Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The awkward Celtic truth made clear as day by Brendan Rodgers' Leicester team sheet - Keith Jackson

19 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

The Scottish Football League would benefit from these 2 teams leaving . The League would have some real completion. Just where you would put Celtic & Rangers, I don't know. They would want Premier League but would never survive !

Too true. I can imagine them playing like the standard of Norwich in the PL as they are a similar style of play, and of course god wishing, get relegated.

12 hours ago, RoboFox said:

As much as I liked Lennon as a player for us, as a person and a manager he's about as dislikable as you get.

He got so lucky to land the Celtic job when he did. I think he has been coasting on Rodger's fumes all this time and those have pretty much died out now. 

He always seems so agitated and unprofessional. They need to get rid and do a complete reset. Eddie Howe would be perfect for them 

49 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

The Scottish Football League would benefit from these 2 teams leaving . The League would have some real completion. Just where you would put Celtic & Rangers, I don't know. They would want Premier League but would never survive !

Of course they would survive and would win titles in the long run .  They are two huge clubs held back by the lack of money in the SPL.  If you gave them PL money they would be giants.

• Like 3

Just now, murphy said:

Of course they would survive and would win titles in the long run .  They are two huge clubs held back by the lack of money in the SPL.  If you gave them PL money they would be giants.

Celtic would, Rangers wouldn't. 

• Haha 1

Just now, murphy said:

Could they survive the first season without the PL money ?

Just now, gurru991 said:

Could they survive the first season without the PL money ?

Probably.  Just getting to the PL gives you tens of millions to invest but even if they didn't, in the fullness of time they would become PL juggernauts on the scale of Liverpool and United because they are massive clubs from a massive city with massive worldwide fan bases.  It would be bad news for us as it would push us a couple of rungs down the ladder.

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

Probably.  Just getting to the PL gives you tens of millions to invest but even if they didn't, in the fullness of time they would become PL juggernauts on the scale of Liverpool and United because they are massive clubs from a massive city with massive worldwide fan bases.  It would be bad news for us as it would push us a couple of rungs down the ladder.

Rangers would get there, blow crazy amounts of money on big name 30 year olds, run it close for a couple of years then ultimately end up like Pompey. 

Celtic would be very conservative and slowly build their infrastructure whilst adding gradually and eventually start bothering the top 6 af6er 7-10 years. 

Why the fk, is Celtic getting free Marketing Space on this forum..

Idiots on this forum quoted Trash over Rodgers, even trying to use it against him, simply on what shit ,disgruntled Celtic fans, tried to spread..

MON/Rodgers, Spiritual , irish-scottish connection, openned the door for them. They Made their own History & success..Good..!! But that time as gone.

One manager went One way, the tother the other....I

Still waiting out of interest how their careers will  be written in the football-history books..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Idiots on this forum quoted Trash over Rodgers, even trying to use it against him, simply on what shit ,disgruntled Celtic fans, tried to spread..

MON/Rodgers, Spiritual , irish-scottish connection, openned the door for them. They Made their own History & success..Good..!! But that time as gone.

Still waiting out of interest how their careers will  be written in the football-history books..

To let Odsonne Edouard know that Leicester is better than Celtic, despite what Chris Sutton says...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2021 at 23:46, fuchsntf said:

On 25/01/2021 at 23:50, LC/FC said:

To let Odsonne Edouard know that Leicester is better than Celtic, despite what Chris Sutton says...

Good point but there's always lessons to be learned from other clubs,particularly Celtic and Rangers. I've lived in Scotland for about 40 years but would n't claim to know it all. Both clubs have been remarkably good at incompetence,particularly financial. Buses normally leave from all over Scotland every w/e to ferry supporters to whereever Rangers and Celtic are playing despite which their gate receipts are lower than most PL clubs. It does n't do the rest of Scottish football much good either. For clubs other than C and R gates are unbelieveably low compared with England for obvious reasons. Both clubs have been practically bankrupt in recent years. Celtic recovered first at about the same time Rangers started drowning., and are probably still in better financial shape. Usually ECL  cash keeps them afloat although for either to survive beyond Xmas is rare. I doubt either would survive in the PL without ECL cash,for many seasons and believe me you would n't want them. The financial scandal of Rangers finances reached national government level as have s Celtic's Covid breaches. I've never risked attending a match at either except as a Coporate guest. I dare but don't. I'm English. If we draw Rangers in the EL I will.if my son will accompany me,  but won't wear any blue and I'll assume a Scottish accent. I'm not kidding.

