Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

The Athletic

4 hours ago, brucey said:

Tbh I don't think the Mercury could afford to rehire Tanner given their cost cuts. 

The Athletic isn't bad as long as you're a fan of one of the big clubs, or take an interest in other sports. The big clubs get all the best writers, and a whole team of them. Laurie Whitwell used to have a lot of decent information about Leicester but he's turned into a Man U writer for the Athletic. The Athletic are even poaching their own writers from the smaller clubs for the bigger clubs, like Carl Anka, a Southampton writer for the Athletic who has now also joined the Man U Athletic team. 

I guess they're following the money like everyone else, but if you're only after articles for a non-traditionally big club, it's probably not worth bothering with. 

.. informative post....guess it didn't take too long for them to start pandering to the United dynasty.

• Like 1

I guess it's a bit like media in general especially BT & Sky, the less they put in/show about LCFC for example the fewer readers/viewers they'll have for us. They can then justify increasing the coverage of their Media Darlings 6 on the back of their reading/viewing stats

This then becomes self fulfilling for BT & Sky as they then have more of their Darling 6 stuff in their archives to keep repeating, repeating, repeating.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I’m a subscriber of The Athletic and when it comes to LCFC I’d agree. Some of their national journalists/football writers (Daniel Taylor and Oliver Kay etc) are worth paying for but the Leicester City stuff on there by Rob Tanner is often a lot of fluff.

When I read his articles there’s 90% stuff you will already know and 10% quotes from whatever the latest press conference has been. Compared to some of the other team-specific writers like Phil Hay for Leeds and James Pearce for Liverpool it’s night and day in terms of access they get and quality of writing.

Someone posted on here a couple of months ago a great YouTube podcast with Danny Simpson where he talked about his entire career. A few weeks later I saw a long read article on The Athletic with the same anecdotes and barely anything new you’d learn if you’d heard the podcast that came first.

I always thought when Tanner was at the Mercury he rarely seemed to have any special level of access that you might expect a good journalist to build with the amount of time he’d been there. Even in a year when we did the unthinkable he wasn’t producing anything out of the ordinary. In terms of quality of writing, his book didn’t come close to The Unbelievables.

So in summary, yeah, don’t subscribe to The Athletic for LCFC content and don’t post any of it here!

Being a fellow subscriber i agree with you on Rob’s stuff not being the best, but it’s getting better. He’s starting to do some more in depth analysis and beyond just biographies (which I think it’s what he better at tbh). 

it’s also not only Rob that writes about us, there has been some nice stuff from Michael Cox and Tom Worville too. 

agree that it’s not worth the sub if only for Leicester, not just quality but also quantity wise but if you like other leagues, writers and sports (NFL and MLB coverage is awesome) then it’s worth the (relativel) small subscription amount. 

not sure ripping off articles is right, sure, it’s harmless (but it’s not) but ultimately we gain from The Athletic existing as it’s raising the standard. 

What’s most surprising on this thread is the number of people who said they don’t care but then posted! Don’t get that. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

With the reaffirmation of the no cut-and-paste rule, just a note: I subscribe to the Athletic and have 5 30-day free passes. If anyone wants one, send me a DM, first come first serve.

Likewise, I've recently signed up at a £1 a month for the first 6 months and have x 5 free 30 day passes.

46 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

For the sake of clarity....................................Does this rule about pasting articles apply to all sites or just sites behind paywalls?

I assume it's the latter-  but just to be on the safe side I'd thought I'd ask.  

Sorry if it's been covered before

I think just avoid anything behind paywalls for now

Really don't get what people are finding so hard to understand about this. Maybe if you started suspending people's accounts for 48 hours the message will start to sink in, I know that may seem a bit ott but people either aren't getting the message with the softly softly approach or just choosing to ignore it. 

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Would anyone recommend this, considering you have to pay a subscription fee to access?

I like it, peaks and troughs in article quality but better than anything else that’s consistently out there. 

As for subscribing wait for an offer that only cost a quid or two a month for a year - do t pay full twat.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Would anyone recommend this, considering you have to pay a subscription fee to access?

Depends what you want. If you are looking for Leicester info, avoid.

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

I like it, peaks and troughs in article quality but better than anything else that’s consistently out there. 

As for subscribing wait for an offer that only cost a quid or two a month for a year - do t pay full twat.

Thanks. :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Depends what you want. If you are looking for Leicester info, avoid.

Why?

Does the club get under-reported compared to the other clubs?

Edited by Wymsey

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

Thanks. :thumbup:

Why?

Does the club get under-reported compared to the other clubs?

Its usually just Rob, which is fine, but it is not really insightful and many of video articles appear on the YouTube stream anyway

• 6 months later...

An interesting bit in The Athletic on positions -- the gist of it is in the graphic in the tweet.

I am not sure I would put Ndidi into the "box-to-box" category, and they don't really have a "destroyer" in their list. I also question their assertion that Castagne is a "safety." They were the only Leicester players given as an example.