Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Vichai Statue at the King Power Stadium

16 minutes ago, pds said:

Probably get shot down for this but would prefer statues of players rather than Vichai. Love him for all he did obviously but always think statues should be reserved for players. 

Would love one of Schmeichel, Morgan and Vardy.

There's enough room for player statues in the future. None of our success in recent years would've been achieved without Vichai and no one deserves one more than him for his generosity to our city. His legacy lives on. 

Vichai had a dream. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

"The bluestone plinth supporting the statue measures 1.45m x 1.45m at the base, which tapers slightly towards the top of the plinth to a height of 2m. The plinth will display the Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha Foundation logo along with a plaque providing further information about the statue. The bronze statue of Khun Vichai will measure 2.7m in height, taking the overall height of the statue and plinth together to 4.7m".

Just hope they haven't employed the sculpture that created the Ronaldo and Maradona statues.

Or Spinal Tap's manager.

54d3f818ad1d2_-_stonehenge-replica.png?r

Guest Markyblue

Certainly deserves a statue,  the contribution to our club and city is enormous,  hope to see a couple of others either side of him such as vardy or wes with trophy. 

I personally think that clubs will generally be a bit wary of erecting statues of people that are still alive, for fear they tarnish their reputation with the club/at the club. Vardy, Morgan and King, for example, are all still at the club, and while I don't doubt they will remain legends here forever, things could easily turn sour with one of those players and then you're stuck with a 10ft heap of bronze that everyone in the city hates!

You don't see roads named after living people for the same reason.

I might be wrong but I'm fairly sure the club talked about having some kind of museum as part of the stadium redevelopment. That's probably the best place for us to celebrate our players and managers, IMO.

Edited by jeffschlupp
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I personally think that clubs will generally be a bit wary of erecting statues of people that are still alive, for fear they tarnish their reputation with the club/at the club. Vardy, Morgan and King, for example, are all still at the club, and while I don't doubt they will remain legends here forever, things could easily turn sour with one of those players and then you're stuck with a 10ft heap of bronze that everyone in the city hates!

Hmmm - not too sure the line about death is correct. Off the top of my head Arsenal have four statues dotted around the Emirates and it's only Herbert Chapman that's passed away. There's a Ferguson statue at Old Trafford.

• Like 1

Agreed with peoples thoughts on having more players/legend’s statues. I think the circumstances with Vichai’s passing strengthens the ties with the club and gives the statue deeper meaning. Would love it if the club built more statues around the expansion mind you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

I might be wrong but I'm fairly sure the club talked about having some kind of museum as part of the stadium redevelopment. That's probably the best place for us to celebrate our players and managers, IMO.

Exactly right, look what happened to the mural with kante and mahrez, that was just a bit of paint so imagine a 4.7m bronze of them!! 

2 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Lineker Road. 
There were plans to have museum in the KP when it was built but of course we went into Administration so it never happened.

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Hmmm - not too sure the line about death is correct. Off the top of my head Arsenal have four statues dotted around the Emirates and it's only Herbert Chapman that's passed away. There's a Ferguson statue at Old Trafford.

But they’re not still playing / managing are they?

Not sure what the obsession is with statues. I think it's right and proper that we have one of Vichai but I'm not sure about physical structures of current, ex-players and staff. Plenty of other ways to honour those deemed worthy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

44 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Exactly right, look what happened to the mural with kante and mahrez, that was just a bit of paint so imagine a 4.7m bronze of them!! 

Let's be honest Vardy, Morgan, Kasper will most likely retire here or are very very unlikely to sour their relationship with the club. Ranieri has already left and despite being sacked is still loved by the fans. Those are probably the prime candidates for statues. Personally I'd wait for them to retire, but this idea that those people inparticular are likely to do something now that would spoil their relationship with the club is miles off.

Guest MattP
8 hours ago, pds said:

Probably get shot down for this but would prefer statues of players rather than Vichai. Love him for all he did obviously but always think statues should be reserved for players. 

Would love one of Schmeichel, Morgan and Vardy.

Personally think Ranieri should have his statue outside the stadium already given he managed us to the Premier League title.

28 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

No, but they're all very much alive.

Yeah but they’re unlikely to **** the club over like Maher is considered to have done.

Just a few things to think about  with Thai culture...

Firstly there is a huge emphasis on family. Senior members of the family are revered. Especially those that have been influential. Let’s not forget we are still owned by a Thai family. Status is also important  so a rich influential father figure is right up there with the best of them. they’ll probably reason the prominence of such a large statue as being; Footballers don’t  own this club, a Rich Thai family do and they want him remembered for a long time hence the prominent place of the statue.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Not sure what the obsession is with statues. I think it's right and proper that we have one of Vichai but I'm not sure about physical structures of current, ex-players and staff. Plenty of other ways to honour those deemed worthy. 

I haven't got an obsession but I'd rather see a player or manager. Personally I'd name the training ground after Vichai and have a statue of Ranieri.

As we can't do a statue of all the Championship winning team I'd like to see something that recognises them all like a Walk of Fame or even sculptures of their heads embedded in the stadium all as a Wall of Fame. You could still do something statute like for a player/manager but you'd be hard pushed to get agreement on who it/they should be.

15 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I'm completely the opposite. I find naming the new training ground or new stand if and when the stadium expansion happens after Vichai would be more fitting. It celebrates his huge investment in the club's infrastructure. I'm not against a statue because we should honour Vichai but I would like to see statues of players and managers who contributed more directly to our greatest ever moments. Personally thinks it's a disgrace that we don't celebrate a goalkeeper who won the World Cup whilst playing for us. It's great when I've been to The Emirates, Goodison etc. and have seen statues and pictures of their greatest players, managers and teams all over the ground. Really adds character. 

• Like 4

Prefer a statue of Vichai than that of previous players/managers.

Would like to see a way of honouring previous players and managers either inside (inside the concourses) or along the outside of the stadium as part of the extension. 

Either way we know any changes will be done tactfully and executed to a high standard