For a reason I don't know the extraordinary supply of talented Scottish footballers dried up in the 1980s=90s. I don't think anyone in Scottish football knows why. The result has been an annual decline in gates , international ranking, club support,and the old firm.I suspect Rangers and Celtic may have unwittingly caused this somehow. The same effect has to some extent happened in England but less so and masked by a much higher,all seated population. I personally would say the last civilised and real quality player in Scottish football was Henrik Larssen . I think even many Rangers fans liked and respected him.

The clubs don't even have goal line technology let alone VAR, Too expensive.

Regarding Lennon i think if he had n't been a footballer he'd have been a good guy. His treatment in Scottish football has been disgracful over the years (wrong religion I think). Celtic fans are not too civilised but as most countries in Europe know, Rangers fans are probably worse. There are also an awful  lot more of them . When I moved here I was a big fan of Scottish Football who probably had more skilled players than England.I was warned early on never to take my young son to Rangers or Celtic . This from a man who had played at Hampden Park. When I said surely a man with a seven year old son won't be a target I was told the bottles,bricks and piss won't know his age. Good advice then but things have greatly improved mainly due to drink restrictions. The hatred between many Celtic and Ranger's fans still leads to some deaths each year although again, things have been greatly improved due to legislation, and they don't usually die in the stadiums now.

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

Good point but there's always lessons to be learned from other clubs,particularly Celtic and Rangers. I've lived in Scotland for about 40 years but would n't claim to know it all. Both clubs have been remarkably good at incompetence,particularly financial. Buses normally leave from all over Scotland every w/e to ferry supporters to whereever Rangers and Celtic are playing despite which their gate receipts are lower than most PL clubs. It does n't do the rest of Scottish football much good either. For clubs other than C and R gates are unbelieveably low compared with England for obvious reasons. Both clubs have been practically bankrupt in recent years. Celtic recovered first at about the same time Rangers started drowning., and are probably still in better financial shape. Usually ECL  cash keeps them afloat although for either to survive beyond Xmas is rare. I doubt either would survive in the PL without ECL cash,for many seasons and believe me you would n't want them. The financial scandal of Rangers finances reached national government level as have s Celtic's Covid breaches. I've never risked attending a match at either except as a Coporate guest. I dare but don't. I'm English. If we draw Rangers in the EL I will.if my son will accompany me,  but won't wear any blue and I'll assume a Scottish accent. I'm not kidding.

For a reason I don't know the extraordinary supply of talented Scottish footballers dried up in the 1980s=90s. I don't think anyone in Scottish football knows why. The result has been an annual decline in gates , international ranking, club support,and the old firm.I suspect Rangers and Celtic may have unwittingly caused this somehow. The same effect has to some extent happened in England but less so and masked by a much higher,all seated population. I personally would say the last civilised and real quality player in Scottish football was Henrik Larssen . I think even many Rangers fans liked and respected him.

The clubs don't even have goal line technology let alone VAR, Too expensive.

Regarding Lennon i think if he had n't been a footballer he'd have been a good guy. His treatment in Scottish football has been disgracful over the years (wrong religion I think). Celtic fans are not too civilised but as most countries in Europe know, Rangers fans are probably worse. There are also an awful  lot more of them . When I moved here I was a big fan of Scottish Football who probably had more skilled players than England.I was warned early on never to take my young son to Rangers or Celtic . This from a man who had played at Hampden Park. When I said surely a man with a seven year old son won't be a target I was told the bottles,bricks and piss won't know his age. Good advice then but things have greatly improved mainly due to drink restrictions. The hatred between many Celtic and Ranger's fans still leads to some deaths each year although again, things have been greatly improved due to legislation, and they don't usually die in the stadiums now.

That's a really interesting post thanks for thanks. I've noticed over the recent 5-10 years in particular that the smaller clubs in the SPL that they are building new stadiums, extensions etc. One I saw recently had been moved out of the centre and into the country on the edge and it looked a great layout and designs for a 15'000 seater stadium. My point being is that iff all other clubs Bar Celtic and Rangers in the SPL are spending so much money on infrastructure that is still nowhere near Celtic's and Rangers size then how will the leugue be in 10-20 years time?. Another club isnt even a UEFA size pitch area. I watch the old firm sometimes but it isnt anything like it used to be with the standard of play and I could only liken it to mid table PL at best. I do hope the smaller clubs who are trying to grow do make an impact and become a feeder type club for sustainability and talent to try to match the top 2 as much as possible.

