Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Autumn Nations Cup 2020

Rugby union tournament to replace the usual autumn internationals. Obv not ideal but better than nothing.

Ireland v Wales this evening on Channel 4, all non Irish matches in this tournament are on Amazon.

Fitting tribute to Jackie Charlton from us by selecting as many non Irish born players as possible.

Edited by Nalis

13 months since Argentina last played.... baring in mind SA pulled out of the tournament due to lack of preparation time time.... 

I always wondered how random it was that a South American team were so good at Rugby but Welsh is still a joint national language in the Patagonia region so maybe it’s the welsh connection? Must be. Maybe.

Edited by MPH

18 hours ago, MPH said:

13 months since Argentina last played.... baring in mind SA pulled out of the tournament due to lack of preparation time time.... 

I always wondered how random it was that a South American team were so good at Rugby but Welsh is still a joint national language in the Patagonia region so maybe it’s the welsh connection? Must be. Maybe.

You never stop learning! 

16 hours ago, Finnegan said:

2020 can get in the ****ing sea. 

Whats the general consensus on Pivac in Wales at the minute? This all part of the transition process, just not going as well as hoped, or somewhere in between?

My perception of him was that he was going to play a more expansive game than Gatland.

We've made mistakes but England's defence has been pretty solid to be fair, just hoping we dont get nilled now. 

Fearing we are going back to days were England / France will battle it out consistently in NH though anytime a team in thre NH looks like dominating someone else comes along to disrupt things, hoping the same thing happens again.

Edited by Nalis

On 15/11/2020 at 13:09, Nalis said:

Whats the general consensus on Pivac in Wales at the minute? This all part of the transition process, just not going as well as hoped, or somewhere in between?

My perception of him was that he was going to play a more expansive game than Gatland.

My Welsh manager reckons he’s a dead man walking. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My Welsh manager reckons he’s a dead man walking. 

Hmm. 

The majority consensus from most fans I actually speak to (as opposed to reactionary knee jerk posts on social media) is still a fairly level headed, grounded, "give him time." 

I think it's easy to get caught up in the fact it's been over a year since the WC without actually looking at the fact its a fairly small handful of games, mostly played under the conditions of COVID. 

Common sense tells me that Pivac did very well with us at the Scarlets and that, given time, there's no reason he can't implement a very similar approach with what's - ultimately - a fairly similar squad. 

However, there's a few warning signs for me that I do find hard to ignore:

1. We aren't ACTUALLY playing the expansive game he was brought in to play. We're not losing games due to some Kevin Keegan style naivety where we're going hell for leather like Fiji, chucking the ball around and conceding interceptions and turn overs as a result. On the contrary, we're absolutely tediously, boringly awful. We're not trying anything at all. It's abysmal. I don't understand what he's attempting and there's no visible sign of progress. We put no moves together, offload nothing, make no like breaks, every phase is just pass it wide and go to ground. 

2. It doesn't look like the players are all that bothered. There's been rumours he doesn't have the squad on board and that it's an unhappy camp. The losses to France and Scotland were hilarious, we just didn't turn up or give any ****s at all it was surreal. The home game against Scotland was maybe the worst thing I've ever seen. 

3. We've seen backroom staff fired already with rumours that Byron was a total diva that nobody wanted to work with, which throws petrol on the fire of 2.

When you throw in how shit the regions have been over the last eighteen months to two years as well, it's a little bit alarming all round for Welsh rugby. We definitely need a spark of inspiration from somewhere. Without doubt, we've got the players, we can field a squad that's as good as almost any team in the world (except NZ and maybe SA) but they turn up and go through the motions like we're a tier two side. When Scotland have been more entertaining in the last eighteen months than we have, we've got a problem. 

I don't really know what the answers are and tbh I don't really know atm if I'd keep him. 

I think England will put, honestly, about 30 odd points on us next week if the weather is OK. Maybe more (being serious by the way, that's not just banter for Izzy.) It'll be interesting what the court of public opinion says then. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I think England will put, honestly, about 30 odd points on us next week if the weather is OK. Maybe more (being serious by the way, that's not just banter for Izzy.) 

Suspicous GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

Solid defense from England yesterday !

and a terrific second try from former Tiger Jonny May!

I swear Jonny May seems to score at least a couple of tries against us everytime we play.

Scotland v France was a bit dull, not sure what match Hogg was watching if he thought they were the better team for 75 minutes.

• Like 1

One way to piss off your Welsh customers lol

BA 'sorry' for tweet supporting England over Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55114365

British Airways has apologised after tweeting its support for the England rugby team who are due to play Wales.

'English Airways' began trending after the airline tweeted: "Good luck to the England rugby team against Wales today." The tweet has now been deleted.

Wales' Health Minister Vaughan Gething commented: "Good way to annoy 3m+ potential customers".

BA said it had "unintentionally strayed offside" and was sorry.

Member of the Senedd (MS) Alun Davies tweeted: "And you expect me to fly with you?"

BBC News at Ten presenter Huw Edwards, who grew up in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, tweeted: "I love @easyJet".

Rhondda MP Chris Bryant tweeted: "What utter divots."

Journalist Julia Hartley-Brewer responded with: "Spare a thought today for the @British_Airways social media team's notifications."

I know it was our 2nd string and we werent at our best but I must say Georgia were very solid and have been impressed with them in this tournament.

England v France in the final next week, shame some of the French players wont be available due to their club arrangements. 

In terms of punditry,  Rory Best has been pretty good (I know I'm biased). Very methodical and doesn't just go into cliche mode. Also good to have a front row perspective on things in rugby rather than the yawn fest of the likes of Wilkinson and O'Driscoll.

Edited by Nalis