Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adam1

Old Furniture for Charity

Right I have an old bed (IKEA) and a settee (2.5 seater and two 1 seaters - tags are on them as per fire standard requirements).

I don't want to be chucking them in the tip if I can as I think they can still be used (but not sellable).

Are there any charities in Leicester/shire that take on second hand furniture?

11 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Right I have an old bed (IKEA) and a settee (2.5 seater and two 1 seaters - tags are on them as per fire standard requirements).

I don't want to be chucking them in the tip if I can as I think they can still be used (but not sellable).

british heart foundation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

Have you considered Freecycle?  An option if charities won't collect.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, adam1 said:

Good shout

You need to be careful with free cycle as there are dealers lurking on there. We gave a glass table and chairs to a couple who gave us a sob story someone told me later they were selling it on Gumtree for £50.

If you want to get rid of it quick, Facebook Marketplace is brilliant.  I have gifted (and sold) many items on there. Mention it is free, and it will go quickly.

as others have said, there is a risk that someone will sell it.  It depends on how you feel about it.  Sometimes I just need something gone quickly, and I would rather it be used than go to the top, even if someone does make a few quid.  It saves a lot of hassle too.

7 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

If you want to get rid of it quick, Facebook Marketplace is brilliant.  I have gifted (and sold) many items on there. Mention it is free, and it will go quickly.

as others have said, there is a risk that someone will sell it.  It depends on how you feel about it.  Sometimes I just need something gone quickly, and I would rather it be used than go to the top, even if someone does make a few quid.  It saves a lot of hassle too.

Yes FB Market Place is great, I got rid of FB years ago but I've made an account just for this. No pics or details or friends, just for buying and selling/giving away. It seems it's where it's all done these days, nothing hangs around for long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes FB Market Place is great, I got rid of FB years ago but I've made an account just for this. No pics or details or friends, just for buying and selling/giving away. It seems it's where it's all done these days, nothing hangs around for long.

And no fees like eBay.

17 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

The Air Ambulance collected a chest of drawers from us in Wigston the other week.

Their shop is in Wigston so no idea how far they'll go to collect.

Hundreds of miles by helicopter :D

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

On 09/10/2020 at 10:58, adam1 said:

In my experience, recently trying to give an Ikea bed to charity, the ones that we offered it to, BHF. Emmaus and Mind said they wouldn't take it as it had a few scuff marks and make-up marks on it (It was our daughter's bed) and it they wouldn't be able to sell it on so it seems it furniture needs to be sellable. We put it on Freecycle and it went in 2 days to a family with young children that needed it.

Edited by Parafox

16 hours ago, Big Dave said:

It is worth noting that FB Marketplace and Gumtree seem to attract a LOT of dickheads who'll message with stupid questions and promise to collect then never bother showing up. I had an absolute nightmare trying to shift a nice kitchen table and chairs for dirt cheap, which basically ruined two weekends for me. A mate of mine was recently trying to shift a bed for very little money and had about 7 people promis to come to collect, most never showed up, the others cancelled with little warning so he'd waited in and cancelled plans one evening for no reason, and the bloke who picked it up the next morning was really late and meant his plans for that day were messed up too.

Unless you really need the money, charity is the way to go. If they won't collect and you just need rid, take it to the tip or have the council collect, at least then you're assured it'll be gone on time

Edit: I'll also add that in trying to shift the table, I had MULTIPLE people message me in languages other than English with no attempt to translate. Once you've had people ask stupid questions in English then that happening, I was seriously irked

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

It is worth noting that FB Marketplace and Gumtree seem to attract a LOT of dickheads who'll message with stupid questions and promise to collect then never bother showing up. I had an absolute nightmare trying to shift a nice kitchen table and chairs for dirt cheap, which basically ruined two weekends for me. A mate of mine was recently trying to shift a bed for very little money and had about 7 people promis to come to collect, most never showed up, the others cancelled with little warning so he'd waited in and cancelled plans one evening for no reason, and the bloke who picked it up the next morning was really late and meant his plans for that day were messed up too.

Unless you really need the money, charity is the way to go. If they won't collect and you just need rid, take it to the tip or have the council collect, at least then you're assured it'll be gone on time

Edit: I'll also add that in trying to shift the table, I had MULTIPLE people message me in languages other than English with no attempt to translate. Once you've had people ask stupid questions in English then that happening, I was seriously irked

I have found the complete opposite - I use Marketplace all the time and don’t have any issues.  Everyone that has said they will come, has come and collected, and have always been on time.

I stopped using eBay in favour of Marketplace and am really glad I did.

On 09/10/2020 at 19:30, Legend_in_blue said:

Age UK.  British Heart Foundation might take the bed, but they wouldn't take ours as we were keeping the mattress.

They took ours without the mattress. Maybe depends on type of bed? Ours was a basic pine slat bed, the kind you wouldn't expect to come with a mattress, whereas something like a divan bed typically does. :dunno:

The charities like BHF won't collect in my town because their nearest shops, in places like Bristol and Weston, are 20+ miles away.

I have got rid of some items I don't want by simply sticking them by my gate with a label on. A few hours later they are generally gone. I think I have only ever had one thing left unclaimed for more than a day.