On 25/01/2021 at 10:56, Spudulike said:

Lucky escape for the pair. Had they gone to Celtic and been outstanding (as they would've been, obviously) they would have found it difficult to get recruited by a Premier League club, most of which treat players coming out of the SPL with extreme caution. Not a good career move for either. 

The Celtic I remember taking the European Cup before any English team did, bears no resemblance to the backwater outfit that's struggling to remain in the two-horse race that's Scots football.

The demise of the Scots footballer is equally saddening. Celtic in '66-'67 were 100%' homegrown', blessed with players the equal of any then extant team - globally.

Footballers there are still seen as tribal champions in a sectarian religious war that's been simmering for centuries. Hateful place to ply your footballing trade in. 

Whether Rodgers would have tempted Castagne and Justin to the borderlands of European competition is debatable - leave Atalanta for Celtic doesn't compute with me - but neither would have been there for long. Lucky escape for Justin, had he found himself with no other suitors than the Bhoys.

Rodgers and Vichai were mutually blessed to meet at the junction they did - one looking for a way back to a proper challenge and the other for a manager with accumulated wisdom and experience at the top.  

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 23:49, Mawuli said:

Massive worldwide fanbases...I think Everton have a bigger worldwide fanbase than celtic do honestly

Don’t know a single Everton fan, apart from match days never even seen their kit on holidays etc... can’t think of one celebrity fan 🤷‍♂️

But you keep thinking, I think you need to do more of that before typing 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Don’t know a single Everton fan, apart from match days never even seen their kit on holidays etc... can’t think of one celebrity fan 🤷‍♂️

But you keep thinking, I think you need to do more of that before typing 🤦‍♂️

I live outside of england and can tell you right now I have never ever seen a celtic fan that wasn't scottish, I've seen Everton fans from America, africa,asia. Hell for such a big team I've seen our jersey sold more times than theirs. So how do they have such a global fanbase

On 25/01/2021 at 23:49, Mawuli said:

Massive worldwide fanbases...I think Everton have a bigger worldwide fanbase than celtic do honestly

Celtic can probably claim support from the majority of the worldwide Irish diaspora who are into football. I'm sure a report estimated their global fanbase around the nine million mark.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mawuli said:

I live outside of england and can tell you right now I have never ever seen a celtic fan that wasn't scottish, I've seen Everton fans from America, africa,asia. Hell for such a big team I've seen our jersey sold more times than theirs. So how do they have such a global fanbase

I suspect you can’t understand an Irish accent 🤣🤣🤣 just google and start to look up Celtic Supporters Clubs globally, Celtic has developed a fanbase in a number of countries around the world, with over 160 official supporters' clubs in over 20 countries around the world. Research in 2003 by Capita Consulting in conjunction with the Cranfield Institute estimated the worldwide fan base as being around nine million 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Celtic can probably claim support from the majority of the worldwide Irish diaspora who are into football. I'm sure a report estimated their global fanbase around the nine million mark.

Is it really world wide if it's just liked by the Irish dispora,when I'm talking about world wide I mean like how real madrid have fanbases in almost every country that are not in any way spsnish

9 minutes ago, Mawuli said:

Is it really world wide if it's just liked by the Irish dispora,when I'm talking about world wide I mean like how real madrid have fanbases in almost every country that are not in any way spsnish

There are Celtic and Rangers bars in almost every holiday destination I've ever been. Spain, Portugal, Germany and even in places like America, Canada..... To my Knowledge there isn't even an Everton one in Scotland never mind all these other places yet in England, there is probably a Rangers/Celtic affiliated pub in most cities.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mawuli said:

Add in people who support them because they like the religion/politics/"rebel" image associated with Celtic and you're talking about a pretty big cult across the world.

People may not support them for football reasons, but it's naïve in the extreme to say the Old Firm clubs don't have bigger fanbases than the likes of Everton.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Wasnt there Celtic club in Thringstone? Certainly used to be one of each in Corby obviously due to the high number of SCots in the steel industry

Rangers Club in Corby was the biggest one outside of Scotland. Used to work with a guy whose dad ran it.