Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

CON: 40% (-5) 

LAB: 37% (-1) 

Polling 16-22 April (Ipsos Mori)

Headline: "Tories plunge five points after weeks of growing sleaze controversy, exclusive poll reveals."

Later that day... and from a poll even more up to date (26 April, Redfield Wilton) with 4 days extra sleaze allegations

CON: 44% (-)

LAB: 34% (-)

Still a 10pt lead yet no dramatic headlines.

Vaccine bounce, innit.

I'm expecting some wildly divergent turnouts in different parts of the country at next week's elections.

Big turnout in Scotland, I presume, with IndyRef2 at stake.

Perhaps half-decent in Wales, where they're electing their devolved govt, and in 1 or 2 parts of England where there are competitive mayoral elections (West Midlands, Tees Valley)

But I wonder if we could get record low turnouts in some parts of England due to a combination of Covid/lockdown, uncompetitive elections, Lab voters uninspired by Starmer & Con voters turned off by sleaze?

The only election in Leicester is for Police & Crime Commissioner, I think - and the Labour bod is the only one to provide a (bland) leaflet, so far.

I'm liking the polls showing Count Binface (ex-Lord Buckethead) on the same ratings as Mr. Gammons (UKIP) and Laurence Fox in the race for London Mayor. :D

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm expecting some wildly divergent turnouts in different parts of the country at next week's elections.

Big turnout in Scotland, I presume, with IndyRef2 at stake.

Perhaps half-decent in Wales, where they're electing their devolved govt, and in 1 or 2 parts of England where there are competitive mayoral elections (West Midlands, Tees Valley)

But I wonder if we could get record low turnouts in some parts of England due to a combination of Covid/lockdown, uncompetitive elections, Lab voters uninspired by Starmer & Con voters turned off by sleaze?

The only election in Leicester is for Police & Crime Commissioner, I think - and the Labour bod is the only one to provide a (bland) leaflet, so far.

I'm liking the polls showing Count Binface (ex-Lord Buckethead) on the same ratings as Mr. Gammons (UKIP) and Laurence Fox in the race for London Mayor. :D

I thought Count Binface was Lord Buckethead’s great foe? I seem to recall them both being at Theresa May’s constituency a few years back and Buckethead joyously flipping the bird at Binface when he got more votes.

2 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I thought Count Binface was Lord Buckethead’s great foe? I seem to recall them both being at Theresa May’s constituency a few years back and Buckethead joyously flipping the bird at Binface when he got more votes.

It seems there have been at least 3 Lord Bucketheads and the 2nd Lord Buckethead became Count Binface due to Hollywood copyright issues: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Buckethead

After conducting some important political research, it seems  that both stood in Johnson's constituency in 2019, but in 2017 it was the 3rd Buckethead v. Howling Laud Hope (Monster Raving Loony) in Theresa May's constituency. :D

That London Mayor poll also had  some independent YouTube comedian on 5%, well ahead of Fox or Gammons - and polling 2nd among those aged 18-24.

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Why is a bloke getting his flat painted all over the news?

Because he has possibly broken the law by having Tory donors pay for it, possibly leading to a conflict of interests.

E0DXpZYXsAEDput?format=jpg&name=medium

14 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

It seems there have been at least 3 Lord Bucketheads and the 2nd Lord Buckethead became Count Binface due to Hollywood copyright issues: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Buckethead

After conducting some important political research, it seems  that both stood in Johnson's constituency in 2019, but in 2017 it was the 3rd Buckethead v. Howling Laud Hope (Monster Raving Loony) in Theresa May's constituency. :D

That London Mayor poll also had  some independent YouTube comedian on 5%, well ahead of Fox or Gammons - and polling 2nd among those aged 18-24.

I never knew the rivalry was so bitter. No wonder Buckethead was so smug in victory.

Laurence Fox meanwhile is turning into a fascinating case study on how to kill your career by not knowing when to shut your gob.

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

Because he has possibly broken the law by having Tory donors pay for it, possibly leading to a conflict of interests.

E0DXpZYXsAEDput?format=jpg&name=medium

lol

Seems like something to worry about once we've sorted out this other minor inconvenience.

20 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I never knew the rivalry was so bitter. No wonder Buckethead was so smug in victory.

Laurence Fox meanwhile is turning into a fascinating case study on how to kill your career by not knowing when to shut your gob.

Fox's career really should have been dead the moment he basically inferred he was ok with the Capitol insurrection, tbh.

• Like 1

Dodgy contracts, cronyism, cash-for-access, scandal, sleaze and Electoral Commission investigation aside. 

