Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Lyrics changed by the BBC so nobody can be offended

I am offended..!!!

That People think they have the right to take away my own right of being able choose,recognise & judge whether I or others  actually Feel like I/we  are offended....

Many a old  Word(s) ,in life, folklore,  verse, Music even law,have been argumentative,discriminitive,degradative even down right  abhorrant,

but we do  our futures-Outlook  a  disservice by trying to Hide,forget und Sweep our own / " everybodies" literical/music/political History under the carpet...

This argument comes around every year, it’s almost as old as Santa himself at this point. One of the best articles I’ve read on it is this one: https://gcn.ie/faggot-fairytale/ 

As with all cancel culture, the most important aspect, which is often overlooked is context - what era is it from? What were the norms at the time? And what are the thoughts of the actual group of individuals who may be upset by its use. 

The following comes directly from the article which was written by a gay man who detested the use of the word faggot. 

In the case of ‘Fairytale of New York’, neither the connotation or context is homophobic. It would be a travesty to edit or censor the word in the song, because of misdirected sensibilties, which I might add are as likely to come from liberal, heterosexual political correctness, as from outraged queers. The joy of the song is that it’s an antidote to the camp, superficial cartoonish Christmas standards. To reduce it to an argument over a single word is as ignorant and dismissive as the term ‘faggot’ is itself.

‘Fairytale of New York’ is social commentary. It’s a song about dreams pissed up against the wall; about people who you can’t stop loving despite all the heartache they cause. It’s about how the dramas of life take place against the backdrop of drink and drugs. It is not a song about homophobia. Get over it. Anyone who says it is deserves to be locked up, like the cheap lousy faggot they are.

Whereas censorship in the correct context is fine, out of context is a grey area... before long you’ll have to censor everything through fear of offending someone somewhere because you’ve already done it for someone else..... then before you know it, we will end up like demolition man, without Stallone and Snipes. 

Terms like faggot out of context will cause offence, but I do think it is important that the context is understood, otherwise we run the risk of banning everything that could possibly cause offence. 

In all honesty I don’t listen to the radio ever, just Spotify or podcasts, so that’s one solution to these censorship issues if you’re that bothered. It comes as no surprise though, the BBC have always been like it, remember when top of the tops used to make artists mime? 

https://youtu.be/dPtJtbRXi3I

• Like 1

To a degree, the censorship, or lack thereof, has made this song iconic. 

I personally don’t have an issue with it, like I don’t with people dropping the N word in RAP songs, singing about death or suicide or Nicki Minaj singing about her being a stripper and telling us about her lady parts. 

It’s all context. 

....... however, would I let the 6 year year old listen to it ...... no.

On the other foot, who listens to radio 1?! Who watches BBC 1? I mean, most of us watch things other than sport on catch-up, or listen to Spotify now don’t we??

On 20/11/2020 at 14:05, dsr-burnley said:

The reason it was voted "greatest ever" is that the people who like the holly-jolly-cheesy stuff split their votes over dozens of candidates, while the Ebenezer Scrooges had only this one to pick from.  It hoovered up the anti-Christmas vote.

Why would people who hate Christmas even be interested in voting for fave Christmas song :dunno:

Anyway im not bothered. In my mind the song needs to get in the bin lol 

23 hours ago, nnickn said:

this is the thing with the bbc, they want to be all modern and correct.

Well just fck off then, and stop robbing people of 150 quid a year. We have you tube and numerous similar places for entertainment now. And iptv

Just go.

You can listen to the song unedited on BBC radio stations 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sampson said:

Is it even acting that "modern" and correct?

I think most radio stations and tv music channels haven't played *that* verse of Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" for using the same insult for about 30 years.

It gets more and more obvious that as much as there’s a section of society willing to get offended by everything, there’s a opposite group willing to take any edit or correction, no matter how benign or simply well-mannered it is, and screech about how it’s censorship and the second coming of the Stasi.

Culture War nonsense is completely exhausting unless you have nothing better to do with your life than scream at each other over the fvcking Pogues.

• Like 2

On 25/11/2020 at 00:33, nnickn said:

this is the thing with the bbc, they want to be all modern and correct.

Well just fck off then, and stop robbing people of 150 quid a year. We have you tube and numerous similar places for entertainment now. And iptv

Just go.

BBC have always edited/banned songs.

Beatles, Elvis, Dylan, Stones, Kinks... they've all had their fair share of bans (not even censorships/edits but outright bans).

I don't know why people act as if the censoring of a couple words of Fairytale is the first time it's ever happened. Plus, you can listen to the unedited version on other BBC radio stations.