Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Lyrics changed by the BBC so nobody can be offended

30 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

For the sake of replacing a couple of words is it worth offending people though?

In this instance, no. But again, let's just be careful about changing things are the whim of the offended. Being offended doesn't make people right, I'd rather we judge each case individually rather than pandering to the mob. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

In this instance, no. But again, let's just be careful about changing things are the whim of the offended. Being offended doesn't make people right, I'd rather we judge each case individually rather than pandering to the mob. 

What about all the other songs that have a different version for radio? Is Celo Green’s ‘Forget You’ pandering to the mob at the whim of the offended?

6 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

What about all the other songs that have a different version for radio? Is Celo Green’s ‘Forget You’ pandering to the mob at the whim of the offended?

As I said you judge each case individually, I don't know the song so can't really comment. I've also said (twice) there is no issue with amending the song discussed in the thread. The point is, just because someone is offended, doesn't mean you should just change something so that they aren't. 

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

Fairytale of New York is the worst Xmas song anyway. Absolute shite. People only rave about it because it says the word faggot.

In fact I cant stand listening to the same xmas shit songs every year. They just wont die.

Bah Humbug

Couldn't believe it when it was voted the nations favourite the other year.

In any case, the NY PD don't have a choir, so it is factually incorrect too

Ban it completely I say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

For the sake of replacing a couple of words is it worth offending people though?

I'm not a gay man so I can't say for sure but I would imagine a kid listening to that song with issues regarding his sexuality and being closeted because of it wouldn't really appreciate hearing the words "You scumbag, you maggot. You cheap lousy faggot" on the radio. Especially in a bloody christmas song.

Don't quite understand why it's so outrageous to want to cut that out?

It's an old song. I think that's quite significant in the context of the argument. There's too much desperation to not offend, why did this become such a big thing all of a sudden? I'm not gay either, however a very good friend of mine is and he basically says all of this is patronising.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Sorry but I call bullshit on your first paragraph, people like it because its a good song rather than the slurs.

As for Christmas song, just embrace them this year scrooge :P

We will have to agree to disagree. Its voted the greatest xmas song ever? How? Video is awful and lyrically rubbish. If xmas is supposed to be a happy time then surely 'the greatest xmas song' should be something cheery and happy, gets people up dancing and being merry. For me this song doesn't do any of that.

I think I hate it because it has the tag of 'greatest xmas song' and it baffles me how it has that tag. I can only put it down to it being a little 'edgy' with using the word faggot. That's why I said the first paragraph. That's just my opinion.

I love Christmas. Im just tired of the same songs every year and hearing them earlier and earlier as each xmas comes around. Oh and don't get me started on Buble. Comes out of his hole to release the same stuff every year then hibernates again.

Wow I am actually Scrooge lol 

30 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Its voted the greatest xmas song ever? How? Video is awful and lyrically rubbish. If xmas is supposed to be a happy time then surely 'the greatest xmas song' should be something cheery and happy, gets people up dancing and being merry. For me this song doesn't do any of that.

I think I hate it because it has the tag of 'greatest xmas song' and it baffles me how it has that tag. I can only put it down to it being a little 'edgy' with using the word faggot. That's why I said the first paragraph. That's just my opinion.

I love Christmas. Im just tired of the same songs every year and hearing them earlier and earlier as each xmas comes around. Oh and don't get me started on Buble. Comes out of his hole to release the same stuff every year then hibernates again.

You make a great point on Michael Buble though pandemic or no pandemic .

54 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's an old song. I think that's quite significant in the context of the argument. There's too much desperation to not offend, why did this become such a big thing all of a sudden? I'm not gay either, however a very good friend of mine is and he basically says all of this is patronising.

The thing is though. Is it really a "desperation" to not offend? All that's happened is they've removed the line "You cheap lousy faggot" from the song. In the same way it would for any other song.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

The reason it was voted "greatest ever" is that the people who like the holly-jolly-cheesy stuff split their votes over dozens of candidates, while the Ebenezer Scrooges had only this one to pick from.  It hoovered up the anti-Christmas vote.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Thing is, the Beeb will play an edited version where Maccoll sings haggard instead of faggot on radio one, but will play the unedited version on radio 2 which makes you wonder why because it's obviously not beeb policy. This has also happened a few time in the past as well, it wouldn't surprise me if it was being done to generate some income for someone, somehow. 

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

The thing is though. Is it really a "desperation" to not offend? All that's happened is they've removed the line "You cheap lousy faggot" from the song. In the same way it would for any other song.

OK. But why Radio 1 and not all BBC music stations? It's either one thing or it's nothing.

It's not all that long ago that I heard the full, uncensored version of Je T'aime on BBC radio. Not offensive in itself I guess but clearly sexual in it's connotations. Or is it just because the word "faggot" may (or may not) refer to someone who is gay? I don't think, in the context of the song, it does.

After being criticised for not being "balanced", the BBC has a over-reacted and now has to represent every minority section of society as well as ensuring the balance of female to male presenters/actors/newsreaders, in every aspect of their output. 

Edited by Parafox

20 minutes ago, Parafox said:

OK. But why Radio 1 and not all BBC music stations? It's either one thing or it's nothing.

It's not all that long ago that I heard the full, uncensored version of Je T'aime on BBC radio. Not offensive in itself I guess but clearly sexual in it's connotations. Or is it just because the word "faggot" may (or may not) refer to someone who is gay? I don't think, in the context of the song, it does.

After being criticised for not being "balanced", the BBC has a over-reacted and now has to represent every minority section of society as well as ensuring the balance of female to male presenters/actors/newsreaders, in every aspect of their output. 

Thing is, Para, it's irrelevant whether the character in the song is Gay or not - the woman is using the term as an insult to him, which implies that there is something wrong with being Gay. Can you not see that would be hurtful to a Gay person?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I would guess because Radio 1 is the only one of their big stations whose target audience includes children (as far as I'm aware, anyway). Perhaps their market research determined that the 15-29s are the only age group that can enjoy the festive period without the comfort of the words "slut" and "faggot"?

32 minutes ago, Buce said:

Thing is, Para, it's irrelevant whether the character in the song is Gay or not - the woman is using the term as an insult to him, which implies that there is something wrong with being Gay. Can you not see that would be hurtful to a Gay person?

I get it. And using the term "faggot" as an insult is wrong. But the song has been around and played every Christmas in shops and retail centres for years. Why now? For me it comes down to the BBC being very sensitive in it's representation of "minority" sections of our community for fear of further censure. They seem to have over-egged the pudding in that respect.

14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

So then when a black rap artist uses the word "N****r" to describe his homies. That's Ok is it? There has to be one rule for all.

As far as I'm aware Radio One doesn't allow the N-word to be broadcast? Certainly didn't the last time I regularly listened to it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Parafox said:

So then when a black rap artist uses the word "N****r" to describe his homies. That's Ok is it? There has to be one rule for all.

That word is censored on national radio much like pretty much all offensive words are on all genres of music. Jesus Christ 

• Like 2