Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Lyrics changed by the BBC so nobody can be offended

Our moral guardians the BBC have announced that Fairytale of New York by The Pogues & Kirsty McCall will still be played on the network this Christmas.

After 33 years there is now no need to be offended as the words faggot, slut & junk will be replaced by something more "appropriate"

It seems the modern version of Winston Smith in the “Ministry of truth” is alive, well & beavering away.

Any other songs the BBC can feck about with so as nobody is offended?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Aye. I'll tell that to bundles of sticks and meat offal products.

In the perjorative these are words that are offensive, sure. That is outlined in the horrible nature of the folk in the song and it isn't designed to insult or offend. We don't sanitise art because of precious sensibilities. It's ridiculous and is quite literally culture shaping. I don't require art to be sanitised and governed by the moral compass of the state for me to know right and wrong, thank you. 

That's good for you.

There are plenty of people that struggle with their sexuality enough as it is that don't need these words broadcast on national radio and TV.

Ultimately, i'd sooner "offend" the people that want to use nigh-on archaic language for pork offal than the gay community.

Words change meaning over time. There is no point in living in the past. Ask 1000 people what the word "faggot" means and you'll get a handful of people telling you it means minced pork.

• Like 2

It's amazing that people are whinging about this in an age when you're literally never more than a click away from hearing any song you want in any way you want. Plus, it's not like the Beeb are the only radio station/TV channel to do this.

If this helps a few kids struggling with finding out who they are in life, then who cares? I'll still listen to the original but I'll just do so on Spotify, YouTube etc.

• Like 3

Also, I'd be amazed to hear how the BBC has managed to "change" the lyrics to the alternative version recorded by someone who died 20 years ago? Are we going to accuse the late Kirsty MacColl of being our "moral guardian" too? :rolleyes:

Besides, it's just Radio One doing it. Wouldn't fit the narrative being offered up here though I guess...

BBC Radio 1 will not play the original version of Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl this Christmas, because its audience may be offended by some of the lyrics.

The station said young listeners were particularly sensitive to derogatory terms for gender and sexuality.

It will instead play an edited version with different lyrics sung by MacColl.

But the 1987 original will still be played on Radio 2, while 6 Music DJs can choose between the two versions.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

quote-those-who-are-determined-to-be-off

It's not just the fanatics though, everyone seem to be offended by something these days, even when the argument is nothing to do with them. 

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Can't wait for the cleaner version, probably something like:-

"You ninny"

"you rotter"

"You old fashioned codger"

"You're ugly"

"You're smelly"

"You have a big belly"

Disable-ist

Unhygienic-ist

Age-ist

Looks-ist

Smell-ist

Fat-ist

Mods, ban please.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m struggling with this, how many people are actually offended by lyrics in songs? It’s just someone in an office making silly decisions and “saving” the supposed insecure British public from being offended.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but would you say the same if the word was N****r (so offensive to some that it can't even be used in the context of this conversation)?

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's not just the fanatics though, everyone seem to be offended by something these days, even when the argument is nothing to do with them. 

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last.

Thought you were having a go at me for a minute before I realised they were the ****ing lyrics in question :D

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but would you say the same if the word was N****r (so offensive to some that it can't even be used in the context of this conversation)?

Well it can be used in the context of this situation, just like it can be used in rap songs. I think the real point is should it be used.

Which brings us back to a lyric change in a  now offensive song. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. If the song is so offensive by today's standards then they should simply not play the song and condemn it to history, not change how it originally was to pass today's standards. 

The same way looney toons doesn't change its originals to suit today's standards. It's unnecessary. 

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Well it can be used in the context of this situation, just like it can be used in rap songs. I think the real point is should it be used.

Which brings us back to a lyric change in a  now offensive song. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. If the song is so offensive by today's standards then they should simply not play the song and condemn it to history, not change how it originally was to pass today's standards. 

The same way looney toons doesn't change its originals to suit today's standards. It's unnecessary. 

Not so, there have been numerous cases of academics and the like being censured for using it in a non-perjorative way; when referred to at all it is sanitised as the 'N word'.

OH MY GOD I CAN'T HEAR MY FAVOURITE FUNNY CHRISTMAS SONG WHERE THAT WOMAN CALLS SOMEONE A FAGGOT ON RADIO ONE, I'LL ONLY BE ABLE TO HEAR IT IN EVERY SHOPPING CENTRE AND SUPER MARKET FOR SIX WEEKS INSTEAD

I'M SO OUTRAGED IT'S PC GONE MAAAAAAD

OK, snowflake. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1