Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Vichai Statue at the King Power Stadium

53 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Look if you start looking at the overkill of KP branding and the multitude of Thai sponsorship and cultural insignia, it can start to look very much as an example of ‘sports washing’.

sportsw.JPG.428490a2cfbbe874faf4b9a47dda8b4d.JPG

"Very much like" that?  Try not at all.  There's an ocean-sized gulf between mere marketing and sportswashing.  Tyrannical and corrupt are not the first words that come to mind where Khun Vichai is concerned.

Whether or not you care for the marketing, calling it sportswashing is out of bounds.  Have a nap (today) and another try (tomorrow).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Be interesting to see which way he'll be facing. You'd expect towards the stadium but then it provides the Holiday Inn as a photo backdrop. 

It'd be quite fitting to have it placed in front of the big glass LCFC logo near to the entrance of the club reception.

On 09/05/2020 at 15:50, Fox in the North said:

Agreed with peoples thoughts on having more players/legend’s statues. I think the circumstances with Vichai’s passing strengthens the ties with the club and gives the statue deeper meaning. Would love it if the club built more statues around the expansion mind you. 

Indeed. He died in such tragic circumstances right outside the stadium. The memorial is a place to grieve and reflect but now we’ll have a positive, cheerful tribute to the man, along with a classy welcome to the stadium. 

He, in his own words, committed to the club and the supporters “forever and ever;” doesn’t he deserve to be a part of it for however long that turns out to be?

Edited by The_77
  • Like 3

I like it, but I also agree that we should have statues of players/managers. Maybe that's more appropriate once they have left / retired. 

I'm amazed we haven't statues beforehand. Sickening that Stoke have a Gordon Banks statue outside their ground, holding the World Cup as if he was a Stoke player when he won it. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

12 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I like it, but I also agree that we should have statues of players/managers. Maybe that's more appropriate once they have left / retired. 

I'm amazed we haven't statues beforehand. Sickening that Stoke have a Gordon Banks statue outside their ground, holding the World Cup as if he was a Stoke player when he won it. 

I don't think that player (or ex-player) statues are a King Power interest. That said, they commissioned celebration murals in the concourses (eventhough Vardy looks more like Martin Sheen). 

Totally agree about the missing Gordon Banks statue. Any other club would've been all over that years ago. However, I think that would have to be a fans initiative with a request for use of King Power owned land to site it. Otherwise it would have to go elsewhere in the city and we know that we don't celebrate our history and achiements well. 

Where's the Champions mural, Pete? 

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I think that would have to be a fans initiative

Trouble is they'd never agree on the subject, every time it comes up there's never a unanimous option.. But I agree if people want a player/manager statue then they'll have to stump up the cash,  I guess you could get a contribution from KP if it was someone during their time here.

The Vichai statue is at their cost and on what is currently their land.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Trouble is they'd never agree on the subject, every time it comes up there's never a unanimous option.. But I agree if people want a player/manager statue then they'll have to stump up the cash,  I guess you could get a contribution from KP if it was someone during their time here.

The Vichai statue is at their cost and on what is currently their land.

I'm still going to start the ball rolling on a Vardy statue when he retires. 

• Like 3

The time for a Vichai statue is now. The time for a players statue is in 10+ years time when all the players involved in the title win are long gone. I think it would be weird to have a current player in statue form outside the ground. They can look back at what they have achieved once they've retired. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-vichai-statue-application-4160184

One objection so far.

That comment read: “I do not object to the statue itself. I object to the location. There is a perfectly appropriate garden that was constructed on the SE edge of the stadium around six months ago. This statue should be situated in there, not as a figurehead in front of the NW corner of the stadium.

“If and when the football club erect any statues at or around the stadium, I would want them to be of key football players/managers from its history. I can think of a least six that would be worthy of such consideration. I do not feel that any owner should get such prominent position for 'all time'. His relationship with the club lasted approximately eight of its 136-year history.

“It is tragic how he lost his life, but this was properly marked by the garden (which also recognises the others that died in that accident).

(Image: Leicester City Football Club/KSS Group)

“In addition, there are already massive pictures of the former owner stuck to the outside of the stadium. His company bannering is everywhere too. I do not begrudge the man worthy recognition but this is too much and not appropriate for our football club or our city.”

no mention of the newts ????

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-vichai-statue-application-4160184

One objection so far.

That comment read: “I do not object to the statue itself. I object to the location. There is a perfectly appropriate garden that was constructed on the SE edge of the stadium around six months ago. This statue should be situated in there, not as a figurehead in front of the NW corner of the stadium.

“If and when the football club erect any statues at or around the stadium, I would want them to be of key football players/managers from its history. I can think of a least six that would be worthy of such consideration. I do not feel that any owner should get such prominent position for 'all time'. His relationship with the club lasted approximately eight of its 136-year history.

“It is tragic how he lost his life, but this was properly marked by the garden (which also recognises the others that died in that accident).

(Image: Leicester City Football Club/KSS Group)

“In addition, there are already massive pictures of the former owner stuck to the outside of the stadium. His company bannering is everywhere too. I do not begrudge the man worthy recognition but this is too much and not appropriate for our football club or our city.”

It will get a battering but it’s well put.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

It will get a battering but it’s well put.

I'd tend to agree. With you that is.

I mean the guy has a point and he's not been a dick about it and placed his reasoning on record.

Now I'd also suggest and probably will get a battering, that our current owners have ploughed some serious cash into our club and given us some great days, so they as current owners, can stick a statute where ever they like.

But I also fall in the category that no one is immune from criticism.

So I think it's a fair point that maybe the garden that should remain forever or certainly as long as possible, maybe a more fitting place. Who knows what the future holds.

Thought that would get a battering but i agree with the two comments above.

The objection is basically taking into account our whole history and saying the tragic event is clouding judgement. I think one of Ranieri and Morgan should take prominence im in honest.

Having said that, i don't think anyone will have a serious issue with it, and god knows we've needed some extra character given to the whole stadium since it was built. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

nobody wants recognition of what he did to be "hidden away", but i agree that it doesn't seem quite right that our stadium/it's grounds seem to honour/worship an owner more than it does any players in our history. 

I'm sure they'll still be plenty of room for player statues. It's not instead of. 

11 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I'm sure they'll still be plenty of room for player statues. It's not instead of. 

but the argument presented that you disagreed with was about the position of the statue. unless they're gonna put a statue of vardy stood on top of the statue of vichai, then he is going to be taking the place of a player. 

4 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

but the argument presented that you disagreed with was about the position of the statue. unless they're gonna put a statue of vardy stood on top of the statue of vichai, then he is going to be taking the place of a player. 

There are loads of places for statues. The roundabout at the bottom of Raw Dykes Road for one. Vardy would be good outside the away turnstiles in a suitable pose. 

• Like 1