Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The awkward Celtic truth made clear as day by Brendan Rodgers' Leicester team sheet - Keith Jackson

I think that the reason that Rodgers left Celtic was for a new challenge.  The Premier League is the place to be, not the SPL.  I doubt whether signing Justin would have changed that and they wouldn't have had the money to bring in Castagne anyway.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

As much as I liked Lennon as a player for us, as a person and a manager he's about as dislikable as you get.

I loved Lennon.  Why do I keep reading this about him.  What's he done?

8 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think that the reason that Rodgers left Celtic was for a new challenge.  The Premier League is the place to be, not the SPL.  I doubt whether signing Justin would have changed that and they wouldn't have had the money to bring in Castagne anyway.

Just comes across as a belligerent cock. Coming out with tin-foil hat nonsense about some sort of "political agenda" against Celtic. No, Neil. You're not doing a very good job and Celtic are having a disastrous season as a result. 

It's clearly something to do with being in charge of either of the Old Firm clubs, too.

Even Ally McCoist became an arsehole in charge of Rangers and he's one of the happiest people in the game.

4 hours ago, rico said:

I met Lennon after we beat Man Utd 5-3, really nice bloke and very approachable

My dad met him and izzet in the cherry tree in town, when they played for us apparently they were drinking and singing with fans they were both steaming and ended up scrapping with someone at kicking out time. 

You just couldn't imagine Youri and wilf behaving like that nowadays 😂

With regards to Lennon I have a lot of sympathy for him he was brilliant here was in the side that got us promoted and won 2 of only 5 proper bits of silverware in the clubs history. 

Can't understand the hatred for him from Celtic fans how can a proud Irish nationalist who won 21 major honours for them as a player and a manager get completely turned on and be so hated? 

Speaks more about Celtic fans than it does about lennon in my humble opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I met him when he played for us, was a bit of nob to be honest.

Same here, met him in the function room after the Southampton game in the late 90s , Izzet, Peter Shilton and Bill Maynard was in there and they was very chatty, Lennon though was very ignorant, great player, but as a person came across as you put it a nob

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

My dad met him and izzet in the cherry tree in town, when they played for us apparently they were drinking and singing with fans they were both steaming and ended up scrapping with someone at kicking out time. 

You just couldn't imagine Youri and wilf behaving like that nowadays 😂

With regards to Lennon I have a lot of sympathy for him he was brilliant here was in the side that got us promoted and won 2 of only 5 proper bits of silverware in the clubs history. 

Can't understand the hatred for him from Celtic fans how can a proud Irish nationalist who won 21 major honours for them as a player and a manager get completely turned on and be so hated? 

Speaks more about Celtic fans than it does about lennon in my humble opinion. 

....that is always the problem with heroes' becoming managers!!!

There is always going to be a point where your lack of success becomes the reason why you have to run the gauntlet of hate and ridicule. Lampard would have experienced it recently, his saving grace is that action was taken sooner than normal, it really does not matter how revered you are at a club, when you fail in the managers chair there is far far too much to lose in respect of the status you had previously gained and having it undermined.

You can afford to fail at other clubs and still be revered for what you have previously achieved here.

5 hours ago, murphy said:

Agree with this. Rodgers should have been backed better and he was obviously frustrated by that but he'd reached a glass ceiling with Celtic as he'd won everything domestically several times over and never got the players he waned/needed for us to compete in the Champions League. Had we even signed the players mentioned I think he'd still have left as there was nothing left for him to achieve at Celtic and Leicester had a young squad with great potential who were vastly underperforming so it was clearly a great opportunity for him. Moving to a better league and earning a fair amount more in terms of money also.

On Castagne, may be hard to believe now but we were very close to getting him as he was in and out of the Atalanta side at that time and there were quotes from him saying he was up for the move. Coincidentally we never matched their asking price of £10m, he then broke into the team and was a revelation after that. Funny old game.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I met him when he played for us, was a bit of nob to be honest.

i met him at a hibs do and he was sound enough for the brief time i spoke to him. they had just won the league though. i could see him being hard work. 

47 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....that is always the problem with heroes' becoming managers!!!

There is always going to be a point where your lack of success becomes the reason why you have to run the gauntlet of hate and ridicule. Lampard would have experienced it recently, his saving grace is that action was taken sooner than normal, it really does not matter how revered you are at a club, when you fail in the managers chair there is far far too much to lose in respect of the status you had previously gained and having it undermined.

You can afford to fail at other clubs and still be revered for what you have previously achieved here.

Good point I suppose a good example is Claudio. Although the fans never turned on him like Celtic fans have turned on lennon it probably wasn't far away. 

5 hours ago, murphy said:

Apart from being a shite manager, he is also a dick head !

9 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Good point I suppose a good example is Claudio. Although the fans never turned on him like Celtic fans have turned on lennon it probably wasn't far away. 

....the real culprit is the Board and the people above making decisions!!!

The manager is always going to get it in the neck from the supporters as he is the one visible character in the position to address problems and failing to do so only leads to the frustration of the fan base. Calling the owners out due to lack of financial support would not go down too well and his tenure would be short lived.

Not sure you are a Leicester Tigers supporter but the vitriol directed at Geordan Murphy was incredible when the problem stemmed from a Board who was short sighted in their outlook and led to a Tigers hero being vilified.

Celtic needs to look at their Board, they need a plan, and soon.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I could never turn on Claudio. Bringing the title to this Club has yet to be equalled and I doubt whether that record will ever be overhauled. The 'Jocks' are a different breed so no comparison really.

• Like 1

He bought me and a few mates a round of drinks and had a nice 20 minute chat back when he was here playing for us, at a pub in Wigston. Chatted about the team and players and MON as well as his love of Celtic even then, and showed us his Celtic tattoo. Generally a sound normal guy at the time I met him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, murphy said:

He spat his dummy out when I got served in front of him in Kristals tbf😂.     Other than that I quite like him.

3 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Maybe the PL should invite Celtic & Rangers into our league, if only just to watch them try to claw themselves from mid table to the EL places every year. 👋 CL.

The Scottish Football League would benefit from these 2 teams leaving . The League would have some real completion. Just where you would put Celtic & Rangers, I don't know. They would want Premier League but would never survive !