Has anyone actually seen the state of the flat? It's fvcking gross. Dripping in opulent filthy lucre. Johnson should go for a severe lack of taste alone.

Perhaps we should compare Boris Johnson's 'crime' of doing up a government residence in which he is a temporary resident with a relatively small amount of private money with President Putin's billion pound palace, paid for by the people of Russia, whether they wish to pay for it or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Perhaps we should compare Boris Johnson's 'crime' of doing up a government residence in which he is a temporary resident with a relatively small amount of private money with President Putin's billion pound palace, paid for by the people of Russia, whether they wish to pay for it or not.

Why?

The Tory party has a problem here. Their leader is incompetent and consistently looks like he hasn’t got any handle on what’s happening around him, including what’s in the rules and what isn’t, yet the polls are still up and he does appear to be a vote-winner in their key battlegrounds.

It feels like they should be reaching the point where they bin him off, but his replacement is far from obvious.

44 minutes ago, String fellow said:

This ain't Russia mate i fail to see your point! Are you comparing mr boris to a dictator? (weak labour opposition ain't better either) 

17 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Johnson is a bit ****ed isn't he. 

With this, and the "bodies piled high" statement, he's certainly in deep hot water. 

He's a proven liar and brilliant at stonewalling endless allegations about his conduct, personal life etc. but obfuscation doesn't work when money has changed hands and there's a paper trail. These questions will not stop until the details are in the public domain, and he could find himself in trouble. 

It feels like the pressure is mounting for him to finally be held accountable. 

4 minutes ago, Dunge said:

The Tory party has a problem here. Their leader is incompetent and consistently looks like he hasn’t got any handle on what’s happening around him, including what’s in the rules and what isn’t, yet the polls are still up and he does appear to be a vote-winner in their key battlegrounds.

It feels like they should be reaching the point where they bin him off, but his replacement is far from obvious.

Problem is that starmer is a absolutely awful 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dunge said:

We’d have to disagree on that but I’m aware you’re not the only person who thinks so.

Yeah. He's got literally nothing about him. I'd be more on board if he could talk about policy and such but he doesn't even do that 

2 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Yeah. He's got literally nothing about him. I'd be more on board if he could talk about policy and such but he doesn't even do that 

Fairly sweeping statement that. You don't head up the organisation he did having 'nothing about you'. In a political sense he's work to do I get that.

This sudden flair-ups indicting Johnson has Gove’s fingerprints on it, his other half works at the Daily Mail which seems to be the main driver of all the noise. Coincidence or is he making another play? 

Gove’s a godsend for Labour at the minute, they’re all over the shop and need to rally and in time for the end of the pandemic and reopening he seems back on his case for top office. The man seems to have a unordinary amount of influence in the Conservative Party and the media (less surprising considering his background) and yet he’s absolutely repulsive electorally, Boris has ‘character’ that makes it somewhat easy to shake-off controversy and criticism yet Gove seems to manifest all the worst elements of the Tory Party without a lick of charisma to make up for it. Starmer’s going to want to make himself look a bit more in control of Labour and set out at least a framework of policy and direction whilst the knives are out at Downing Street.

Edited by Finnaldo

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

This sudden flair-ups indicting Johnson has Gove’s fingerprints on it, his other half works at the Daily Mail which seems to be the main driver of all the noise. Coincidence or is he making another play? 

Gove’s a godsend for Labour at the minute, they’re all over the shop and need to rally and in time for the end of the pandemic and reopening he seems back on his case for top office. The man seems to have a unordinary amount of influence in the Conservative Party and the media (less surprising considering his background) and yet he’s absolutely repulsive electorally, Boris has ‘character’ that makes it somewhat easy to shake-off controversy and criticism yet Gove seems to manifest all the worst elements of the Tory Party without a lick of charisma to make up for it. Starmer’s going to want to make himself look a bit more in control of Labour and set out at least a framework of policy and direction whilst the knives are out at Downing Street.

To be honest, I think Gove’s the one who’s been running this government for some time. Boris is scatty, poor with facts and details, and prone to gaffes. As you say, the one thing he does have is charisma, but I don’t see that he has much if any control over what’s happening around him. The guy’s incompetent. It therefore falls on someone else to actually keep things ticking along, and Gove is the one in all of the meetings.

I think technically he’s the obvious candidate to take over as PM. But as you say he’s pretty universally disliked by the public so it’s hard to see that happening. In fact, that’s probably a good argument why it isn’t his fingerprints all over it - I reckon he’d end up losing influence under (e.g.) Prime Minister Sunak.