you on the ladder. 

it was mentioned in another thread maybe a month ago and most people agreed with what's been mentioned in here. season tickets massively outweighing actually going to away games is a bit silly, and the never ending priority is also a bit silly. as i mentioned in that thread, unless your mum or dad got you a season ticket when you were in school, how is anyone under the age of about 25 meant to go to one of our away games? they can't even start by going to proper shit ones and building priority for the past 4 or 5 years, because they didn't have a season ticket 7 years ago. 

it's silly but it seemingly won't ever change. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

yep, been said time and again. 

it's obviously a closed shop and it's also a vicious circle, because when you don't have the priority, you're forced to use places like this forum to beg someone who does have the priority so you can go to burnley away or somewhere rubbish. then they get the priority point without even having to go. and get further ahead of you on the ladder. 

it was mentioned in another thread maybe a month ago and most people agreed with what's been mentioned in here. season tickets massively outweighing actually going to away games is a bit silly, and the never ending priority is also a bit silly. as i mentioned in that thread, unless your mum or dad got you a season ticket when you were in school, how is anyone under the age of about 25 meant to go to one of our away games? they can't even start by going to proper shit ones and building priority for the past 4 or 5 years, because they didn't have a season ticket 7 years ago. 

it's silly but it seemingly won't ever change. 

It'll have to change eventually. Plus we might go shit again eventually so us folks with low priority points can build ours up again.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It'll have to change eventually. Plus we might go shit again eventually so us folks with low priority points can build ours up again.

i’m just about alright. i can get the tickets i deserve and i can’t complain, i go to a handful of aways a season and don’t have much trouble doing so on my priority. champions league will presumably be a struggle again, unless they release them all at once and leave people having to pick and choose. 

i just think the system is wrong, cos it is. we’re (hopefully) going to be taking the leicester to places like the san siro, barcelona, munich etc. next year, and the fact someone who has never been to an away game is going to be ahead of someone who’s been to every away game for the past 5 years, just because one has a season ticket and one doesn’t, is clearly wrong. 

• Like 1

It’s a difficult one. I got my season ticket last season. As a member, I got points for the charity shield, two years of season ticket = 160. I got six fixtures in the membership ballot in 17/18, did 17 aways in first year of season ticket (league cup included) and got Huddersfield from here. This year the points bracket has gone up which has made it harder and more of a closed shop this year. I’ve still got to the majority of aways, but missed Liverpool, Sheffield United, Villa, Watford coming up, and had to get Manchester aways from here this year. I won’t get a prayer of Bournemouth and likely Spurs, possibly Arsenal. That leaves a potential of 1 or two away days after Norwich for me this season. I accept that this is the price of success, but as someone who’s done 35-40 aways in two and a half years, it’s going to take two more seasons to surpass 300pts as it currently stands. Feels a fair way off sat on 195 currently. Luckily with shifts I can plan requests around fixtures which isn’t possible for everyone (tv schedules make this more of a challenge) and it means I’ve been able to do the Friday night games this year. Of course there maybe a point in the future where I can’t go to as many as I currently do and I’ll be glad of the higher points if I ever get there, but this season has certainly been tougher to get hold of tickets. What the answer is I don’t know!!

• Like 1

I'm on well over 400 points personally so it doesn't affect me.

However my lad has had to work his way up only having had his 1st season ticket the year we came back up to the PL.

However he is now only 2 aways off making 370 points bracket. So I don't completely buy this it can't be done.. it's just you have to go Sunderland, watford, west ham twice at that dreadful ground to stand any chance of earning points. I'm now hopeful he will manage to get his own spurs ticket for example and not rely on others to help him out.

• Like 1

Anyone without a season ticket in 14/15 or earlier doesn't have a chance as they have a 300 point defecit to make up. I understand rewarding STH loyalty but 50 points a season is absurd and is almost irrelevant - it's away points - reward away games attended, the difference is insane. I can get tickets to virtually all away games so I have no issue by my proposal would be:

- Rolling 5 year system (when you reach year 6, year 1 points drop off and so on)

- 10 additional points a year for STH

- 5 addional points for a member

If you are a STH attending every away game each season (average of 23) then you'd be on 115 + 50 loyalty (165).

STH attending 10 aways a year would be on 50+50 loyalty (100).

A new STH in year 5 who was a member before but still managed to get to 15 games a season would be on 75+30 loyalty (105).

This way you are genuinely rewarding fans who are consistently attending aways whilst also letting people who are putting graft in build points.

Something needs to change as a STH who joined last year for example but has been attending away games since the 80s and done 15 a season since the cut off in 13/14 is still behind a STH who has never attended an away game.

6 minutes ago, Yes N'Didi said:

Anyone without a season ticket in 14/15 or earlier doesn't have a chance as they have a 300 point defecit to make up. I understand rewarding STH loyalty but 50 points a season is absurd and is almost irrelevant - it's away points - reward away games attended, the difference is insane. I can get tickets to virtually all away games so I have no issue by my proposal would be:

- Rolling 5 year system (when you reach year 6, year 1 points drop off and so on)

- 10 additional points a year for STH

- 5 addional points for a member

If you are a STH attending every away game each season (average of 23) then you'd be on 115 + 50 loyalty (165).

STH attending 10 aways a year would be on 50+50 loyalty (100).

A new STH in year 5 who was a member before but still managed to get to 15 games a season would be on 75+30 loyalty (105).

This way you are genuinely rewarding fans who are consistently attending aways whilst also letting people who are putting graft in build points.

