Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Squad rotation

23 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Yes but after 2 hours you get a 10 minute break every time someone boots the ball too far and nobody can be arsed to get it.

What I'm saying is a kickabout is not as intense as playing football at the highest level. Owen is the prime example of a player playing too much too young and ending up being crocked by 26.

Yes, true, but also true is that these players are much, much fitter than I ever was. Of course I'm not saying they should play 3+ hrs at a time, but I can't understand why they're still "tired" three days later.

Stressed might be a better way of putting it.

Wing backs and wingers and DM are realistically the ones we could could rotate. Defence is what it is. The worry for me is Tielemans and Madison backup, hence I'd sign someone like Eriksen and offer a percentage of his wage and get him over here quickly and bedded in.

We saw the results of no squad rotation and a heavy schedule at the end of last season.  Do not want.

The problem is at this point, it’s impossible to rotate Maddison and Tielemans because with Praet gone we have no like for like replacement in the squad.  And Tielemans especially is being run into the ground already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yes, true, but also true is that these players are much, much fitter than I ever was. Of course I'm not saying they should play 3+ hrs at a time, but I can't understand why they're still "tired" three days later.

Stressed might be a better way of putting it.

I doubt it's that they're tired as in absolutely knackered and can't run, more tired as in they're at about 90% rather than 100% which is a huge difference when you're playing at the top level. It is vital that we keep the squad as fresh as possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

It would be quiet nice to have the Europa league tie done and dusted in the first leg as we have Arsenal two days after the second leg so we would want to field as weak a side in that as we van get away with. 

Suspect the Arsenal game would be moved from Saturday to Sunday.

2 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

I hate Bruno Fernandes but he actually went up in my estimation today when he was quoted as saying "I'm only 26 how can I be tired, I want to play"

People on here seem to have an obsession with players being rested or rotated. The bulk of our team are aged under 26,  so no reason at all why they cannot play in the majority of our matches including the FA Cup

Wanting to play all the time is admirable. Whether it is advisable is a different matter.

The body does not always follow what the mind wants to do, and almost invariably performances will suffer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

Wing backs and wingers and DM are realistically the ones we could could rotate. Defence is what it is. The worry for me is Tielemans and Madison backup, hence I'd sign someone like Eriksen and offer a percentage of his wage and get him over here quickly and bedded in.

We should be looking for someone like Morgan Sanson (who's ended up at Villa), instead of Eriksen who is looking washed out.

• Like 2

Have more than enough depth, it's just Vardy and Tielemans we'll struggle to really replace for a given game. Already missing one. Confident with whoever he puts out though, especially defensively. Fuchs isn't getting a look in and he was playing 2 games a week for around a month. Granted he looked knackered towards the end but he did it; if he can manage it the rest can, too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Just scored a 97th minute winner in the Milan derby. Not that washed out really 

LOL! Akin to Lanzini’s 94th minute equalizer for West Ham (coming back from 0-3 in the final 8 minutes) against Spurs. Perhaps we should sign Lanzini pronto... lol

Hate to belabor the point, because I have nothing personally against Eriksen and merely do not believe that he would be helpful to us at this markedly-declining point in his career, but being brought in in the final minutes (88 minute) of the Milan cup derby and having the good fortune of putting away a free-kick in added-on time does not negate the reality that (1) it is his first goal of the season, (2) he is yet to score a league goal (coupled with 0 assists) in the Serie A this season, in an increasingly-diminishing number of appearances, and (2) managed barely 1 league goal in the Serie A all of last season (as a late sub in a 6-0 rout of lowly Brescia) - even presuming he would agree to a. MASSIVE wage cut (something he reportedly declined to do to join Pochettino at PSG just this month).

Congrats on his first goal of the season, but still a NO! :protest:

Edited by NaijaFox

We fell into a hole at the end of last season with injuries, it cost us a top 4 finish . If we don’t buy a attacking midfielder now we will end up in the same position, what ever the price we have to pay it will come back to us with a top 4 finish and a champions league spot 

10 hours ago, weller54 said:

I know another single handedly thing that's getting me through this 😂.

You need to quit, it's a dirty habit!

We're on about smoking you dirty minds!  😂

• Haha 1

On 26/01/2021 at 11:24, Foxy_Bear said:

It would be quiet nice to have the Europa league tie done and dusted in the first leg as we have Arsenal two days after the second leg so we would want to field as weak a side in that as we van get away with. 

On 26/01/2021 at 17:18, NaijaFox said:

Suspect the Arsenal game would be moved from Saturday to Sunday.

The Arsenal game has indeed been moved to Sunday February 28/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It’s definitely interesting looking back at this topic now with hindsight. 

I would say Brendan went more or less full strength for the whole period, a couple of smart rests for Ricardo. 

I hate that our injury situation was this inevitable and I don’t blame Brendan for it. I just will always have a lingering thought that if we fully rotated in a few of the games maybe a few of the players would have avoided serious injury.

it’s not just bad luck... it’s biology.

after tielemans and kasper the players with the most minutes were - evans, Madison, Justin, Barnes, Vardy 

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It’s definitely interesting looking back at this topic now with hindsight. 

I would say Brendan went more or less full strength for the whole period, a couple of smart rests for Ricardo. 

I hate that our injury situation was this inevitable and I don’t blame Brendan for it. I just will always have a lingering thought that if we fully rotated in a few of the games maybe a few of the players would have avoided serious injury.

it’s not just bad luck... it’s biology.

after tielemans and kasper the players with the most minutes were - evans, Madison, Justin, Barnes, Vardy 

As per this graph on Sky show we rotate a a decent amount, however you can see the advantage bigger clubs have and some teams like Leeds and Wolves have been lucky

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 14.14.02.png

Edited by coolhandfox