Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

14 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Bridgen, always came across as a smeary so so. Just another on the pile to scape heap of MPs with no integrity and zero ethics 

Bridgen? A liar? Well I never. The people of north west Leicestershire deserve better but they keep voting for this numpty. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Bridgen? A liar? Well I never. The people of north west Leicestershire deserve better but they keep voting for this numpty. 

Then the majority get what they deserve,  surely.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Point still stands that lumping people who have fled war and persecution in with people who have hopped on a plane go take a job in are bar or a warehouse isn't right.

On the subject of Rwanda, didn't Israel have a similar deal, which actually ended up with more trafficking just from Rwanda instead?

Oh I agree, but when people arrive after being trafficked, any documents on them are generally destroyed meaning there is no traceability  (to prevent return deportation) and therefore everyone seems the same in that respect.

We could, and probably should, just let everyone in (our immigrant numbers are really low) but people will bitch and moan when times get financially tough, as we are regrettably quite a xenophobic nation, perhaps this stems from being an island nation?

Our population growth isn’t particularly large, it’s a lot less than most times in our industrial and post-industrial history, so I’ve never understood why people get so worked up about net migration in this country. Certainly we’ve had far more rapid growth in the past and survived as a nation, during the baby boom period we had political will for the government to build housing which was fine for example . The government ideologically refusing to build public housing since it came into power in 2010 certainly hasn’t helped.

But endless empty billionaire properties owned by overseas investors using London as a tax haven or the rampant landlordism that started in this country in the 1980s where one person owns 5 houses and rents out each room in short-term house share lets, churning through tenants and charging them extortionate rent is ultimately the major reason for the housing shortage and why people can’t get on the ladder. Far more so than population growth.

There’s more than enough actual houses out there to house the nation right now if there was the political will for it.

Edited by Sampson

36 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Our population growth isn’t particularly large, it’s a lot less than most times in our industrial and post-industrial history, so I’ve never understood why people get so worked up about net migration in this county. Certainly we’ve had far more rapid growth in the past and survived as a nation, during the baby boom period we had political will for the government to build housing which was fine for example . The government ideologically refusing to build public housing since it came into power in 2010 certainly hasn’t helped.

But endless empty billionaire properties owned by overseas investors using London as a tax haven or the rampant landlordism that started in this country in the 1980s where one person owns 5 houses and rents out each room in short-term house share lets, churning through tenants and charging them extortionate rent is ultimately the major reason for the housing shortage and why people can’t get on the ladder. Far more so than population growth.

There’s more than enough actual houses out there to house the nation right now if there was the political will for it.

It’s true, you cannot have a decline in public housing, especially not at a time of hardship. I did see Gove has proposed something about developer requiring to provide a portion of their revenue to councils to facilitate housing rather than imposing specific ratios for affordable housing< now on the one hand this sounds like it would relinquish developers from this requirement but on the other, allow councils to truly reimagine the public housing models required by so many areas/people.

Need to read it a little further though!

9 hours ago, chapero82 said:

Watching this you realise how stupid people are…

This is just tragic, the mental gymnastics is terrifying. Pretty much all the same demographic age-wise too, why are the older lot so subservient to Johnson’s tories? It’s genuinely like watching a video of older Russians dedicating themselves to Vlad. 

3 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

In answer to my own question. It should be published between June and July this year. 

Probably explains why you thought it was late if you were expecting it a year ago :D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Yes relatively updated total population for England and UK, and different ethnicities splits. 

Got it, thank you.

Tbh I would be interested in seeing the latest world population data to see how that is changing, so I understand the interest. Not so interested in the demographic splits other than as a possible functionof resource consumption, though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

It’s true, you cannot have a decline in public housing, especially not at a time of hardship. I did see Gove has proposed something about developer requiring to provide a portion of their revenue to councils to facilitate housing rather than imposing specific ratios for affordable housing< now on the one hand this sounds like it would relinquish developers from this requirement but on the other, allow councils to truly reimagine the public housing models required by so many areas/people.

Need to read it a little further though!

This already happens in many places. I know of developers that offered to build affordable houses on council land but the council insisted on taking the cash. At which point it gets lost into the public sector ether.

There also more and more stories of developers getting their affordable housing contribution and S106 cash returned as the council's are struggling to demonstrate how they invested it once taken to court.