Something needs to change as a STH who joined last year for example but has been attending away games since the 80s and done 15 a season since the cut off in 13/14 is still behind a STH who has never attended an away game.

This seems fair. Rolling 5 year limit of STH so it still rewards long term but means away followers can build up points. I have one high priority and one low (when kids were little I went on my own) so often have to buy one ticket for away and hope to buy one on here if it sells out or chance a game going low priority. 

Agree with all the comments I go to more away games than a lot of my friends who are still above me in the pecking order yet because of the system I will never get ahead of them.

One thing that Brighton do for example is give more priority points for certain away games, For example should more points be given for going to Newcastle on a Tuesday night in August for the League Cup 1st Round than say a 3.00pm ko ( I know they are rare now ) at a ground a lot closer i.e. Villa. You could say the same about Southampton on a Friday night. At the moment you get 1 point for any away match.

2 hours ago, Itsthejoeker said:

I’m in the situation many find themselves in. I used to be P2 but work commitments, money and travel prevented from keeping going to away games then before you know it you’ve slipped down the ladder and can’t get tickets for love nor money. 

I don't think this is the case. Lots of games make it down the ladder, most too members bar the obvious ones. 

7 hours ago, Bayfox said:

I'm on well over 400 points personally so it doesn't affect me.

However my lad has had to work his way up only having had his 1st season ticket the year we came back up to the PL.

However he is now only 2 aways off making 370 points bracket. So I don't completely buy this it can't be done.. it's just you have to go Sunderland, watford, west ham twice at that dreadful ground to stand any chance of earning points. I'm now hopeful he will manage to get his own spurs ticket for example and not rely on others to help him out.

that’s still 6 years of having a season ticket before he gets a shot at a decent game. that’s a bloody long time. and if you got a ST a year or two later that’s another 5 seasons of aways (if you go to 10 a year, unlikely with no priority) to catch up on one season ticket. 

like i said, STH should be rewarded, but the fact that one season ticket equates to FIFTY away matches is a bit silly to me. massively outweighed in favour of the STH. 

• Like 1

I've used other people's refs even for games I have enough points for, being a couple of blocks over from your mates for the sake of a priority point isn't really worth it in my opinion. You can pick up priority points in games like Southampton on a Friday or Newcastle in the league cup but the system isn't really working if just to make up some ground you have to do all of the difficult places to get to.

I'm on 309 points (IIRC) but I've probably done 15 away games over the past 2 seasons on other people's references to make sure I actually get a ticket and to be with mates, obviously that's the trade off but the system is stacked against people that want to build up their points. It's easy to say 'well undesirable away game X didn't sell out, you could have gotten a ticket to that' but even if there's 10 of those a season you're treading water 

On 23/02/2020 at 20:50, Leicester_Loyal said:

Spot on. I'd cut out the 50 points a season completely and do it solely on games attended. 

The weighting of a season ticket should be no more than 19 league games Aka 19 points. Therefore there’s a realistic chance of catching up but maintains a level of reasonable priority. Cup games can equally be unappealing as attractive, so they should be bonus, so to speak. 

It’s not really hard is it? 

On 24/02/2020 at 13:29, Ollie93 said:

I don't think this is the case. Lots of games make it down the ladder, most too members bar the obvious ones. 

The odd game in isolation giving you a solitary priority point isn't capable of doing anything though. If you're a new fan you can basically get tickets to about 5 awkward aways be it a Fri/Mon game or a place the other end of the country. How do you make up one or more season tickets at 50 points a pop like that? It's impossible to ever carve it back unless they start capping things.

12 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Spot on. I'd cut out the 50 points a season completely and do it solely on games attended. 

I agree with this. But does it really alter anything. I've been p1 basically every season since o'Neill was here, probably dropped off once during the doldrums and hit 19 or 20 out of 23 in the league 1 season and haven't dared let it slip again ever since for fear of missing a big/important game and as you know trying to get my lad anywhere close to that mark means he does the shit games. But he's getting there. 

I don't see how the club can hit the reset button now. I get the arguement for Newcastle away on nyd or Southampton on a Friday maybe carrying more weight than sheff utd on a sat 3pm being worth more than 1 point. But then those that work, or whatever would complain in equal measure.

*but if you can give my lad 30 points for attending Norwich away Friday and having to skip school I would be grateful lol

What levels are we at now? What season did they bring in the 50 points? Are we at 6 years now? That's still 130 aways in that time. Hows anyone gonna catch up with that. You do 19 I do 9. You still take nearly a decade catch up with me. And I know plenty that have more than  me.

Still of the opinion that theres no system that will please anyone.

Edited by Bayfox

Should get 20 points for a season ticket, per season, for up to 5 years. Once you reach that 5 year point, no more points are given for having a season ticket, only for going away. This will allow others to catch up, but then after a further few years the points gained from owning a season ticket are retracted (but points gained for going away remain) and the process starts again. I think this would ensure that it isn’t impossible to catch up with those on higher priorities, whilst those who have been going to away games longer do still remain first priority. As it stands a season ticket holder of 5 years must go to 50 more away matches than a season ticket holder of 6 years to be level on priority points, which is ludicrous, as both have been going to the ground for several years.

19 hours ago, shanetko said:

The odd game in isolation giving you a solitary priority point isn't capable of doing anything though. If you're a new fan you can basically get tickets to about 5 awkward aways be it a Fri/Mon game or a place the other end of the country. How do you make up one or more season tickets at 50 points a pop like that? It's impossible to ever carve it back unless they start capping things.

Very true, didn't they cap things though?