Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
worth_the_wait

Deleted threads

A couple of questions for the Moderators:

1.   What does it take to get a whole thread deleted?  (as opposed to just being locked?)

2.   If it's because of offending material creeping in, can't you just delete the relevant items?  (and then maybe lock it).    Why does all the other proceedng good stuff have to go as well?

I'm specifically thinking of the "cancel culture" thread.

For the first week or so, it looked a perfectly good thread.   Lots of good points either way, with repect to statues being pulled down and old TV programmes being canned.

Why has the whole thread been totally deleted?

And if it was because some libellous comments came in at the end, why weren't just the offending posts removed?   And at worst, then locking the thread.

(apologies if I've missed something obvious ... I didn't look at the board over the weekend much)

Thanks

In that case we also had these other very active topics Also in the news, BLM support to be displayed on shirts, Coronavirus. Here's the reports in for the past few days, most posts that were reported did warrent removing but look at the topics they are appearing in - so I thought we had too many controversial but also similar discussions going on in them all that were sometimes seen as offensive.

reports.thumb.png.b703e55221dd3ed964dd0e9b7913196a.png

Usually I will just remove the offending posts, and then they'll be moans about where's the post gone etc, can't really win whatever decisions are taken!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark said:

In that case we also had these other very active topics Also in the news, BLM support to be displayed on shirts, Coronavirus. Here's the reports in for the past few days, most posts that were reported did warrent removing but look at the topics they are appearing in - so I thought we had too many controversial but also similar discussions going on in them all that were sometimes seen as offensive.

Usually I will just remove the offending posts, and then they'll be moans about where's the post gone etc, can't really win whatever decisions are taken!

Considering the work that Foxestalk must generate for you, I and many others are very grateful for having this as a platform for all types of discussion :appl:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mark said:

Thanks.   But I was still a bit puzzled why if the thread had "degrenerated", it wasn't just locked (with the offending posts removed)?   From the examples above, only 2 appeared for "cancel culture", so it didn't appear to be the worst example anyway.

On a more general point, can you supply a bit of background info as to exactly why posts get removed.    I'm obviously not interested in any specific examples or individual names/ids etc, but on a general issue:

1.  Who is geting offended?   Is it always the same people, or a complete mix of different userids?

2.  What exactly gets something removed?   (Is it libellous content, that could get the Forum Administrators into trouble?  Threatening language?   Overuse of swear words?   Or just anything that might offend someone?)

3.  Are complaints typically coming from one social/political standpoint?  (most seem to be non pure football related).

Are the complaints normally about only "left wing" or "right wing" comments  (or pretty much balanced)?

Are the complaints normally about only "liberal/PC" or "non-liberal/non-PC" comments  (or pretty much balanced)?

I'm just trying to understand who is getting "offended" by what?   

As I've said above, it looks like most of the complaints were not really football-related, which implies social/political type comments.    Since we are supposed to live in a reasonably non-censored internet world, I'm just trying to understand where all the "being offended" is coming from?

Apologies, if these issues have been covered before.

I was just disappointed, as I thought most of the early "cancel culture" posts had some real good points made (on both sides of whatever the debate was!)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mark said:

Which poster reported all of them? Perhaps ban the people reporting them :-)

Premier league thread has turned into a political debate. I'm surprised that it hasn't been closed and all of the offenders banned for at least 7 days from Football forum and for life from the general chat forum. Is it because of who some of them are that they are getting special treatment?

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Ah FIF, going to be some achievement when you get the deleted threads thread deleted.

Stalker alert. 

We're talking about Black lives matter in the football thread, interesting one for you.

Edited by Guest
You have me confused with Wymsey in your comment below I think.

40 minutes ago, FIF said:

Stalker alert. 

We're talking about Black lives matter in the football thread, interesting one for you.

Don’t think I’ve poked fun of you for literally weeks although for someone who probably has limited social interaction due to that infectious personality of yours I imagine all things are relative

In your head perhaps, have homosexuals stopped making you sick yet?

On 25/06/2020 at 12:12, Finnegan said:

To what real end though tbh? 

What do you think you're really going to achieve with this, the 952387554255th post moaning about moderation of this forum? 

I know you mean well, I know you're trying to be diplomatic, I know you probably don't even think you're moaning, but for as long as this place has existed there has periodically been wave after wave of these posts. 

Do you really expect Mark to sit and answer all your bullet points and justify himself on repeat every time this shit crops up? 

Look at that screenshot he posted. All those reports. That's a normal day. I used to be a mod on here years ago and you get it all the time, IMs from someone who takes the internet too seriously crying that someone's been mean to them in a thread. It's incessant. 

You want to know how this place is moderated? With a long, drawn out sigh and a battle not to lose the will, from volunteers. 

This is a free site, one most of us enjoy, nobody pays Mark. In an age where most content is on social media platforms that make billions a year, we're all plugging away on a forum that Mark runs from his own pocket with a bit of contribution from adverts and donations. All the time with the same old regular voices (have a look through this sub forum, it's the same sad, no life, socially inept w@nkers in every thread) moaning about inner circles and conspiracy theories of injustice. On a ****ing Leicester City freeboard ffs. 

Ask yourself if you really want to be one of those, shrug, conclude that you don't and just go about your life. Occasionally you'll post something that gets deleted. It happens to all of us. Then go about your day. 

My questions weren't intended to be any major critism of the moderators.  Au contraire, I fully appreciate they have a very worthwhile and difficult job to do.

I was simply genuinely interested to know if the complaining was constantly coming from the same small set of people, over the same "issues" ... or whether it's pretty much a well spread out and scattered thing.

(that was about it really - just a general feel for who these "complainers" are.   Nothing too specific).

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a no arguments policy or something? 

I got a 2 day ban and loads of related posts from me and others deleted recently.. initial post was several months ago questioning if sub conscious racism is involved in people’s thinking. I insulted nobody.

Flabbergasted.

Cut a bit too close to the bone for someone maybe.

This will probably disappear along with my account. 

Leaving Pyongyang. Over and out.