Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

54 minutes ago, Sir Steve Howard said:

I like the fact it's over a shorter time scale. The two one off finals we've had so far have been very close contests between good teams. If it was 7-8 years we'd still be waiting for the first winner to be crowned.

Test world cup sounds great but how would it work logistically? Would it be held in one location? If yes, it would be massively skewed depending on host.

The current format isn't perfect by any stretch but is better than no test championship at all, plus I'll never tire of seeing India lose in a final.

The ground they use for the European cricket league would be the ultimate leveller.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Well if you want a daft idea, I actually think a European XI (based at that ground and other suitable venues like Ansterdam) should enter our domestic white ball tournaments.

There's been talk of a Minor Counties XI doing so, why not make it a nice round 20 teams involved?

Didn't they have a Scottish side and a Dutch side in the old 40 over competition at some point?

Edited by Tommy Fresh

7 hours ago, Sir Steve Howard said:

I like the fact it's over a shorter time scale. The two one off finals we've had so far have been very close contests between good teams. If it was 7-8 years we'd still be waiting for the first winner to be crowned.

Test world cup sounds great but how would it work logistically? Would it be held in one location? If yes, it would be massively skewed depending on host.

The current format isn't perfect by any stretch but is better than no test championship at all, plus I'll never tire of seeing India lose in a final.

Yeah, one host nation - same as any other World Cup. Say the four group winners go into two semis and then a final instead of a round robin so each team plays a maximum of four games over say 5/6 weeks?

Get that being a host would skew it in their favour but anything could happen in one-off Tests where there's actual jeopardy involved (India the most notable bottlers in those circumstances, as you rightly point out).

The other practical option is revamp the Championship into two divisions of six, or three divisions of four, to cut down the time it would take to complete a league tournament - do it over a four-year cycle so it leaves enough room for money-spinning tours that aren't part of the tournament (England in the West Indies, for example). Also change the points system so you get points for overall series rather than individual games - say 7 for a series win, 3 each if a series is drawn and 1 for the losing side if they only lose the series by one game (2-1 or 3-2). Means there's still always something to play for but gives a fairer reflection in a world where hosting longer series isn't always practical for some nations.

6 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Didn't they have a Scottish side and a Dutch side in the old 40 over competition at some point?

Yeah. Think it was Ireland involved too - three groups of seven?

Edited by Voll Blau

On 11/03/2024 at 16:47, Tommy Fresh said:

Scotland, Netherlands, Ireland, Minor Counties XI British Universities and Unicorns all appeared the 'Grouped' ODI comps. Denmark in the ODI Cup. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

End of an era in a way  for BBC cricket .

No more Aggers fronting the coverage.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/jonathan-agnew-bbc-test-match-special-b2522696.html

At 64 he probably has reached the age where the BBC move people on although he is staying on TMS for 4 years .

Will be ok still having him on commentary. I think Isa is a better 'presenter' these days but Aggers is still a fine commentator for TMS. Hopefully plenty of life in the old dog yet.

• Like 2

As much as I love T20 and ODI format, Rabada is right. Test Cricket is the ultimate. Majority of cricket fans will probably say the same! You just can't beat a proper Test match or series. 

• Like 2