Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

The Athletic

I don't get the appeal anyway, it's not like anything had ever been said on there (from what I can tell) that even a reasonably informed fan couldn't figure out for themselves.

There's plenty of interesting information and insight on Foxestalk if you know where to look and which posters to watch

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AjcW said:

As with any request from Mark...

Just ****ing do it? 

We have the best looking/functioning fan forum in the country.

This is his business and we use it for free.

Don't put any of that in jeopardy. 

Yeah, this, absolutely. Don't know how lucky we are with this place.

• Like 1

If you purchase a piece of music (vinyl, CD, download etc) you are purchasing the right to listen to it not to broadcast it. Radio stations have to pay a royalty every time they play a track, pubs etc have to pay a broadcast license to show live sports etc, so why would people think it is ok to simply copy and paste another persons work just because it is published in an online format? 

If i produce a document, such as a safety policy for example, for a client, they pay me to produce it for their use, yet i (or my company) retain the copyright and intellectual property rights as the author which protects my business. Otherwise they could pass it on to someone else to use, thereby potentially depriving me of business.

In the case of news articles, the journalists are writing on behalf of their employers who would then hold the IPR to the articles, so reproducing them breaches their copyright. By putting it onto this forum, that potentially puts the site owners at risk of prosecution

• Like 4

I'm not interested in what The Athletic has to say about anything anyway, but surely posting articles on here has led others to subscribe to a site that they would otherwise be unaware of? :dunno:

But in any case, this is a great free forum, well-moderated and with a diverse usership, so let's play ball.

Besides, I'd rather read opinions on here than in the Athletic.

47 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'm not interested in what The Athletic has to say about anything anyway, but surely posting articles on here has led others to subscribe to a site that they would otherwise be unaware of? :dunno:

But in any case, this is a great free forum, well-moderated and with a diverse usership, so let's play ball.

Besides, I'd rather read opinions on here than in the Athletic.

But on the flip side, if that was the case then why would people subscribe if they know the article would be posted on FT? 

32 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not everyone will think that way!!!

You will have posters on here who would rather subscribe than stream illegally, human nature.

Thats right...would be interesting to see the split on who would do what!

Feel for admin on sites like this, how on earth can they be responsible for all posts ! The law is an arse the poster should be responsible not the facilitators or providers of sites, if I go around selling fake stone island gear on the No 21 it’s not First Bus who end up in court for dodgy globber being sold on the bus it would be me !

I can see both sides of the coin.

Rob Tanner writes paid for Leicester based subscription articles that are copyrighted by the Athletic and the people that pay for sight of his articles are likely gonna be Leicester fans who subscribe. I am one of them.

Now if I could read every one on here - I wouldn’t subscribe, which means Rob would have to return to the quality of journalism he used to have write for the Mercury.

And NOBODY WANTS THAT.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nick said:

I can see both sides of the coin.

Rob Tanner writes paid for Leicester based subscription articles that are copyrighted by the Athletic and the people that pay for sight of his articles are likely gonna be Leicester fans who subscribe. I am one of them.

Now if I could read every one on here - I wouldn’t subscribe, which means Rob would have to return to the quality of journalism he used to have write for the Mercury.

And NOBODY WANTS THAT.

I would say that Robs standard is well suited to a return to the Mercury ! He is a very poor feature writer, it’s very ropey stuff and I never renewed my subscription, but I guess it’s down to what your used to reading and perspective. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

What a bunch of gimps. Information costs nothing to replicate from one platform to the next. Pirate whatever you want people.

You’ve totally missed the point, you’re not just paying for the cost of replicating or hosting, The Athletic has development costs, wages to journalists, marketing and all the other costs associated with a business. By mass pirating anything all you do is make the business model unfeasible and then you kill it. 

29 minutes ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

I would say that Robs standard is well suited to a return to the Mercury ! He is a very poor feature writer, it’s very ropey stuff and I never renewed my subscription, but I guess it’s down to what your used to reading and perspective. 

Tbh I don't think the Mercury could afford to rehire Tanner given their cost cuts. 

The Athletic isn't bad as long as you're a fan of one of the big clubs, or take an interest in other sports. The big clubs get all the best writers, and a whole team of them. Laurie Whitwell used to have a lot of decent information about Leicester but he's turned into a Man U writer for the Athletic. The Athletic are even poaching their own writers from the smaller clubs for the bigger clubs, like Carl Anka, a Southampton writer for the Athletic who has now also joined the Man U Athletic team. 

I guess they're following the money like everyone else, but if you're only after articles for a non-traditionally big club, it's probably not worth bothering with. 

59 minutes ago, brucey said:

Tbh I don't think the Mercury could afford to rehire Tanner given their cost cuts. 

The Athletic isn't bad as long as you're a fan of one of the big clubs, or take an interest in other sports. The big clubs get all the best writers, and a whole team of them. Laurie Whitwell used to have a lot of decent information about Leicester but he's turned into a Man U writer for the Athletic. The Athletic are even poaching their own writers from the smaller clubs for the bigger clubs, like Carl Anka, a Southampton writer for the Athletic who has now also joined the Man U Athletic team. 

I guess they're following the money like everyone else, but if you're only after articles for a non-traditionally big club, it's probably not worth bothering with. 

I like some of the long form articles on Leicester and wider, and the cost is minimal.  Still, you like it or you don't stealing their work is shit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Feel for admin on sites like this, how on earth can they be responsible for all posts ! The law is an arse the poster should be responsible not the facilitators or providers of sites, if I go around selling fake stone island gear on the No 21 it’s not First Bus who end up in court for dodgy globber being sold on the bus it would be me !

Put me down for a winter jacket & a couple of Polo shirts please.